Hadrian's Wall 2014

Comments

• Seb 

You can walk, and you can run fast. 

I am sure you can manage something betwixt.   

Walk the hills, run the flats and downhills, and it will quickly work itself out!

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Thanks Ben. Still sleeping on it for now. Further complicated by being offered a ballot place for Berlin marathon in Sept 2014, so might need to choose one over the other now. Might end up rolling this over to 2015.

• image *waves to Speedy*

I've just fell over on muddy steps and sprained my wrist. Could be worse... It could be an ankleimage
  • May enter at weekend ? thinking of doing race to the stones in july birthday treat. The wall is a great run . How is everyone ?
  • So I finally entered the one dayer (expert... gulp)

Just need to start running again. Does anyone have a good training plan that they have used for this event? I've looked at the one on the event website, but I'm struggling to make head or tail of it...

Cheers

• I'm thinking of using a tweaked version of this. It's for 50M so about 19 shy, but looks good, might stretch some of the long runs, I didn't go over 26.2m when I trained for my first 50, so might stick in a low 30s

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50m.asp

• I'm thinking of finding a 100k training schedule, 100k works out about 62miles so I suppose it should be close enough compared to a 50 or 100 mile training plan...

• Yup,

But I think most end up with finding something and customising it, just go with whatever feels good to you image  Might be worth looking at a 100m and then cutting it down a bit would be interesting to look at.  Think i'm going to take a peek as i've got 86m in august.

• Nudge....

so there were over 320 just doing the1day version last year, is this the biggest in amount of participants ultra over 50m in the uk?

What are your goals? 

I've an unrealistic A target of sub 15h sensible B target of 17.5h ( I have added half an hours leeway) and a content C if getting around and finishing it.

• just found this thread and picked up lots of useful tips, booking accommodation Friday night for 1.. as a first time ultra-er lots of  questions, info to get my head round and little flutters of anxiety to address...great reading thru conversations

• Booktrunk

I think you should wait until after the MK marathon before you set a target. 

If you can knock a lump off your PB, then obviously we could tighten up the target for the Wall. 

• Hah image positive thinking image I like it.

funny thing is in a marathon, it's one 26.2 hard race image whereas the ultras are all 9-15 miles between checkpoints so I think in my mind I am more relaxed considering a longer ultra compared to a marathon image I wonder if that makes sense! image I'm never going to be at the fast end, so a 10 minute pit stop won't kill me but is wonderfully refreshing 

• I should clarify the ultras I'm entered into. not all ultras image 

• Hotel booked at Carlisle... Not sure what to do at Newcastle - Haven't got the foggiest on what time I'll finish...

• thanks mr ben davies15,what a comprehensive reply, much appreciated. I have now found this thread...gear is something to think about, I run in all weathers but it is the time factor which makes me re think "my wardrobe". .and  head torch, never done that before although probably should have (tripped once broke ribs and got a corker of a black eye)..any jacket  top tips?

• Most ultra runners tend to use lightweight hill walking jackets rather than ones specifically designed for running, because they handle heavy weather better.  The most important feature when choosing a jacket is the hood.  Once you have tightened up all the toggles, you should be able to rotate your head left and right, and the hood should move with the head allowing you to see.  It is a good idea to visit somewhere like Cotswold Outdoor or Go Outdooors, where you can try on different makes and find out which one matches your body best. 

Ideally you want some sort of lightweight waterproof jacket using a fabric such as Goretex Active Shell, eVENT or Pertex Shield.  If this is a bit more than you want to spend then something like Berghaus AQ2 is still very effective.  Give some thought to the arrangement of the pockets and whether you will be able to get to them while you are wearing a pack.  I like a jacket with a kangaroo pouch myself, but others may differ on this. 

If you find a jacket that you think might be a winner, you are welcome to ask me about it.  I worked in outdoor retail for a few years, so I can answer most questions. 

• I think you'll find it's Captain Ben Davies not Mr.

• hey I think captain may be fitting after another comprehensive reply! again really appreciated. when do most folk commence training? usually for a marathon I follow a 16 wk plan, I have been mooching around for different plans and views, I always feel focused with a plan and a goal, I may sound a little sad but I am looking forward to the training and event, something which is lost on my friends when I inform them of the "little run in june*

• Me and my brother are starting our 24 week plan from Relentless Forward Progress (great read btw) on 6th Jan.....gulp!!

• Evening All, took the plunge, I'm entered (challenger) first ultra!

Running London in April too.

Haven't read the entire forum yet but will do in the coming days, as I've got questions regarding training, kit etc.. 

Gaz.

• That's it, it's 2014, the countdown begins! Good luck with your training everybody! See you all in June image

• Morning All,

Up early contemplating an early morning run in the rain!

Looking for some advice, can I get an idea of what footwear people have worn in past years doing this? 

I've heard trail shoes are a no-no, as a lot of road & paved trails. My road shoes are Adidas Adizero Adios 2's, so pretty lightweight, as good as these are, I don't think they would be suitable, due to lack of cushioning over long, long distances.

Suggestions greatly received, I appreciate all won't be suitable to me, due to foot type etc..

Gareth.

• Hey all, hope training is going ok.

I'm just wondering what people use to charge garmin/gps systems? Pretty sure I'll need some juice in between day 1 and 2....any recommendations?

Thank you!

• Hi Adrian. I am using my garmin 310 and having a powermonkey in my midway drop bag. garmin 310 'should' get about 20 hours so hoping a quick charge while I have a hot meal and a rest should see me through to the end.

• Would lending a second device and using that for day 2 be an option Adrian?

• a cheap battery pack from amazon rechargable via the mains, but you fully charge it in advance, then overnight you can plug your garmin into it to recharge, I did it in an ultra and put the watch in my backpack and it kept recording happily whilst it was charging.

• Thanks all - had a look through and the best on amazon seems to be powermonkey and also a Duracell USB charger. That one seems a bit cheaper as well but rated slightly less than the powermonkey. 

Re borrowing another gps. I'd like to track my heart rate and my wife's garmin won't sync with my softtouch hrm and thus I don't want to wear her harder hrm version. Anyways, small details I think! Thanks for the replies though!