Thames Path 100

Comments

• Errr... terrible training wise. Bad case of man flu and a minor bike fall means I have only run once in the last 3 weeks, although that was St Peters Way - which has confirmed my retirement from winter ultras....  Colchester Half Marathon on Sunday to see if the legs still work, and then I better get back to the plan. Which doesn't include any more ultras - just a couple of marathons in April - Bungay as a pace test, and an LDWA as a last long slow run the week after.

Is that likely to make me the worst prepared on the day ?

• Nah, a couple of marathons in April is more than I'm doing. Just watch, folk will be sandbagging (although hopefully not due to any more floods) like crazy in the lead up to the day, most of the competition seems to be who who has done the least training or who is the most injured. If you're okay for the maras you'll be okay for the hundo.

Sorry to hear about the bike fall, I had a crazy one just over a year ago when a car decided to see how far it could flip me, but I was very lucky really. I hope you recover well, and it doesn't knock your confidence. I love cycling, but the more I do it the more I realise this country really isn't designed for it. Sad really. 

• I'm officially out.  not been able to run since pilgrims challenge on Feb 1st.  Much as I enjoyed that race it's been haunting me since...

• All going well my end. Everything going alarming to plan.

Got the MCN40 next weekend then the Coventry way 40 followed by a couple of  maras and a two week taper then I'm done.

I just need to shed a few pounds to get to racing weight so from Monday the healthy eating resumes. 7 pound to shift.

Your training doesn't sound too bad Kevin. I wouldn't worry.

Are you on the TP recce tomorrow Tiago? Social Ultra have organised a 45 miler. Can't make it myself but I'll doing 25 mile on the North downs. 

• Oh there is one problem. Shoes..

Had the New Balance Leadvilles sent through and sent them straight back. Just didn't suit my feet.

Have just had Mizuno Ascends sent through which I've tried but they have niggled an old injury so i'll have to ditch those. Waste of £65.

So no idea about shoes!!!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Bare feet it is then, *Dill*.

• T you might be right. I'm getting peed right off with it.

• Likely Reebok Zigtech, but if I did opt for trail shoes NorthFace Singletrack suit me really well.
  • I didn't know about that one, Dill, so I'm doing the Billy-no-mates reccee run. I live near Wallingford anyway, so it's easy.

Sorry about the DNS, rumrunner, better to make the decision now I guess.

I'm wearing trailroc 245s or lunar racers for the majority of my runs at the moment. I'm wondering is New Balance fresh foam might be worth a punt on the day.

• Ran 20 miles on the path from Wallingford yesterday, and apart from the usual closure of Benson Lock, and a marshy section near Culham, it was all pretty dry and runnable, which is remarkable really considering what it was like just a few weeks ago.

Thought my Garmin had failed on me today, which for me is a terrible fear, right up there with Sky Sports crashing.

• I'm Garmin-ng too. The old battery life question - I've got a 310XT, and it looks like the cheapest way of solving the problem is just to buy another 310XT. Used / refurbs go for about £100, and by the time I've used one up I will be mentally incapable of doing anything complicated so sticking to the same watch might be wise. I know it sounds a bit extravagant, but its cheaper than a brand new mega-battery life watch which I don't really want or need.

On that point, does anyone have a Garmin track of the actual non-flood route ? Running that as a course would put the watch in countdown mode, which would solve the problem of me trying to do the mental arithmetic of when I started the 2nd watch - I know how bad my fatigued brain gets, so thats the safest option for me.

• watch wise I think im not even going to turn the GPS bit on and just use it as a normal watch. Just going to write down cut of times on my race number and run to how I feel on the day image My training has been a bit on and off after the Thames trot 50 on the 1st feb. Tweaked my knee a little and mashed my hamstrings so just backed off and going with the idea that I would rather get to the start line with the least amount of damage I can in prep for getting smashed ha ha ha!

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Have been on the injury bench for the last 5 months with two prolapsed disks on my back and this is the last 'proper' even I did.

Gutted I'm not happily training with with this to look forward to, I think it's time to sign up as a check point soup pourer and 3am arse kicker!
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

£20 for a USB battery stick in in an iPod arm sleeve, run your watches USB cable from it to the watch and charge it whilst running will not see the display but will still beep and only need a few hours charging at an appropriate time before dark to keep you going. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that, mr f.  Have you had your surgery?  Hope you have a good comeback.  I'll be up for your soup!  (And hope I don't need the kick ...)

Looking forward to this a lot.

• I'm in the same boat as you mr f.

Been suffering since crashing my push-bike  before Christmas  so did the sensible thing yesterday and withdrew from this race for this year.( Well gutted.) image

Not too worry though, plenty more races for me in the future once I'm healthy enough.

This time I'll have to settle for helping out at check-point Radley , 95 miles mark.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

• oh man lots of folks on the sideline! image sorry guys! My "training" hasn't really gone to plan after lots of niggles and strain after the TT50 but reading your comments I shall shut up and make the best of it! image

Nervous but getting excited now! Looking forward to big smiles from the check point crew! image

• image   here's one to get you in the mood B2B.

• It's amazing after a whole winter of rain and remembering what the TT50 was like, but the towpath from Marlow up to Reading is in a beautiful condition. It has been lovely running along it over the last week or so. Here's to hoping it stays in that way for another 5 weeks!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

So the path is still there??  That's good news.  What about signage?

• The path is still a bit marshy in places between Wallingford and Culham, nothing too bad though, and as Torq says, it's amazing considering it had been under several feet of water all winter. The signs appear to remain standing.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

It would be good to try to get the chat going on this - it's not really very far away now.

Whatever happens it will be a 100-mile PB for me.  The other two I've done were in times beyond the cut off of this one!  That's assuming I finish which I intend to.

Does anyone know if there is plenty of parking at the race finish area?  You might not know since the race has never got that far before.

I think it's going to be road shoes for first half, trail second, and carry a mid-layer as well as a waterproof one in case of hypothermia, etc (which seems highly unlikely).

Any other gear tips?

• Parking anywhere in Oxford is a nightmare, T Rex, so I'd be surprised if it was easy, especially with it being so near the centre.

I like your road/trail shoe 50/50 idea, I might follow suit on that one.

• scary time for me at the moment!! Had physio yesterday. Had ultrasound and taped up at right now. Apparently I have short hamstrings (who knew eh?!)

Need to go back for massage, ultrasound and acupuncture then work on strength and stretch till kick off image

Guess this whole month will be my taper then!! image

This is my first 100 so im not quite sure what will happen past 60 odd miles.

My plan at the moment is to travel light and leave 1 drop bag around 70 with a warmer layer, over trousers and a change of socks. I am only going to carry "emergency" food as centurion do a great job of aid stations! 

Nearly picnic time!! image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

B2B: I was just reading up on it and you can have 50 / 71 drop bag is that one bag that gets moved or two separate bags?

i'm excited you can tell me all the fun things I need to be aware of for when I try to tackle my first in the Winter 100 image

• B2B: Is that picnic or panic?

I feel the time is moving far too quickly towards race day and that I've not put enough training in!

Still, can't wait to get started.

• Booktrunk - you can only have 1 per permitted aid station, just write on it which station it goes to. im really looking forward to it!! Really hope I can get ride of these niggles so I can enjoy it more image

torq - definitely picnic! image 13 places to have a snack! Just a case of getting to each of them image

• Extra places for this eavent have just become available, if anybody is interested!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Don't I read that email!