Thames Path 100

Comments

• pinkbugpinkbug ✭✭✭

if I wasn't signed up for xnrg pony express the same weekend, I would be interestedimage definitely want to do it next yearimage

• It's all gone quiet?

How's everyone feeling as the big day is approaching and when does the taper start?

Always feel that one more long run won't hurt but wonder whether, should I be looking to reduce the mileage ready for the race.

Also, still need to get a whistle!

• Torq,

My taper started after the green man ultra four weeks ago, I haven't or won't run over 25 miles now. I swim and do more core work in the gym, less chance of injury. 

I go from confident to will I finsh at least four time a week, but you can only do you best on the day and if it isn't good enough come back the next year.  

Weathers getting better so feeling good to finish, just need to go over the route a few times.

• I don't get on that well with tapers, so I'll just cut back a little bit for the last two weeks.

I will definitely wobble a lot in the last few weeks, I tend to swing between feeling daunted and feeling excited.

• Road marathon tomorrow and 27m trail run next weekend. Funny feeling in my left foot so tomorrow will confirm whether its a stres fracture or not. Shouldn't be based on what I've been doing but it does feel uncomfortably familiar....
  • hey folks, with my hamstring stuff from feb ive not been running loads. Not run for a couple of weeks now...actually starting to feel really good. Going to start a few short runs next week and just keep everything low and slow till kick off!

As GTD said, you can always come back next year! Im trying my hardest to not get too freaked out by it all and just have a laugh and give it a shot.

Everyone got their kit sorted? I still need to grab a map but apart from that and a few snacks I think I have everything...

• received my map today eeeeek! getting real very fast! image 

• And e-mail from Centurion today as well, nearly there now, well the start line at least.

• My last long run yesterday at the Coventry Way 40. All went well so ready to go!

Race report at http://dill-runs.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-coventry-way-40.html if anyone interested.

Just a 25 miler next weekend then full on taper time.

• Omg just reading back through this thread. Is anyone going into this fit?image

I'm finally down to two pairs of shoes its either Sketchers GoRun Ultras or Mizuno Wave Harriers. Decisions decisions.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I'm OK, *Dill*.  Connemara 39.3 last Sunday and feel recovered already.  Just one more marathon in my build-up.

One of the few times when I managed to run the 2-mile hill that starts at mile 35, despite a ferocious head wind that was at times Force 7.

Take both shoes and change half way (if you have time).

• Glad to hear it T and I hope everyone else makes it to race day ok.

Not a bad shout on the shoes. I had bought the Sketchers specifically for the race but I'm edging towards the Mizunos just worried they may be a bit aggressive for the terrain. 

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

They'll be good if it's muddy, *Dill*.  I've got Wave Ascends which are good on dry trails but not very grippy.

Looking at the race entries there seems to be a huge crowd of starters, far more than when I last looked several weeks ago. Can't see Mark Steinle on the list so no super-fast times, (unless there' are other greyhounds out there that I don't know).  Mind you, you're no slouch these days, *Dill*.

With the Benson Lock section supposedly closed I wonder how we are supposed to get across the river at that point?  Better bring some trunks ...

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Or perhaps they're providing a boat, hopefully with on-board bar?

• T rex - My money is on Ed Catmur, speedy speedy!

• In fact I am predicting a new record, lets go with....15:05

• RE Benson Lock, the current diversion has you continuing down the high street, crossing the bridge, rather than joining the Thames Path, then turning left onto Benson Lane and basically following that to Benson, with a turn off the A4074 taking you into the village - so the river crossing is in Wallingford rather than Benson. It's quite straightforward, and hopefully unnecessary, as the lock is 'supposed' to be open in time. I'll jog over there and check the weekend before.

I have no idea what trainers to wear if it's muddy, my trail shoes are in a poor state, but I shouldn't buy a new pair at the moment.

• Just had a quick look through start list and Ed should win but the battle will be for the  other podium places. Martin Bacon, David Ross, Luke Ashton will all be in with a shout. Should be good.

I'm going to do my last long run in my Sketchers on Saturday then my mind should be made up. Weather dependent of course.

• first run for nearly 3 weeks last night, little 5k around the block. little worried that it felt a bit tougher than expected. I was massively overdressed and for sure running to fast....I felt like a puppy, let out for the first time! On the plus side my leg is feeling a lot better! image

Physio again tonight for some more acupuncture then im going to put in a few more short runs before weeping at the start line....I mean...rip it up! image

• Whats been up B2B? I suffer quite a bit with my hip and hamstring. Although its ok at the moment. *touching wood*.

• same thing actually! hamstring and hip after race to the stones back in july. it was crazy hot so I was reduced to a walk for about 18 hours. my walking technique wasn't great so I was over striding the whole time. then obviously like ever other ultra runner ever simply ignored the problem hoping it would go away with the aid of more running.

the acupuncture last night coupled with ultrasound, massage and tape feels surprisingly good today! I think I might be back in the game

This combination is my new favorite thing image

• Pacers ?  What do people think ?  I'm inclined not to, but some people seem to view it as essential. Not been beyond 60 miles before, but I can imagine how grim it will get...

My 'stress fracture' still presumably isn't - hopefully just a stiff foot - and I need to get some work done on one hamstring too. Not much else I can really do at this stage !

• B2B. I get horrendous pain in my hip from time to time. Trochanteric bursitis. It spreads pain through my hip, groin and feels like I've been kicked in the balls. Just as I start dealing with the pain my glutes will go into spasm, yanking on my hamstring. Not pleasant, so i'm feeling your pain lol.

Kevin. I used a pacer during the W100 for the last 25mile and one for the last 30 of the GUCR with mixed results. Both good friends with very different results. During Grand union my pacer was ace, I had real doubts about finishing until we met at mile 115. He made sure I ate and gave me a kick up the arse to get me to the end. However my W100 pacer was a bit weak with me and I lost a 4th place finish in the last 5 mile (although I'm not blaming him for my short comings). I really needed a good hard kick up the arse and didn't get it he was far too nice. If you are thinking of just getting round you won't need a pacer. It can get grim near the end but I'm sure you'll buddy up if need be. Sometimes though you just want to be on your own because just getting round can take an awful lot of concentration and chatting is the last thing on your mind.

• Interesting reading the posts of the last few months. I did the TP100 in 2012 and enjoyed it immensely. Fortunately one of the middle packers finishing before course "closed". I wish everyone well in their build up or taper down.

I recall making 2 navigation errors in the night section. One near Henley was just being dopey. I'm expecting Henley to Reading will be still light with the May timing this year? Not quite sure where the other error was, but I remember wading through a stream up to waist to get back on track. I was soaked anyway.

The aid stations were excellent. Well stocked and some inside such as Streatley. Don't linger in the temping warmth though - you'll never restart.

Just signed up for W100 later in year so looking forward to more tramping of the Thames Path and exploring the Ridgeway.

Best of luck to everyone. Enjoy.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I never use crews or pacers.  That's just me.  I see having to be self-reliant as part of the challenge.

Thanks, Hh.

Only 17 days to go.  Eeek!!

• Thanks Dill & TR - sounds good. I don't conceptually think pacers fit with the challenge either, so happy to take my chances - especially as the time isn't really important, although I would be delighted if I can scrape under 24hrs.

Bit concerned that all the diversions on the Thames Trot will confuse me when I am at my most befuddled.... that was supposed to be a route recce but could now actually take me off course !

• Dill - ouch! bad times! just hope everything holds out for race day! image

Personally I am just aiming to just get round so I will head for the "buddy" option if needed image 

Kevin - the trot was a nightmare! so glad I was with someone who had done it before!! Im just going to put it out of my head as we are heading the other way anyway image

T Rex - 16 now!! image

• 16 days! Better start training, I mean packing. 

I keep going over the race detail, sub 24 sounds so easy on paper, but I'll just be happy to finish in time. Only raced up to 65 miles before and that was undulating,  so hoping I can go the distance in a good time with it being fairly flat.

I hope the signs are in a good condition so I can find my way with out to much stopping. ive found in the past lots of stopping to read maps really impacts on time over a long course, every little stop just adds up.

Just got a spektr smock for the race, had some great reviews so bought it, it's really comfortable and should keep my dry if it rains, but really hoping for a dry one i hate running in the rain.

Remember pack light image

• No pacer for me either this time. Going to use a crew, so my motivational speeches will be coming from them.

GTD. This will be my 8th hundo with Centurion and I am still yet to have to use a map. A couple of wrong turns maybe but soon got back on track. Nav will not be a problem as they are so well marked.