Ikano Robin Hood Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• Well done Martin. That`s top bombing! What sort of time are you after? And you Also-ran?

I got mine done. 20.15 done in 3.06. Went to plan. Upped it a little on my third 5 mile lap to be nearer target pace. That said, MP runs are a bit tough / irrelevant around the hills of Sheffield. Hope the weather is similar to today on our big day!

• ...I hope it isn't - I went for a run by the Trent, which was fine, but heading back west afterwards was a bit bloody windy.

• Yeh Also Ran..so you are on the marathon line after all. I'll send you some of my rice pudding supplies over by virtual airwavesimage..although I don't think you need it with a Half time like that. Well done Egyptian Toe, always good to get that last one banked safely..taper time!

Hiya Literatin, long time since we had a chat!

• Hi brer! You probably won't want to chat to me when you find out I am only doing the half. But I did do the Belper 30k!

• I had a lovely 10 miler along the Trent yesterday, so I feel ready for the half. My last half was the GNR 4years ago.

• You didn't pass a girl in horrific neon yellow trainers down by the Victoria Embankment or the Clifton underpass, I suppose?

• Thanks Also-ran and E-Toe.  It's too easy to get downhearted at times when a Marathon is coming up isn't it?

I have to remember that my previous long runs all went really well, I guess this one was more about time on my feet and practicing some mental toughness!

Will make the most of the taper now.  I've got a sports massage booked in for this Thursday then another the Monday before the race.

My training has been pretty good for Nottingham, lots of long runs over the last few months (14, 16, 18, 18, 20, 20 & 22 miles) and I've been disciplined and done speedwork or Hill repeats at least twice a week too. 

I had a 89.55 in the Reading Half (previous PB was 1:41), got a 10k PB of 39:30 and 5k down to 19:04 (was 20:34 this time last year) so my running has been really coming on.  Hoping for a sub 3:15, maybe even sub 3:10 (current PB from my first Marathon at Liverpool last year is 3:41) but that might be pushing my luck!

• Hey Literatin, why would I shun you because you are doing Half, I'm sure you'll whip itimage

• Good stuff Martin. Looks like you have come on lots. I`m at 1.37 HM and did a 20.46 5k a week or two ago. Not done a quick 10k for a while but I did 3.49 at a tough Shrewsbury marathon in June which was a big PB. I`d love to get to the `subs` you are at!

literatin - funnily enough I got a package from Belper today with a t-shirt in my size in it!

• REALLY??? Because I never got a t-shirt at all, having entered on the day and they told me there were none left! All I got was a co-op bag full of strange things.

Martin - sounds like you will smash it. Your 5k and 10k are noticeably better than mine and my marathon time is well under 3:15. And you've done all the long runs for this one...

brer - dunno, just thought you might look down on lightweight 1-marathon-a-year types... image

• I eod`ed to but fluttered my eyelashes a bit and now I have 2! I really wanted a memento for what was a tough race to me! Is a small one any use to you?

• Well... yes, as I am quite small. I should confess though that I wouldn't wear it much because white isn't really my colour, but I want it because it says '30km of pure pleasure' on it which I think is hilarious. image

• Cool. If you PM me your address I`ll try and send it to you (stamps weren`t franked so I ought to pass on the good will!).

• I'm leading the 3 hour bus at Nottingham if anyone is looking for 2.59

• The last bus I got in Nottingham was a Barton's to my school - I'm sure you will keep better time HD. I'm hoping to keep a few mins infront of you - we will see. If not  I will get on the back seat when you pass me.

• We're coming over from York for the half, girlfriends parents live in Leicester so only a 45 minute drive over from theirs on the morning. I'm similar to Martin, chasing new PB's across the year. So far I've managed to get my times down for other distances but haven't had a crack at a half (at least in a race) yet this year;

5K - 18.33 down to 17.58

10K - 38.38 down to 37.40

Half - Current best of 1.27.42

Marathon - 3.18 down to 3.06

We're both doing the GNR this weekend so the opportunity for a PB is there, but having done the race the last four years (I know it gets slated on here but we still love it), I'm well aware of the sheer mass of people that could hamper any such hopes. Nottingham is therefore a bit of a 'Plan B'.

Does anyone know the crack regards parking? There's a downloadable 'Race Guide' on the website now (which I assume will be sent out with the race numbers) which lists three car parks and detail's how they'll be incredibly busy! Does anyone know if the streets around Victoria Embankment are permit parking? Looking at Google Maps there seems to be plenty of houses around but with the cricket & football grounds so close I wondered if restrictions were in place? 

Cheers guys!image

• I'm coming up from London for this. I'm hoping it's flat and friendly and there's somewhere decent I can get a guilt-free pie afterwards.
  • Any sign of race packs?

And are there any marathon pacers? (think there are in the HM)

• Hd's post above suggests that there are pacers for the marathon; well a 3hr pacer if nothing else image

I changed from the half to the full last week. At the time, the woman I spoke to said packs would be out within a couple of weeks - so maybe next week Toe.

One last long run for me to go - a very relaxed time on feet affair.  I'm taking the same 2 week taper I used for VLM - trying to balance the recovery with going stir crazy

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I'm doing this, I did it last in 2010 but the route has changed. I think this is a shame since the Uni / Wollaton Park bits were the best, even with the slight hills. Boots car park doesn't have the same appeal!

• M... you still get a bit of the uni, just not the same bit, though agree that Wollaton Park was a lot more scenic and better-supported than Boots.

So my race number arrived in the post today and so did my Belper 30k t-shirt - thanks ET! Fits perfectly and boasts of 30 kilometres of sheer enjoyment. image And the stamp still isn't postmarked - bonus!

• Glad it got there safely lit!

I`ve not done any running since Wednesday. Been ill, first time for ages but it shouldn`t do too much damage to the training I`ve already done,  should it?

Got a reply and they reckon there will be pace-makers for the full every 15 minutes. I guess I ought to follow the 3`45 pace.

No race pack here yet.

• ET - it'll be fine. You have to be ill during the taper. It's the law.

• literatin wrote (see)

ET - it'll be fine. You have to be ill during the taper. It's the law.

lol. Thanks. I was so lucky with my build up to Shrewsbury but this one has not been exactly textbook.

• ET, while you are home feeling ill, just picture the rest of us overtraining and doing more harm than good.

• No race pack for me yetimage Number 17 of 2013 marathon completed yesterday in 3:39...trail marathon and loads of toilet issuesimage. Not enough rice pud and too much bread.

ET, hope you feel better soon.

• Anyone know anyone with a spare bib? I've had to pull out of Chester on the following week due to work.... So fancy this one if at all possible?

• Thanks for the well wishes! It is helping. Feel very sorry for myself.

Simon - I reckon you might be able to eod if you ask nicely enough.

• Worth a thought, i'll drop the organisers an email and see if its a possibility to just turn up and enter.... In the meanwhile if anyone knows of anyone i'll happily buy their bib instead of it going to waste