Bitten / chased by dogs

13»

Comments

• Oh ok, I must of read it wrong. My apologies.

• I walk out of place that have caged birds or serve shark fin soup. I don't own a pet. 

• I have a lovely little budgie who has more space in the house which she claims as "hers" than I do - currently she has the whole conservatory with toys and perches hung up all over the house and her cage is never closed. She is a happy, healthy bird who loves reggae and (bizarrely) Italian male choral music. As with all things, it is a massive generalisation to say that keeping pet birds is cruel.

• To say keeping birds in cages is cruel is generally true. It's very silly to say it is a massive generalisation. Your bird seems a little better off than most but you are denying it the right to the freedom is has in the wild. You are a nice slave owner, less cruel than some but still part of the process that brings wild birds away from their homes into slavery. 

• Have to question how may budgies are captured from the wild?

I imagine as with most domesticated animals it has been bred from stock for generations and would probably do worse/ live a shorter life without people feeding and protecting them.

Just saying.....

• Anyway wasn't this thread about dogs???? image

• Part of the process. Slaves were bred from slaves. The same argument was made that they would be better off kept in slavery than allowed to be free back then.

Budgies are still captured in the wild. They cut the legs off a bird and it's distress calls attract more birds who then end up in the net. Can you imagine how amazing it would be to fly and then someone keeps you in a small environment. A massive generalisation she said. Really?

Another example of so called animal lovers being selfish and putting their wants ahead of the animals well being.

• And budgies are social creatures. Imagined being deprived of your own species and unable to mate. A massive generalisation she says. Would you swap your life for your plaything Rachael? I think not.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

To say keeping birds in cages is cruel is generally true. It's very silly to say it is a massive generalisation. Your bird seems a little better off than most but you are denying it the right to the freedom is has in the wild. You are a nice slave owner, less cruel than some but still part of the process that brings wild birds away from their homes into slavery. 

As an ornithologist I can tell that most people are unaware of the level of disease and more often parasites that wild birds contend with. Tapeworms are common and I've seen tics on all sorts of birds. 

The wild bird looks healthy enough but its only a matter of time before its host to something. Some aquire their life long pests in the nest. Unlike captive birds, they have no humans to rid them of their afflictions.

🙂

• How would these wild creatures survive without us humans eh? 

• SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭
    Roger the dodger wrote (see)

Anyway wasn't this thread about dogs???? image

I think the thread has been collared from the cheep cheep seats...... poking their beaks into the subject.

It is a bit ruff down there.... they are all barking mad you know. But I do not think we have seen the tail end of it though... it seems to have wings image