Half marathon advice

Hi guys, 

I'm currently training for a half marathon in Korea in August. This is my first half marathon. Previously I have just ran 10k races. 

I have been following a training plan but recently i have been unable to follow it quite so well due to having a week and a half odue because if sickness and now because the monsoon season has come early. 

I was running 10k fairly frequently a couple of months ago however now the furthest I've run has been around 8.5k but then had to stop due to blisters ( I need to buy some more running trainers) 

so my question is, do I still have time to be able to train for this half marathon taking into account that a) it is my first one b) I have roughly 7 weeks and my longest runs are between 8-10k and c) my training might be a bit more sporadic now the monsoon season is here. 

I would hate not to be able to finish it as I've been really getting into running. Any advice would be more than appreciated. I'm very nervous about it! 

Thank you! 

Eleanor

Comments

• Hi guys, 

I'm currently training for a half marathon in Korea in August. This is my first half marathon. Previously I have just ran 10k races. 

I have been following a training plan but recently i have been unable to follow it quite so well due to having a week and a half of because of sickness and now because the monsoon season has come early. 

I was running 10k fairly frequently a couple of months ago however now the furthest I've run has been around 8.5k but then had to stop due to blisters ( I need to buy some more running trainers) 

so my question is, do I still have time to be able to train for this half marathon taking into account that a) it is my first one b) I have roughly 7 weeks and my longest runs are between 8-10k and c) my training might be a bit more sporadic now the monsoon season is here. 

I would hate not to be able to finish it as I've been really getting into running. Any advice would be more than appreciated. I'm very nervous about it! 

Thank you! 

Eleanor

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I would say you can finish it if you stay steady and don't push the speed.  A lot of training plans take you from nothing to half marathon in 16 weeks, so at a bit less than half the distance with a bit less than half the time on the schedule to go, you are not far off, if you can fit in your long runs each week (extend them by a mile a week and you will get there - if you can run 10-11 miles you will be able to complete a half - you don't actually need to run 13 miles before the day).  If you don't feel you can run it all, you can always plan a run/walk strategy, where you walk for one or two minutes in every 10, that should get you round.

• I'm not an expert but I did manage something similar last year for Glasgow. 

If say, you're doing 3 runs per week I'd do your 10k twice a week during the week and a long run at the weekend.  It's more thanf easible for you to put your long run distance up to 8 slow and easy miles this weekend and then start increasing it by half a mile to a mile each week and you'll more than cover half marathon distance before the big day.

Just don't start going for as long as you can on each run as you'll get injured..  On your two shorter runs focus on getting your speed up a little bit.

Hope that helps

• Thanks for your advice. I bought new trainers this weekend and went for a 10k today and flew around my course. Amazing what good supportive trainers can do! I feel a lot more confident about tackling an 8 mile run this weekend now. I just need to keep on top of my long runs now and make sure I'm increasing the distance.