1K Times

Hi

I have been running/walk programme for about 6 weeks now.

Yesterday, I took part in a 1k with my 8 year old daughter running beside me. I took 4.02 minutes. 

I am not comparing myself to others, but just wondering if I was really slow, or whether that is reasonable for a first race? Trying to figure it out, so I know what to aim for next time- 3k.

Thanks in advance for your comments. 

Comments

• If you scale that up to a 10k time - that would be 40 mins (assuming you didnt fade) which is pretty good even for blokes - let alone 8 year olds.

I'd not worry too much about times though - I'd just carry on and enjoy the running.

Run steady and you can obsess about speed further on down the line.

A local parkrun of 5k is a great introduction to racing too.
  • Yes, I have thought about the parkrun Cougie, but to be honest, it intimidates me right now. I think I lied when I said I don't care about other times lol.

I can walk/run a 5k, but not run it consistently yet. When I check recent parktimes, they seem to be better than I can manage, and I know I should not worry, but I hate the thought of being the last name on the list- competitive??

Do you know if people do walk/run the Parkruns, like say a 6/3 split run/walk?

Thanks for your comment.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I have to say, thats a fairly tasty 1k time for an 8 yr old girl.

I'm not a fan of park runs, but they are an excellent way for an introduction to races, and whether you run/walk, or just run, I doubt you will be out of place.
    Just look at the array of times for them at your local race, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Or if you feel intimidated, why not just go along and compete without bar code and see how you get on, you can always veer off and make it look like your just having a run...

• 4:02 for a 1k off a 6 week run/walk program?

Impressive if the time and distance are accurate, particularly if you walked some of it yesterday? Even more so for your daughter. She'd probably be challenging for the U9 record at many clubs with that time - presumably she's already either involved in with a club or doing lots of running for her school?

Neither of you should have any worries about appearing at the back of the field of any parkrun event off the back of that. Top half at least I'd have thought, though 5k is obviously a long way for an 8yo.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    According to McMillan that time would put you around 23 mins for a 5k.

You would be in the top 1/3 of most with that time.
  • Plenty of people walk run park runs. I ran with my wife at the weekend and the bloke in front pipped us at 27 mins or something and he walked up the last hill.

They're really very inclusive - its only competitive at the front in my experience - there's a lot of people just happy to be out running.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

How about a race for life, my wife did one and took 46 minutes, her friend 50 odd minutes - there were loads in front of them BUT loads behind, womans only too which is a great incentive for many woman to give it a go.

• Hi I have just missed the local one Grendel3 image.

Cougie, I registered last night for Parkrun! I am convinced I will be the slowest and fattest there, but I really want to improve my fitness and eventually my times. I will not be able to do it every week, just once in a while as my husband works on Sats, but looking forward to it!

• Good work Gillian - you'll enjoy it. You can always check their results anyway to see where you might finish - but :

1. You always run faster in a race

2. Someone has to finish last and they usually get the biggest cheer
  • A double-plus-one for parkrun. There is no judgement from anyone whatsoever - the whole thing has been set up with the novice/nervous/less fast runner in mind. Sure, there'll be some terrier at the front posting well under 20 minutes, but there'll be people at the back jogging through somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes and getting support from all the others. Yes, turning up the first time might seem difficult, but I can guarantee you'll like the atmosphere so much you'll go again.

• Have a look and see whether your parkrun has a tailrunner (the easiest way is to look at the 'volunteer' section of their webpage and look at the roster- there should be a tailrunner slot). My local parkrun always has a tailrunner so it means that no newbie is  ever on their own or last and they will get support/ encouragement all the way if they need it. 

And you can always take your 8 year old with you if childcare is an issue! parkrun just ask that u11s run with an adult.