Outlaw 2014

Comments

• Played some very good games in the camp site...image Don't remember any fires tho! 

• Famcy a swim on the Saturday then Barlos ...  image

• Moving over from running Ultras to Triathlon in 2014 after a long series of injuries curtailed my plans for my 40th.....Found Outlaw was just 2 weeks after my 40th birthday so perfect......Switching to the 3 disciplines has allowed me my first consistent months training since ankle break last year and absolutely loving it.

Absolutely loving the diversity in training, the fact I dont wake up every morning feeling like I have had knee swap operation with my 90 year old gran and being able to rest any niggles by switching to another discipline for a few days. 

Will undoubtedly be picking your brains over the coming months as I seem to be coming up with another raft of naive newby questions each day so go easy on me image

• I did actually read there that you woke up with your granny ... thats an entirely different forum   image

• I am from Sunderland not Newcastle so no waking up with my gran going on in this houseimage

• does anyone else find it strange that they wont just come out and say entry opens this date.........

they want people to pre register interest - i get that for £££'s etc. but then why not say when entry will actually open?

All they have said is end of the month - am i being thicker than normal?

• Budjude wrote (see)

does anyone else find it strange that they wont just come out and say entry opens this date.........

they want people to pre register interest - i get that for £££'s etc. but then why not say when entry will actually open?

All they have said is end of the month - am i being thicker than normal?

Nope, it's not just you.  I find it frustrating too.  Have pre-registered as we're entering a relay tea.  I'm out of the country until 31st August, but I was actually under the impression that entries opened early September.

If they would say when entries did open then I could maybe log in from the hotel on the day, but I doubt the wife is going to be happy if I'm wandering off to the hotel lobby to use the internet every so often, just to check if it's opened!

• Bud they normally won't say for definant until all the logistics and local's are on board. That way if the worst happens they have a barganing chip by saying well if that doesn't work we can always go elsewhere and also means they won't take your money until they know they can deliver the goods. A lot of mincing has to go into meetings and stuff for events before they are set.

• I think its part and parcel of UK long distance events, id guess its to do with getting final permission from local councils, police, highways agency, HPP, scheduling the race alongside others that havnt announced dates yet etc.

• Maybe they've seen the 'appalling graffiti' on Bolton's roads, and are worried that permission won't be given!

• Having people pre-register could also help with going to the councils and saying, we have xxx number of people already indicating interest thats, x hotels rooms and £ potentially spent in your area.

• why not say the end of sept then? give themselves loads of time to sort things out but at least everyone knows the date.

Like Pudge says - what happens if your away etc, just the logistics of not knowing in advance seems a bit dim to me and i dont see how it benefits anyone to be honest.

• Pudge wrote (see)

Maybe they've seen the 'appalling graffiti' on Bolton's roads, and are worried that permission won't be given!

I dont doubt they'll get permission, it'll be the 5th year the events run and theyve probably overcome the main obstacles including a high court injunction taken out by a resident to try and stop the race a couple of years ago.

Graffiti can be an issue though, nimbys will latch onto anything they can.

• Budjude wrote (see)

why not say the end of sept then? give themselves loads of time to sort things out but at least everyone knows the date.

Like Pudge says - what happens if your away etc, just the logistics of not knowing in advance seems a bit dim to me and i dont see how it benefits anyone to be honest.

Maybe they have to wait for British Rowing (or whoever owns HPP) to release the venue, if they say end Sept before they know definite dates and have to move to first weekend of Sept they'll get criticised for that?

• yeah i guess. damn you and your voice of reason image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Absolutely Barley - they will have cleared a certain amount with authorities at this stage but they can't open entries until said authorities have signed off on it (though they are 99.9% there if they've got a date in the public domain.)  Also, they have to sort out the webpage, for the Outlaw site, the entries site etc etc etc.  There's a fair amount of behind the scenes work that goes on and the internet-electrickery takes time to sort out as well. 

Accommodation: we stayed at a Holiday Inn that, I think, was next to the Premier Inn mentioned by Mr Foot on the previous page.  Those venues have the added benefit of being opposite a supermarket which proved very, very useful indeed.

• is there one general campsite that everyone uses?

• Plus look at the problems Challenge Henley almost got themselves in - opening entries, selling half of them before they had the bike course agreed!! If it had all gone pear shaped it would have cost JustRacing (who are don't forget a commercial company) a lot of money. And working with Council's they absolutely hate people assuming they will get permission for anything!!

And Outlaw will likely sell out anyway, so why should OSB put themselves on the line??

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Budjuice - Holme Pierrepoint has its own campsite, directly opposite the venue.

• I'm beginning to appreciate for the first time just how much goes into organising an event.  Ours is a nightmare and there's none of the logistics that would be involved in an event of this size!

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Budjuice - Holme Pierrepoint has its own campsite, directly opposite the venue.

linky image

• budjuice image

cheers cake, will have a butchers

• I'm waiting eagerly for the entries open day as ow ant to do The Big one in Bolton - will be my first.

logistic wise weary for me as used to live there and still have friends in the area.

But I'm off on a canal oat holiday in September and doubt I'll have Internet access for a week - Sod's law entries open when I'm away.

Anyone know how long it took 2013 IMUK to sell out ?

• Hello

Outlaw sounds like fun. June time?

• Nope, 27th July

And Red stripe IMUK sold out in Nov 12 for this year

• Hey guys,

Complete newbie to this forum business (well posting anyway) but I've been enjoying spending my spare time reading all the posts.

I'm 22 (male) and I've done a few shorter tri's over the last few years, and have decided to step up to iron-distance since graduating (Outlaw,2014).

Would you recommend this event as a first shot at an iron distance race??

cheers