Options

Outlaw 2014

Comments

• Options

It's not alphabetical, Seren image

Just a quick heads up to say you'll need to think about ordering PSOF Kit in this current order if you want to wear your own as I cannot guarantee there will be another order going through after this one/before Outlaw 2014

Typically, we have been running on one order a year and that has been post IM-Wales with delivery in the New Year

• Options
    Iron Ripley wrote (see)

Hmm, when are entries open for Outlaw?

RUMBLED!!!!!! Hehehehehe

Oh god i'm getting tempted, argggg.  Slightly mad considering how shite my run was this year.....argggggg. I shall think about it..... image

• Options

to those who have lots of things to sort out.eg weight and fitness............I would start these things today........

don't let yourself enter the race until you achieved certain goals......maybe a stone off......or to be able to run a half under 2 hours.......or do a 100 mile bike ride and still smile....

because its easy to think the weight will come off with lots of training........in reality for lots of us it goes on.....

so don't let yourself enter until you have proved to yourself that you are going to crack these goalsimage

says she who has had salad for 2 daysimageimage

but must now start to carbo load for sundays 112 mile bike ride in tenby

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I'm riding it on Saturday.  I think you'll be lonely on Sunday.

I can only echo Seren's sentiments.  Whilst most of us endorse the idea that anybody can do an ironman (it's the piratey way) that does come with certain conditions.  If you are a slower runner or rider or a bigger athlete (heaven knows those things include me) you have to work even harder to ensure that you will make it around that course next year.  Anybody can do an ironman but you have to go into it with your eyes open and prepared to work hard.  No excuses.  HTFU.

• Options

Agree with above if you have a weakness take time now and sort it will mean your not hammering it to much in training come March or something. For me it's always been crawl. I will crack it at some point hopefully maybe. imageimage

• Options

oh yes saturday ...image....better start carbo loading now then..wheres the beerimage

• Options

Yeah I agree with all of the above....thanks for the reality check!!!!  

Tbh my plan for post Outlaw mara was to lose the weight first before even signing up for an IM, as training for Regensburg I didn't lose a pigging thing.  Easy to get swept up in the aftermath of it all though image  Think i'll just stick to my original plan, and come support at Outlaw instead image

Phew.....

• Options

Lea......but do enter a half and when you lose the weight and get fit you can always get a late entry for a full image

• Options

Pea at the risk of sounding like a arse you a very close mate to me and the other half and she help's people with weight all the time. If you need any help and stuff just get on farsebook and message her chuckles. Worst she can do is say she's busy knitting a pixie hat.

For a start you don't get let off that easy your doing the race. image

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

this is why I am going for relay next year and full the year after - I am crap and slow on the bike and think it is going to take me a while to sort that. Master plan is to really go for outlaw half next year, and outlaw relay and really get to grips with the bike. Then I will be in a great position for 2015. It seems to take me a long time to build up - must be something to do with age - I keep expecting my body to behave like it did 20 years ago but that just doesn't workimage

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Cake and Seren both strike a chord there for me.

I put on a lot of weight during training for Outlaw 2012 and got very miserable.  In turn, this meant I wasn't enthused to train, cue downward spiral.  Towards the end of training I engaged someone to give me nutritional advise and shifted 7lbs in a short time prior to Outlaw but it was a bit too late really and I got a PW for an IM distance tri, which is a bit poo for such a flat course.  So, I didn't enter a race for 2013, I carried on losing weight and entered the race only when I felt confident that I was losing the weight and doing more quality training.  Consequently I had a much better race this year.

Outlaw will sell out in a week, I have no doubt about that, but there will be a waiting list and places will come up.  You could diet for it, train for it and only enter (put your name on waiting list) when you have reached certain goals.  It's certainly worth thinking about what you are going to change and how you are going to change it. I think RBMax has said that already too.

• Options

Thanks Cakey! I like the sound of the pixie hatsimage hehehe

Seren, the plan was to make a good headway into weight loss by end of year, and if i made good progress then sign up for IM towards end of next year, but do a half around June ish. Tbh weight loss is my main goal, and the IM is only secondary, once i've sorted the weight image 

• Options

+1 with all the others

Use a late IM as a reward for weigh loss / speed goals.  Dont enter it and go about everything half arsed.
    Its a fecking long way to that start line from here

• Options

Just in case anyone is lurking and thinking I can never do that. YES!!! you can just be realistic about what you want to do and how you are going to get there. Anyone tell's you it will never happen tell the rest of us and we can set the witch on then. Nothing worth doing is easy and some graft is needed.

Speaking of which time to enjoy the sunshine so see you later. image

• Options

EP, do you turbo in winter, does your turbo or garmin do cadence and finally ever heard of the Sufferfest?

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

EP - in terms of pushing myself in the pool I have joined a local swimming club's masters sessions. The first time I went it was so hard!! And I had been going to a tri club's swimming sessions for a while before that. So, although I haven't yet seen much gain in speed over 400m, I do feel that I am getting 2/3 decent swim sessions a week. 

+1 to turboing with sufferfest - when I first started doing that I struggled with the cadence but can now keep the cadence up to what the sufferest video tells me I should be doing at any given point. A cadence of 80/90 now feels normal so when I am out on the road I can keep it at that without having to keep my eye on the garmin all the time

• Options

+1 for sufferfest

• Options

I'll be far more blunt, and hopefully those I offend wont hunt me down in a dark alley.

There's not really an excuse for missing the bike cut-off last Sunday unless you had a major mechanical, or some sort of injury/accident/illness. The course is completely flat and there was no wind. If you consider Oxton Bank a hill, you seriously need to re-evaluate your biking. Replicating that course anywhere in the UK is not hard - its not like, for example, living in the fens and trying to train for an Alpine course. Here's what you need to do - get out and ride your bike. You have to ride fairly regular 70 - 100 mile rides in the last couple of months of training, on top of running, swimming, and other biking. It's no use doing a 6 hour bike and then sitting on your arse for the rest of the week in the belief that you've trained hard. IM training is about consistency (Rule number 4, was it? "You've got to back it up") If you found that bike course hard, the only reason is because you didnt do enough bike training.

Similarly, take a look at your swimming. The cut-offs for IM are really generous in the swim, but that means opportunity to gain more time for the bike. Its not THAT hard to get open water practice either. The swim should take almost nothing out of you - you need to build your swimming to the point where swimming 3 - 4 km is almost nothing. If you cant swim, get lessons. If you think lessons are too expensive, then dont do IM - thats going to be the least of your costs.

The distances for the swim and the bike and not a secret. You know in advance you are going to have to do these, prior to running a marathon. You should certainly swim the distance a couple of times in training, and bike somewhere in the region 95 - 100 miles a couple of times in training. Running is potentially the most damaging, so you dont really want to run further than 20miles/3hours, so the only "unknown" occurs in the last 6 miles of the whole race.

Nothing happens by magic, least of all getting to the finish line of an IM. But its not fcken rocket science to work out what sort of work you need to do to give yourself the best chance of getting there, is it?

• Options

The trouble with endurance training is it makes you very hungry and its so easy to get into the mind set of I am training for an IM therefore I can Hoover down anything in sight hence the tales of actually putting on weight ! I have got really lean for around half of the IN a I have done sure I have upped my intake but it's been good nutrition, when I haven't bothered I have stayed the same

No beating about the Bush if you have significant weight issues you are sticking to much in and not burning enough, you really must address your diet i.e quality and quantity, if you can develop the mental strength to train properly for Ironman you must use the same level of commitment and a brutal honesty to tame your calorie intake no villainy.....fact

• Options

+1 with Flyaways statement on the training aspect as well, Ironman success is about being totally painfully honest with yourself and your limitations then working your area off to fix them  No excuses get the training in if job and family mean like me the alarm goes off weekdays no later than 4:30 then so be it just buy a bloody big alarm clockimage

• Options

I'll agree with everything that everyone has said. Outlaw was my first and I knew the training that was needed. I put in a fair amount of time on the bike and in the pool or lake (not quite as much swimming), regular masters sessions and so on. I think I did 3 century rides including 112 in the windy fens, so flatter than HPP (which is harder as pedalling all day).

Running has always been my weakest element so I've tended to shy away from it. I've managed 238 miles in the whole of 2013 (excluding race day mara).

On race day I was really happy with the swim and the bike, got in feeling good as I knew I'd done it in training (except full swim distance, but I figured I've done 3k the other 900m cant be too hard).

The run was AWFUL. Yes it was hot, yes I had the wrong shoes on, yes I got wet feet and blistered, but the truth is woth little running behind me it was always going to be bad. However the training I'd done on the bike got me enough of a buffer to get me round.

End result, I'm so happy to have finished, but a little part of me is gutted that I threw away the good swim and bike time by having to walk the marathon. If I could have managed a 5:00 mara then Id have had a time starting with 13. If I'd have been a bit quicker and made it through T1 and T2 without doing my hair and having tea and cake then there was a chance it could have been even quicker. It does however come down to on the day.

I could also do with gettign rid of a few pounds. I over reward (been swimming, I'll have a slice of cake, out on the bike, stop for cake or chips image) that sort of thing.

Evaluate your goals, set targets and go for it.

I'd still be looking to enter, if people wanted to - to get the slot. BUT set realsitic goals in the build up, and if you aren't ready by a certain point then sell the place on, or get a refund.

On a slightly different note, I know times are probably widly different due to speeds and terrain variations, so I was wonderign what sort of swim/bike/ruin/miles you all banked this year. I know Fink started in December (it did, didn't it) but its easier for me to look at my records since Jan 1st this year.

I appear to have waffled a lot. I should probably write my race report, or go to sleep or something.

• Options

Some really good points above.  I've had a G&T so I'll chip in as well

Some points in no particular order

how big are peoples biggest weeks of training, (not average)......

As a back of packer you are going to be exercising for 14-17 hours in a day on race day, so sometime in the last 10 weeks did you do a 17 hour week?  If you can't do what you are going to do in a day over a week, is it any surprise that you run out of steam and have to walk the marathon.

by the last 8-10 weeks before a race you should have built your endurance to be able to do the following in any particular week, and not be broken by it,

• swim 60-90 mins (ie 2.5k-4k)
    • bike 6 hrs
    • run 2.5 hrs

thats 10 hours of training - and are the key sessions of the week.  It simulates what you have to do on race day, spread over a week.  If thats to much by 4-8 weeks out its going to be a long day.
    Add filler sessions (ie week could contain 2 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs) to give you frequency.  As a faster pirate I was doing 18-20 hr weeks, with the above key endurance sessions as the core.

A slower / newbie may be doing 10-12 hrs a week??, but specific weeks should / need to be larger??  (I bow to others opinions here as I don;t really know what others actually do)

The aim of the preceding 20 weeks training is to build you endurance up slowly so the above is doable.  start with a 30 min swim, 2 hr bike and 30 min run as your endurance sessions and slowly build

The more times you repeat your big week the better, and the better day you will have. 

If you want to go fast in IM, its not about absolute speed, but about having a big aerobic engine, and you get that by repeating the above week again and again in those last 10 weeks, (build period).
    Its not about absolute speed, just keeping a steady run going when you have ridden a long way.

It really is all about the bike

Body Weight
    a couple of good books -

• Fat chance by robert lustig
    • Why we get fat and what to do about it - gary Taubes

Essentially, get your insulin spikes under control.  Cut the sugar / refined carbs, (I know cake, buiscuits / bread, croisants etc etc (except when actually training).  Eat high fibre bread, vegetables, fruit, salad, meat etc.

Fat is not the enemy, Carbohydrates are.

Despite the high volume of training I was doing I was still carrying fat around the middle.  Swapping my diet = another stone off......

• Options

as the Flyaway and RBM have already posted exactly the same as i would have done i would also like to remind people that scrapping the cutoffs is not the way to plan your training. i know i said it on a post the other day but people still think that if they should enter an IM if they can "just get through the swim with a few extra minutes, they could just about get through the bike if its not raining or too windy and then just shuffle the mara"  i know of 1 person who could regain the ground from a close shave  on the swim cut off and hes a much better runner than me.

i think one reason that some people dont train enough is the fault of this forum and more specifically people like Seren and, dare i say, myself. Seren, by her own admission isnt the quickest but she puts in consistant training (even though she says shes lazy), she makes it look like anyone can do it, they cant. Its her that made me think i could do the double and i still found it hard, we have banter saying how easy a single ironman is and up to a point it is. I can now blag an iron distance - great, but what must be considered is the training from the previous year. Yep, Seren has been a lazy cow this year and still rocked up for the  enduro man and outlaw but had it not been for the previous years training she wouldnt have got the time she did.

With Ironman becoming the everymans race of this era lets not forget that it still takes as much training as it ever did. If you dont, cant or wont put in the hours be prepared to say hello the sweeper

i havent read all the posts properly, like my training, i CBA, so forgive if ive regurgated a load of whats been said 

• Options

flyaway......there are rules?

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

OC - as a back of packer I'm still aiming for 15+ hr peak weeks because 9+ hrs of that are the long sessions. I will look at my training logs and let you know. 

Doner - I train with Seren. She does some monster sessions so you've confused me a bit there. 

Matt - you're not fat. 

• Options

Crash Hamster's laws of triathlon training:

1. The most important role of any training session is to leave you fit to train the next day.
    2. High quality training sessions do not necessarily correlate to high heart rate training sessions
    3. No good ever came of training on a Thursday
    4. It is what it is
    5. A kill's a kill
    6 Hills are your friend
    7 It might be windy on race day.
    8 Free speed is always good
    9 You only have to be fit for one day a year
    10 HTFU, JFDI or INAKC generally covers it
    11 It could be worse, it could be raining
    12 You've got to back it up
    13 There is no rule 13
    14 When the temperature's zero, don't be a hero

• Options

INAKC? Im sure ill feel daft - what's that one?