Outlaw 2014

Comments

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Hi Melds, are you swimming today? I'm not (poorly) but happy to come and spread my germs around and get a debriefing.

I think most folks who are a bit light on biking should join a cycling club. All will do 3 hour-ish rides at the weekend for all levels, and the company makes you push a bit at times. It's particularly good during winter months when safety and braving the elements are more of an issue.

Oh yes, and do TTs!

• joining a bike club worked for me.but the first one was too small and so I was not fast enough.joined a big one and there are lots of options on virtually every day of the week..........

after term finishes next week i am going to go and join the chain gang session.did it in half term and it was so hard and rewarding......

• Nope .. I am tied to a desk (fnaar) ... neither shall I be there Monday for the same reason !!  
    Friday next week is looking like my best option to get back in the pool

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

EP - given what you said about not being able to bike to work or swim before work and that you've got a turbo with issues, what did your weekly training pattern look like?  I would suggest that doing one session of training per day isn't enough, if that's what you were doing.

Regarding the turbo, my turbo is older than God and I've no idea if the resistance thingy works or not.  I just change gear to make it harder or easier, have you tried doing that?  I'm not sure if 650 wheels makes any difference at all but Squish and Wifey would know (and I know they both turboed).  Crashie, if you're still tuned in, any issues with Squish on a turbo on 650 wheels?

• my last top tip is to sort the family out before the training starts.......

tell them that you won't be making pack lunches ever again for them........tell them that they will take turns for the cooking......you will not be doing their ironing etc....( unless they are under 10).......

get the family trained now so that when the busy weeks come they are all self sufficient.....

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

...and send the cat out to catch birds for dinner but not mice, mice are bad for dinnner.  Mice are nice.

• Nope, Mousers, no dramas for Squish  on t'turbo. Our turbos don't do anything clever, no resistance settings or anything. We use the gears or raise the front end of the bike up to make it harder. If you want numbers, a wireless rear wheel bike computer with cadence will provide the data.

My tip for getting stronger on the bike? Ride a fixed wheel, it's a guaranteed way to turn a 60-90 min session into damned hard work image

• M..o.use wrote (see)

...and send the cat out to catch birds for dinner but not mice, mice are bad for dinnner.  Mice are nice.

I sent mine out and got a full freezer

• He did well to get that in through the cat flapimage

• EP........on the thread though it did seem like you missed quite a few sessions due to work/ home issues and didn't get many rides over 80 done ..

if that is so ....you need to look at the reasons and what you can do to stop it happening next time ......

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

+1 with Gnasher

get a turbo with no resistance settings, fit a rear wheel computer, and use the gears - does everything you need then at a lower cost.

I also agree about a fixie or SS, but I would always prefer a MTB for building strength - off road in winter mud is frigging hard work.  it also has a side benefit of improving handling skills and learning how to downhill with speed - two things that are woefully lacking in an awful lot of triathletes....

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Sorry to keep picking up on you EP but am only trying to help and get a fuller picture.

If you did double sessions 2 days a week, and long sessions at weekends, what about the other 3 week days?  Assume one was a rest day, obvs.

• I'm just glad I've retired, it all sounds like way too much hard work. image

Seriously though, I agree with the majority of the comments in here from those that have "been there, done that".

Yep I firmly believe that anyone can do an Ironman but you have to be fully committed to train your body and mind to succeed. You have to pay your dues to get the job done.

Embrace your inner toddler, learn from your mistakes, adjust, get back on your feet and keep moving forward.

• good news EP that you have already seen places where you should have more time next year.this is the time for preperation and sorting out the logistics image

• EP why cant you commute to work a couple of times a week? I am in same boat i live 22 miles from work being Cornwall its monster hilly and pitch black country backroads most of the way i start work at 07:30 my washing facility is a dink and wetwipes in the gentsimage at that time of the morning traffic id virtually nil most of the route a little busier on the return home 

all my work clothes for the week 5 shirts etc gers shlepped in on a rest day

the things you must have are great lights some high viz and a bloody good rain jacket

• Give it a whirl its a great time effective way to get the miles in and fixies are a bit extreme for some personally i love them but FB is spot on regarding mountain biking its a great strenght and handling improver and great funimage

• Pix, please now have a look at your log and see how many of those sessions you actually did. Looking at your Fetch stats, you're either not logging a large proportion of your training (which is a mistake) or you didn't do the sessions that you think you did (which is a big mistake, but one people often make) or your individual sessions were far too short (ditto)

I'm not intending this to come over as 'Pick on Pixie Day'; the following applies to everyone.

Remember, if your life is busy, you may not have the time to train for an IM. Not doing an IM is OK. If you can't make the commitment to train properly for one, don't do it. Trying to blag it while keeping lots of other balls in the air is a recipe for pain and disappointment.

• All this info is great, thanks folks.  I'm copying and pasting into word to keep for later!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I think Crashie has made my subsequent point already.

I'm done now, I feel like I'm giving you a hard time Pix.  I just want you to do better next year.

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

Bookworm is knitting me a hat? Cool!

Err why?! image

7755matt wrote (see)

It's not a knitting club. 

Just worked it out

She has a hat fetish and likes to knit it's a pixie style hat not a hat for a pixie but if you ask her nicely you never know. image

Some top advice so far for the newbie's So not much to add other than to re-inforce now is the time to sort out your swimming if you need it. Crawl is tecnical and so while you have the time learn it. (say's the bloke who can't do it.)

If anyone needs mentor's and stuff get chatting to the old farts and work out who you like. Afraid I feel strongly that I let down the brilliant lad I was mentoring this year with everything on so not sure if would be up for taking someone one.

Would be up for helping anyway I can though and know a lot of you from some of the threads. I think I'm right in saying I'm the only pirate whose done every year of this race so know the area more than I'd like to. image

2010 whole beast
    2011 run relay
    2012 whole beast DNF
    2013 bike and run

Most inportantly keep calm and carry on if you train smart you will race easy. It's going to be fun! image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    Crash Hamster wrote (see)

Pix, please now have a look at your log and see how many of those sessions you actually did. Looking at your Fetch stats, you're either not logging a large proportion of your training (which is a mistake) or you didn't do the sessions that you think you did (which is a big mistake, but one people often make) or your individual sessions were far too short (ditto)

I'm not intending this to come over as 'Pick on Pixie Day'; the following applies to everyone.

Remember, if your life is busy, you may not have the time to train for an IM. Not doing an IM is OK. If you can't make the commitment to train properly for one, don't do it. Trying to blag it while keeping lots of other balls in the air is a recipe for pain and disappointment.

wise words - very wise words

I think - and this is purely a personal opinion - that too many have got sucked into attempting an IM because they are "wannabees".  they see what others have done and "wannabee the same"; they "wannabee a pirate"; etc

I'm sorry but that is completely the wrong approach - they need to look at the reasons why the want to do it.  whether it's because of the challenge of it, whether it's an extension of what they have done before in racing shorter tris, or whether it's because it's a good charity gig, then it doesn't matter - but to do it because they "wannabee" is the wrong approach.

• do / are most people doing the half as well?

figure it would be a good introduction to the course etc a month or to before hand

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    I think - and this is purely a personal opinion - that too many have got sucked into attempting an IM because they are "wannabees".  they see what others have done and "wannabee the same"; they "wannabee a pirate"; etc

I'm sorry but that is completely the wrong approach - they need to look at the reasons why the want to do it.  whether it's because of the challenge of it, whether it's an extension of what they have done before in racing shorter tris, or whether it's because it's a good charity gig, then it doesn't matter - but to do it because they "wannabee" is the wrong approach.

+ 1 Doing a IM is a amazing acheavement but you will still be you at the end of it and doing a race won't make you any more or less of a person as you where before. It's is fun and a good mental and fisicle challange but then again so is needlework if you like that sort of thing.

image Dam you spell checker is this my PC or has the website bust?

• For what it is worth, as a DNF'er at my only attempt, here is my tuppence worth:

- if you're overweight, sort that out before you start IM training or it won't come off
    - don't be lured into the Fink statement of 'hit 80% of the plan and you'll make it round' (or something like that). You won't
    - track your training.  If you don't track, you won't realise how much you've missed
    - have a really good fitness base before you even start - don't rely on the IM plan to get you there, it will be too late
    - love your bike and get out on the hills.
    - definitely get a mentor. Read up on old threads from the site, and read other tri books for info.
    - really ask yourself why you want to do an IM, and sign up for the right reason, not because everyone else is - they can't do the training for you.

I'd love to have another go at IM, but weight loss is my A goal, so-to-speak, and if I still want to do an IM when I get to my goal then I will, but if I don't, I won't.  I signed up for an IM the first time because I really wanted to challenge myself, and I did, but I wasn't good enough. Shifting the poundage is a bigger challenge for me though, so should be tackled first.