Outlaw 2014

Comments

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

So to summarize.

Get a turbo with or without resistance or if you don't like turbos don't get one.

Buy a fixed wheel/Single speed and Mountain bike.

Do loads of long sessions and back these up with loads of short sessions

Get a mentor or don't and follow Fink unless you follow something else.

Seems to me that we all do it differently and the main thing is find something that works for you and stick to it, the problem being finding that winning formula.

Spot on image. That's why I delibertaly said "this is what worked for me". We are all different,  look at what others have done and use that to work out what is best for you and ask ask ask all the time. The pirates are a wonderful source of advice.

• and just to be contentious, I think heart rate training is crap for slow newbies.....

• image  Do you?  I've not been doing HR training and wondered whether I should.  Is that because a slow newbie's 'high' HR will not equate to a sufficient speed to make it worthwhile?  So get fitter/faster then use HR as a guide? 

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

really interesting reading these posts from a newbie point of view. It is great to learn from everyone else's experiencesimage doesn't mean I won't make some of the same mistakes though I bet!

• Base training was developed by coaches working with highly trained athletes. These athletes were used to short distances and working at high heart rates. In order to go long it worked for them to do lots of long slow runs/cycles.

For me, if I kept within the correct heart rates when cycling in my first year I would have averaged about 10mph and would never had built any leg strength. I can happily run at low heart rates but not cycle. Most of my rides still average at 75-80%. To build leg strength you need to work up those hills, there is no way I can do that without getting my heart rate up to 90% and above.

We are all different though.......

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

hmm, interesting about the HR 

• Thanks Purple, worth knowing image

• TJ I hope nobody here would shoot you or any newbie down we all had to start somewhere and dome of us got through and some of us took one or two goes yo get it right, 

What this few pages has been about was summed up by Seren it's "tough love" we all want the newcomers to succeed this is all about making sure people understand that there is always a root cause to a DNF took take a good hard reality check and get cracking on sorting it IMHO this has been some of the best content over these last few days that I have seen for sometime on this forum there is a lot of great info and a world of experience available to help you skin this particular cat in the way you chooseimage

• Perhaps it may be an idea instead of a Funk training thread someone could start a "I DNFed and am determined to sort sort my limitations out"  thread you can all post on what you are sorting and how's it going and I am sure the more experienced will dip in and comment with help full support and guidance .....just a thought

• Good idea .

I've been doing lots of work on my leg strength this last three months and it has made a massive difference to my cycling. It would be great to have a thread where we can all share the positive stuff.

• Purple one your wish is my command see new threadimage

• someone posted these links from Gordo ahead of when I started training for 2010.

I think i've posted them every year since as I found them useful, but a little heavy.  PM me if you need an explanation image  Most is now on EnduranceCorner somewhere, and this is a little old / dated, but its top stuff.

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/  intro links page

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/endurance_essentials/the_four_pillars.html  

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/race_strategy/golden_rules.html

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/endurance_essentials/coaching_ironman_athletes.html  excellent but quite detailed artical for coaches.  You are self coaching,.  Some is too detailed but it has some great ideas.

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/race_strategy/basic_ironman_week.html  other ideas on a basic repeatable week

One of the best quotes I read was something along the lines of 'you are going t spend an awful lot of time and effort training for your IM. Go and become an expert in your training.  Read everything you can on the subject from people you respect / trust, and incorporate the best into your plan / approach.'

oh then go do the training image

• Reading this thread is torture. I am genuinely gutted about not being able to race next year after having what can only be described as a phenominal experience last Sunday popping my Pirate / iron distance cherry. But, a promise to Mrs Stanners is a promise (and means she must keep hers about either Roth or Austria in 2015).

It is interesting reading peoples marmite appreciation of Fink. It is worth noting that it is aimed at those who are time pressured (family / work commitments etc) and it worked well for me.

The only shortcoming in hindsight is there is not any long runs off long bike sessions. I paid for this last week with a marathon which was much slower than I am capable of. It's HR focus is simple to follow and as long as you stick with it, it just works (or did in my case).

The result is I jumped in to the water last week with complete confidence I'd be able to do myself justice on the day.

My Fink totals were

Swimming: 30 sessions / 21 hours / 59km
    Bike: 86 sessions / 125 hours / 3,500km
    Running: 125 sessions / 105 hours / 1,300km

I absolutley agree with the comments about chasing the cut offs. Quite simply you won't enjoy the experience and at worst it becomes a £250 swim session and who the f==k wants to do that!

It is not easy. But if you fully commit, put the effort in and don't cut corners (OK, I did on the swim training...but I hate it), you'll get out what you put in and get the result you want.

• Same for me for my first Stanners I had no contacts not a clue what to do and the Funk plan gave me a structured plan which I followed and therefore had confidence to complete

That said I now have a personal plan of sorts which will need to change for Nice cos I really want to hammer that one so need endurance and speed

• EP - you got of your arse and tried to do something that most people wouldn't even contemplate

Failure is just a state of mind, it doesn't help to dwell on the negative. Most people will think what you did was amazing. So HTFU , work out where you went wrong, draw up a plan and nail it next year....or decide that it is not for you. Either way, be happy we do this stuff for fun.

imageimage

• EP use that feeling as fuel to sort your limitations, one thing to remember you put yourself on the line and had a crack you may have been found wanting but 90% of the population ain't got the balls to even get off the feckin sofa my advice bin the tears get serious with the weight and cycling do not give yourself any slack be hard on yourself and disciplined and come back strongerimage

• Oops I basically just repeated what Purple saidimage

• DNF is not failure Pixie it just means on the day something wasn't right with the prep or the nutrition.  Take the time to look at what didn't go right and make a plan to rectify that next time.  Failure would be quitting and not getting back on the bike. 

• +1 RBM image lol sorry Purple 

• Sorry to disagree but .. not finishing *is* failing, what you need to sort in your head is the reason for that
    I failed first time in Germany, likely didnt respect the distance, didnt put the hours in, didnt reap the reward.
    A few years later I failed again in Germany (spot a theme?) I had trained, I had put the hours in, I picked up some breathing issues and was pulled from the course 10k from the end of the run.
    I have not failed for the other 6.

Its how you deal with it and how you move forward that counts

• Agreed, Melds. I've failed in two DIMs; one I tore a calf muscle and couldn't walk, let alone run (though I did finish the bike by doing some one-legged drills). Probably couldn't legislate for that; sometimes things just let go.

The second one I got hypothermia and pulled out. (yes, in Britain in August!) I wasn't the only one, but that was something I might have seen coming and dealt with better at the time.

Live and learn.

• For me it's more about the process than the end result. Failure for me would be having a bad attitude , being miserable and most importantly, not giving it my all.  Finishing is not always in your control but your attitude is.   I think we all agree DNFing is crap, but you learn and move on.

• Right, paranoia has set in at Postie towers, I have just had to check what training I did for my non existent outlaw this year, I still manage to cycle 1516 miles, run 520 mile but only swam 21 miles, hence one of the reasons I pulled out this year.

can I put my two pence worth in now?...... I agree with with most of what peeps have said but also would like to include, you need to be in the right mental state to do the training and succeed. If you are not determined to get all the training then your probably not determined to RACE ironman. the biggest issue most people have is time management. You have to be selfish to do ironman training, so having your family backing is essential. Nuff said!

• how the f*** am Isupposed to summarise this thread for the psof website  *sigh*

• image Commit and don't be shit?

• How about 

Be honest,  commit fully, oh and get all your  sh!t in one sockimage

• Lee the Pea wrote (see)

image Commit and don't be shit?

That!

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)

How about 

Be honest,  commit fully, oh and get all your  sh!t in one sockimage

I like!

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Can I add you need to remember it's a race too?

I got so hung up on making sure I stayed calm and relaxed so I would finish the swim that I completely forgot to push on once it became clear that I was fine.

The bike I sat up and span far to much under the guise of pacing myself.

I know ironman does require pacing but it is a race and there's no room for day dreaming and bimbling.