Being a sweeper

Apologies if this is a proper daft question.

At most if not all races I have attended you will always find the chap (or chapess) at the back making sure nobody is left behind. I've got into the world of Ultra running and the problem I am having is being able to afford to do an event or the event itself has already been booked up. Now I am not too fussed in competeing because I will never win. However completeing a course is much more doable.

Does anybody else ever volunteer to be sweeper? Whats usually involved? Do you usually get the role because you know the race director or are part of the running club?

Comments

• ToroToro ✭✭✭

Normally local running club organising event provides own sweeper but not sure in bigger events.

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

most RO's would be delighted at any offers of help I'd've thought

sweeping gets interesting if the person at the back decides to drop out, then you need to find the new back marker (who hopefully hasn't gone the wrong way) image

and you'd have to know the suggested route/all route choices extremely well

• Cheers guys. i have contacted the relevant people and they seemed interested so just waiting for them to get back to me. With the event I have in mind its along a coastal path so fingers crossed, keep the sea on the same side of you and you shouldnt get lost image

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

I've been a sweeper on a 30 mile "ultra" - but for that I used the mountain bike to follow the last runners.  that made it easy for me but at times it was hard work cycling so slowly!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Vicar - I have been a sweeper at a couple of events. It really is a good way to get some miles in and help out at a race. Obviously, you won't be setting any records as there is a fair bit of stop/start to remove markings or pick up litter that may have been dropped.

Also, if you catch up a runner who is having a bad day it can be slow progress with them but it gives you both someone to chat to!

As already mentioned, it is a good way to get some easy miles in, help out at a race (every race needs volunteers!) and see a course. Sometimes there is a benefit of getting reduced or free entry the following year. Stick your name down.

• Good news, I've been given the thumbs up. Just going to help out at registration on the days and be a sweeper image Cost to me....just the petrol to get there image I'll have to try and blag a medal too image Does your name go down on the results AS ROCK BOTTOM LAST? lol Won't do my street cred any good image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Good stuff. Not sure on the medal front but often you can get yourself a tshirt image

• I've done it a few times at the Hurstbourne Tarrant 5 mile race.

My normal fee is a bacon roll & I generally gather up the course marking tape / arrows and give them to the next marshal to take back to the finish.

A few people have suggested I wear some sort of fancy dress but I'm not sure the last runner would appreciate being followed round by the Grim Reaper.