I hate dogs!

2»

Comments

• I am a dog owner and so am quite tolerant of dogs, but the other day I was in the middle of a tempo run (a rather rare occurance) and so was not happy to be stopped in my tracks by a barking collie. As soon as I started running again he started barking. 'It's just because you're running' said the owner 'If you just walk he'll be ok' just walk!! Bloody cheek! Most people have absolutely no idea about running and think that it doesn't matter if you stop. I could have kicked her and her dog into the river! Next time I think I will have to have 'run rage' and stop being so polite.
  • I don't like fierce dogs, and Alsations, rottweillers and dobermans in particular. Today I had to turn round and take a different route because there was an enormous Alsation running up and near to the path I was about to take. They scare me to death :-(
  • I hate dogs too, having been mauled as a child
    But my parents got a dobermann after I left home, and ive never met such a wussy dog
    He thought he was a human
  • I was mauled by an alsation dog when I was 11 year old that was said to be "soft as anything and loves kids", dogs have bad days as well, and we dont know when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • i agree though, it is the owners who are at fault most of the time
  • I was on a bike ride on Friday and as the dog put its mouth around my trouser leg the owner told it not to be silly!!!! I too change my route frequently because of dogs and am amazed to be told it's my fault because i'm running or i slow down or they can tell i'm scared hmmmmm if my children chased everyone who ran past and periodically bit them i'd be in a lot of trouble.
  • "It want hurt you" as a German Shepherd dog launched itself at my throat ........ fortunately I have done self defence so did the necessaries and the next thing I hear is I shall be reported to the the RSPCA !!!
  • Last time i was bitten I asked for details of the owners insurance which prompted him to grab the dog and run off.
  • Its like everything else in this country. You have an excellent chance to break the law and get away with it. What is the point in putting up signs that say you will be fined if your dog fouls the footpath.There is never anyone there to see it happen. At our local park, there are signs up that read "Dogs to be kept on a lead". No-one takes a blind bit of notice. These are the same people that allow their dogs off the lead in the country and then watch them chasing flocks of sheep. Sure, there are a huge number of sensible dog owners out there, matched unfortunately by an equal number of our "tattooed" friends who view pitbulls etc as a fashion accessory and not as a resposibility. I feel better for that.
  • As a dog lover, I think there's no such thing as a bad dog - it's just bad owners. I've known all different breeds of dog - including the so-called aggressive types, Alsations, etc and they've been absolute pussy-cats. Some owners are just so irresponsible, letting them off the lead, letting them poo everywhere without picking it up.. disgusting. When I had my greyhound (who was on a lead and muzzled), he was viciously attacked by another dog - off the lead, yob-owner strolling along without a care in the world.. I called the police and the local dog warden. He was cautioned for not being able to control the dog - which wasn't much consolation for my poor dog who was unable to walk for a week! It's just society in general isn't it.. so many people just don't think the law applies to them.. oh don't start me off.. sorry.. I'll stop whinging now!
  • Dogs need a lot of exercise and time spent with them. Most dog owners coop them up and take them for a 20 minute waddle so they can poo twice a day.
  • Freaky - how right you are! My wolf pack gets to run with us in the woods almost every day and they work 2 evenings a week at obedience classes and tracking. We holiday only in countryside lodgings with kennel facilities, and take it in turns to enter races that entail a long journey or hotel stay. When we go to an Ironman, my brother and family come over and dog-sit. Result - happy healthy well-behaved canines.
  • I have two tattoos and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - I am also a slightly overweight 45 year old woman, and Charlie is a real softie. To be serious, I like to think of myself as a very responsible dog owner. Whether Charlie and I are running or walking I always have an awareness of what is going on around me. He has an extending lead but it is never let out where there are other people around or where it would go across driveways. I only let him off in certain areas where there is room for him to run about, usually when we meet up with one of his doggie pals. I always carry poo bags even though one of the most uncomfortable sensations every is a plastic poo bag stuck in the waistband of my running shorts rubbing against my flab! The only problem I have is when we are running and Charlie wants to keep stopping to sniff - but he is a dog and if I don't want the stops I leave him at home and walk him later.
  • I hate dogs when running too although they are mildly better than running through a field and just about getting to the other side when you spot the 'beware of the bull' sign. Funniest story though was meeting a man walking his ferret. He too said "it won't hurt you" as it promply took a bite out of my running partners leg! with that it went flying through the air as rflex took over.
  • I make a point of heaping praise on responsible dog owners and giving a mouthful of abuse to the irresponsible ones. The majority of dog owners use common sense but there are some prats.

What would happen if you were badly bitten. How would you trace the owner if you wanted to take legal action?
  • Also . . . on our long Sunday runs we often see a bloke walking his goat.
  • I was attacked by a Bull Terrier earlier this year whilst running across open moorland. Looking back what worries me most is, if a dog attacks you and you can't defend yourself when will the dog stop? A dog's unlikely to think "I've bitten him once now i'll leave him". In my case the owner eventually managed to catch the dog but not before It had given me two nasty bites. I've thought of carrying pepper spray with me on runs but the police have told me it's illegal. Otherwise a length of rope with a lassoo is a good idea. If a dog attacks you can lasso it and swing it round or hang it until you can get cover.
  • It's awful, isn't it?

I always run with Daisy on a lead but I've had a couple of nasty incidents with other dogs coming up and harassing Daisy. She's on a lead so she's limited to what she can do when a dog's being agressive - once I had to beg the owner several times before he called his dog away from what was becoming a violent dog fight.

Yes, it's the owners.

Actually, to return to the original point I used to be very scared of dogs having been bitten by an Alsatian on my face when I was 6. Since I've had my own dog ( which I got for the family, I had no desire to own one, but she's my running mate now) I've begun to understand dog psychology and now I am quite confident with canines. It's extremely inconvenient if you're on a run, but if a dog is coming at you, if you turn your back on it, fold your arms and look up at the sky it WILL leave you alone. Any flapping of hands, arms a dog interprets as "lets play" (they have a different version of play from us!!), any eye contact they see as a challenge. It does work but you need to be confident. And it's much more effective than running away or staring at it.

But they should all be on leads or under their owners control anyway...
  • No one turns their back on an attacking animal surely???? To trace the owner would be impossible unless they gave you their name and address or you saw them getting into a car.
  • I don't think its easy to turn your back. even if you did i'm not convinced the dog would back off.

I did get the car number and reported it to the police. The police cautioned the owners verbally. according to the police there is no further action you can take unless the dog has attacked on two separate occasions. If it's the dogs first offence, the owner can claim they have no idea the dog is violent and that stands.

Not much good to me with 3 hour queue for a tetanus and a ripped running top!!
  • Surely one can claim against the persons household insurance, when i was adog owner my dogs were insured so that if they caused damage the injured party could at least be reimbursed.
  • I wasn't advised that way but have to admit to not looking into it. It wasn't an expensive top and i was just glad to have the ordeal sorted. It was a very misty day on high fells. I don't think the owners expected to meet others in the bad conditions which may be why they let the dog off the lead. I haven't run that way since though!!
  • I sued a dog's owner after it bit me. See a solicitor.
    There are 'other' ways to disable a dog - you should look into it.
  • any disabling advice would be appreciated.
  • What about those high frequency alarms that are issued to housing estate management staff to deter dogs I've never used them but if local government are shelling out they must be effective.
  • Hi,

I bought a hand held ultrasonic dog chaser (DAZER).
    I found the results with it inconsistent (some dogs seemed to ignore it and still approach me, while others did balk away).

I am lucky enough to be able to have running routes away from doggy areas and found it easier in the end to do that rather then carry the zapper with me.

Anyone interested in trying one out (about £20 I think), here is a link below:

http://www.kiienterprises.com/

HOPE THIS HELPS
  • Heard something about people using pepper sprays - a la anti rape sprays, but I'm not sure about the legality of it all!
  • Sounds a bit extreme as well as not being legal.

I used to get really annoyed about dogs and almost came to blows with owners (as well as kicking a yorkshire terrier into touch), but I started to mellow a bit when I realised that a dog has a natural instinct to chase. Also dog owners who are not runners probably think runners are a nuisance (winding up their dogs on a quiet walk).

Agressive dogs need to be reported, but I think we just have to live with the none-biting chasers and realise that not all dog owners are going to train their dogs not to chase (they don't even train them to returned when called or to walk at heel -so no hope for the chase reflex?). That's life and why get yourself wound up and in trouble by over-reacting to it.

The DAZER (uses harmless ultrasound) may be a good tool to try if you just can't get away from dog walking areas. It did stop a lot of dog chases but its not 100% reliable. I think it depends on the type of dog/hearing sensitivity etc.
  • Maybe dog biscuits would work? You could throw them giving the dog something else to chase. I'm not sure what you'd do at the bottom of the packet though!!
  • The other thing I heard that people do is carry those little things kids throw onto the ground that make a loud explosvie noise (the noise caps in a toy gun make).

Would work on concrete I guess but not grass.