Does everyone carry water while running in this heat?

I have been running for around 2 years and have never carried water on runs. Even on long runs of 20 miles I have so far been OK just making sure I am properly hydrated before the run and then drinking water afterwards. I have also never carried water during races but have taken drinks from water stations for HMs and for the marathon I did.

However on my long run today, I had set out to do 10 miles but seemed to hit a wall around 8 miles. Never experienced this before, not even in the mararhon I did. My head felt quite hot and my whole body willed me to stop, which I did. I'm thinking this may be due to dehydration.

Just wondered how many of you carry water for runs of more than an hour in this weather? I'd rather not have to but think maybe in this heat it's the only option (apart from going out earlier or much later).

Comments

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Don't normally on long runs but today I used a different route and stopped at shops to buy water, I find it less hassle than carrying a bottle and it's usually cold.

• camelbaks are one option.........I have a camelback bottle which sits in a comfortable waist pouch.........i don't even notice it.or just take some money and plan your route around shops.its definitely too hot to go far without water at the moment

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Water in stomach before leaving the house. At least 100ml for each mile run after.

I carry 500ml in a 'bum bag'.

I'm fortunate that I live in an area where bottles of water are disguarded in all sorts of places. Some bottles haven't even been opened.

I take some precautions on the contents and wash the areas of contact before partaking.

Very handy. Many a run has been extended on account of this waste.

🙂

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the replies. For next run will try drinking a bit more before going out and if I can't get out early and this heat continues, will take a small bottle of water with me. I think I am OK for shorter runs but for over an hour in this weather, we all need to be careful.

Carrying some money is a good idea for nipping into shops too.

I don't think I would ever contemplate a marathon in this heat.

Ric F, be careful that it's only water you are drinking in those discarded bottles! Amazing how wasteful people are.

• I take a hydration pack for runs over an hour in this heat. In part this is because running with a pack is useful practice for longer events. When it was really hot I put ice cubes in with the water. Lovely. 

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Ice cubes are a good idea or putting the bottle in the freezer for an hour is good too.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Slowkoala wrote (see)

Thanks for all the replies. For next run will try drinking a bit more before going out and if I can't get out early and this heat continues, will take a small bottle of water with me. I think I am OK for shorter runs but for over an hour in this weather, we all need to be careful.

Carrying some money is a good idea for nipping into shops too.

I don't think I would ever contemplate a marathon in this heat.

Ric F, be careful that it's only water you are drinking in those discarded bottles! Amazing how wasteful people are.

I certainly make sure its ok. Unlikely to be 'white spirit' or 'weed killer'. Usually find the bottles next to the cricket or football pitches.

🙂

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I don't get on with the heat. When out for over an hour I'll take a standard 500 ml bottle of water and think of a route that lets me top it up. Today, for example, I exchanged a quid in the charity box for a refill at an open-air cafe.

I probably don't need the hydration because I drink plenty in advance but it just feels better to drink some en route.

• I carry water for all runs over 10km anyway usually, better to be prepared!  In this weather however I am going to take water on shorter runs too, I read another forum and have got one of those foldable bottles (a platypus bottle) which will fit in my small waist pack instead of taking my big pack with me.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I wonder if it is pace related. I ran a VERY slow 6.5 miles yesterday at about 7:45pm. I had not eaten anything or drunk any water since 3am that morning. I was fine. I put this down to the super slow pace of 12 min miles (I am trying heart rate training again)/.

I'm not saying you should run at 12 min miles - however it might be worth slowing down a bit to see if that helps.

• I never take water on my runs, about 90 mins usually, and have never had a problem. At the moment I`m setting off at 6am and getting back about 7.30am and by then its really warm. I think early starts are the answer.image Although I guzzle it when I get home and sip throughout the day. I eat a bowl of porridge with almond soya milk before I go too, maybe this helps?

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Good point Khani re pace but then going slower would have meant even longer without water time wise so I think I still would have suffered. Rest day today but I think on Tuesday I will leave my run until the evening so I can avoid this heat altogether!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Being fairly stupid I didn't take any water with me yesterday morning for a 22mi run. I was really rather thirsty by the end.

• 15 west.in those conditions.you were lucky to be standing at the end..........your body must adapt wellimage

did a 5 mile race yesterday and i was so grateful for the water midway..normally wouldn't even think of a drink for 5 miles.......image

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

I did 15 miles yesterday and was feeling very dehydrated by the end. I prefer to not carry water while running, so I will start to pre-stash some water bottles out on the route of upcoming longer runs (12miles +)

Have a 21 on Sunday image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - if it's hot next weekend (which it looks like it will be), I might make my run 3 or 4 times round a circuit and have some water stashed....or maybe run past my house a few times and just go in for a drink (maybe a nice cup of tea and a lie down). I also am not a big fan of carrying water. I'm in Manchester so was not as hot on sunday as was in the SE...and looking like going to remain very hot down there for at least another week...

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

15 west and andrews148 - you make me feel like a wuss now for stopping at 8 miles! But I am just outside London and is was over 30 degrees.

Reckon leaving drinks en route is a good idea, especially as it replicates a race in that you can't just swig when you want but have to wait for a specific place.

So glad I did all my marathon training over the winter months. Much easier to dress for the cold than the heat.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Doesn't matter if you carry water or not, as long as you get some down your neck at regular intervals.

100ml per mile is a reasonable measure, assuming one was hydrated to start with.

🙂

• Racing a 50m on sat, think i will take a bit of water with me!!!

• I don't normally bother taking any for runs of under 2 hours as I end having to nip into the bushes all the time but in this heat I wouldn't want to do much over an hour without any.

• RicF wrote (see)

I certainly make sure its ok. Unlikely to be 'white spirit' or 'weed killer'. Usually find the bottles next to the cricket or football pitches.

Ric - hopefully not whilst the games are still in progress. image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    andrews148 wrote (see)

I will start to pre-stash some water bottles out on the route of upcoming longer runs (12miles +)

RicF wrote (see)
    Usually find the bottles next to the cricket or football pitches.

andrews148,  you don't usually 'pre-stash' them near the cricket or football pitches do you?

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

Ha, no! People wouldn't find them where I stash them. I do a bit of Geocaching now and then!