Options

The triathlete's sandwich equivalent

2»

Comments

• Options

Oh, yeah. I'm Matt as guessed by some image

Playing with names until I find one I like

• Options

image Matt think you need to set up a thread to get everyone to give you idea's. What could go wrong? image Talk to me face for details.

• Options

I try to stick to the paleo principle as much as possible, I don't eat rice,pasta or potatoes but I do have a weakness for bread. I only eat whole grain bread though! 

if you can't give up the bread or don't want to, then try  a one slice open sandwich/toastie, and stack it with protein.

• Options
    Stoatally Different wrote (see)

I find bread really addictive. One slice leads to half a loaf, and then why leave that last half there image

I'm going to re-read the paleo for athletes book again, and take notes this time

Matt I'm totaqlly the same with bread........I could easily eat a loaf.doesn't matter if its the cheap sliced bread or the uncut loaf...ply with butter and down it goes one slice after anotherimage

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

at the moment at work I am surrounded by people doing faddy diets and it is driving me mad. I know I have a bit of weight to lose, mainly because I can't resist cake and snack a bit too much. But there are people that are paleo, people that are no carbs, others high fat low carb.... it is madness, and none of them ever stick to it for more than a few weeks, or maybe a month or two max, then they go back to unhealthy eating and put loads of weight on! At least I have stayed more or less the same weight for a year, albeit slightly heavier than I would like to be. 

Hopefully sarah will come along and talk some sense, but I don't think bread is evil. Obviously a whole loaf at once is too much, but there no need to cut it out altogether. 

Brit - I quite often make extra food in the evening, put some of it in a lunch box and have it for lunch the next day. So if I make a chili - I have chili for lunch the next day. There is always a queue for the microwave at work so I never bother heating stuff up! If I am making chicken, I do an extra chicken breast and have some veg or salad with it. I can make the salad while I am in the kitchen sorting the other stuff cooking. 

• Options

Fad diets aren't all bad - but i agree in many cases they are mostly because many people have no will power. I lost a fair bit of weight sticking religiously to the Dukan diet - basically no carbs and no fats. After a while I took the principles of that diet and looked at various other diets and underwent a big lifestyle change. I eat a very high protein diet with minimal carbs and low fat. I try to avoid carbs other than breakfast and occasional sandwiches at lunchtime when I'm feeling lazy. 

I love winding up the girls in the office who want to lose a stone for holiday, or get abs like Jessica Ennis, I tell them it is easy - but takes time and effort, but the principles are easy. They like the sound of it being easy but want it immediately and without any effort. 
  • Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

I think that is part of the problem with fad diets - they are sold to people on the premise that it is easy and they don't really have to do anything, but then they can't stick to the fad diet and fail and end up in a continuous cycle of fad diet - binge - fad diet etc, which I am pretty sure is worse than just being a bit overweight all the time. 

• Options

I'm thinking about money - carb is cheap - potatoes, bread, pasta, rice - all cheap. Veg can be cheap, but interesting veg isn't, and meat protein is only cheap if its fatty - I guess you have to be pretty canny to eat well with less time and limited funds ...

Reckon I need to explore interesting things to do with lentils and other pulses - cheap protein, see what frozen veg other than peas and sweetcorn I can bung in the freezer, and then get more chickens so I can eat more eggs (only got 3 old ladies now who aren't laying very often at all image)

is it too late to plant veg in the garden? image

• Options

The best way to get cheap good meat is to go to the farm shop. I pay £20 for 5kg of chicken breasts at my local farm shop which equates to about 22-24 big chicken breasts. At tescos it is about £6 for 4 - Which shrink a rediculous amount once cooked. I get my eggs from someone I know who has chickens, £2 for a dozen organic eggs, which would cost me £6 at the super market. 

• Options

I have always eaten what was considered a 'healthy diet' - low fat and wholemeal everything. But last April I realised my weight was very gradually moving up (hit the late 30's) despite marathon training so decided to move to 'mostly' paleo. The difference was amazing. I only wanted to lose 6lbs to stay at my ideal weight but did so immediately and have kept it off for a year.

I'm not completely grain/starch free cos I feel endurance training requires some, but maybe only a small amount in one meal a day. Whereas before I was eating oats at breakfast, wholemeal bread at lunch and pasta/rice/potatoes at dinner.

Britrisky - I do agree about the cost. We are a family of 6 on a pretty tight budget. Although I encourage my kids to eat well, I don't force paleo on them, and the truth is I probably couldn't afford it if they did..... my hubby has no interest whatsoever although I do serve him paleo dinners without drawing attention to the fact and he eats them happily image

I'm with the salad for lunch - as many colour veges on the plate as possible. I'm not a fan of salad dressing but find the veg flavours enough.

• Options

Hmmm, I think I need to clear the freezer out a bit and get off to a local farm shop / butchers.

I really like veg, just never seem to eat enough.

I find it very hard as I'm often away 2-3 nights a week so can be at the mercy of whatever is on the hotel menu, unless I go to supermarket for salad and cold meat? I could eat it in the park in this weather, not so nice if it rains image

• Options

Eating out can be a nightmare, the portions are so far off normal it's mad!

I almost always ask for more veg or order a salad starter and get rid of some of the mountain of pasta/potato/rice/bread before I start.

Soggy salad in the rain doesn't sound much fun Stoat! 

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

chili - I don't have salad dressing either, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if I feel anything is necessary.

• Options
    Stoatally Different wrote (see)

Oh, yeah. I'm Matt as guessed by some image

Playing with names until I find one I like

Stop playing with yourself and just decide Petunia image hehehe

For tend to cook up stews or risottos, or meat and veg and freeze portions for lunch so I can heat them up at work.  Do you have a microwave at work Brit?

• Options

Balsamic vinegar on salad is gorgeous.  Much better than mayo.

• Options

No microwave, but I have a food flask - just finished for summer hols, so I have plenty of time to shop around for veg and meat bargains. We have a farmers' market once a month, so can check that out as well.

Love balsamic ... but I'm pretty content with the flavour of the veg by itself as well.

Just have a couple more slices of leaving cake to polish off, then I'm off to find (lose) me new self image