Mentors and Mentee's thread 2014

14567810»

Comments

• I could do with a mentor for 2015.

First attempt at going long (IM Austria), and would welcome any advice, encouragement etc along the way.

• Bobs Your Father wrote (see)

I could do with a mentor for 2015.

First attempt at going long (IM Austria), and would welcome any advice, encouragement etc along the way.

If you give some idea about your goals and back ground, someone who shares the same ideals should put their hand up

• I didn't get a mentor last year, just some sound advice from flyaway. Didn't get my goal time, but got a PB, dropped a lot of the running and learnt a bit more. 2015 is another year and I will be back asking more stupid questions I'm sure.

• I'm an ex rugby player in my late forties, with some long term injuries - lower back, right shoulder, right hip. Weight needs a lot of attention (17 1/2 stone) - which i'm working on at the moment.

Completed Outlaw Half this year of the back of some fairly basic training - sort of followed Fink's 1/2 plan, but wasn't strict enough. Missed a lot of sessions and blamed it on work etc. Finished in 06:42 - stomach cramps on the run slowed me down otherwise I would have been closer to 6 hours.

Have signed up for IM Austria with the aim of simply completing. Never having attempted the distance before, I don't want to try to pin a time on it. Would hope to be under 14 hours, but like I said it's a step into the unknown.

Swimming is OK - steady but endurance is not really a problem. Biking is fair - 03:09 for Outlaw Half. Running is slow (9-10 min miles) but getting over Plantar Fasciitis at the moment.

Have tailored Fink's Ironman training plan to suit my schedule; and start on Dec 1st. Need help with things like nutrition & general ironman type advice.

Not looking to set the world on fire, just want to finish and enjoy my 1st Ironman as much as possible. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Is there a T2 diabetic Pirate out there willing to mentor another? Me?

I have noticed an admirable amount of JFDI (just effing do it) on the forum which my heart wants to embrace but my head thinks differently, mainly due to the unknowns of how my medical situation will affect how I deal with the distance and time.

I got into Tri as a response to my T2 diagnosis and began with sprint and have worked upto Standard (olympic) and a few half marathons. I am really pleased with my times so far for both, being 1:13 Sprint and 2:29 Standard.

I am doing Bala middle distance in 2015 and want to go full IM in 2016, if anyone fancies a project, here I am!

Thanks

• I've been lucky enough to sign up for a 2 year deal. Year 1 went very well so fingers crossed for year two image