60% of runners get injured every year

2»

Comments

• I do have some 'barefoot' shoes, for the winter really, cost me about fifty quid in a sale but even they don't feel the same as real barefoot; especially in this weather, it's great. Nice soft and warm sandy bits, cool wet bits, streams, whatever, it's all good. And due to the way your feet move under you rather than reaching out in front, grip isn't as bad as you'd think, and neither are toe-stubbing incidents.

You've got to ease into it though, it's very easy to get carried away and start your achilles' twanging!

• anyone interested me and 3 mates entered the uk backward run in manchester. taking it as a chance to put some fun in our training but TBH actually use backward running to warm up and down.  Believe it or not, my legs actually feel quicker now. keep it up Ron - hope word spreads

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Yes but what does all this backwards running do to the neck muscles Ron?

You can't run backwards very far without needing to see where you are going. Having to screw your neck round to do that is completely unnatural and seems like an invitation to injury - unless you have eyes in the back of your head. Do you?

Actually you do and you can!  You obviously need to give it a go before you get all negative.  Do you see swimmers doing the backstroke spinning their head around to check their direction...NO...and ditto with backward running - you run backwards like it's natural after a while and there is no need to twist the upper body.  For the first few attempts you are bound to twist to the side but very quickly confidence builds.  Saying that  Iwouldn't try running backwards down Oxford Street just yet . Furthermore your peripheral vision and hearing improves to compensate for the lack of vision.  So YES more benefits for you.  

• Ned - good call. how long you been backward running?

• ned merrill wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

You can't run backwards very far without needing to see where you are going. Having to screw your neck round to do that is completely unnatural and seems like an invitation to injury - unless you have eyes in the back of your head. Do you?

Actually you do and you can!  You obviously need to give it a go before you get all negative.  Do you see swimmers doing the backstroke spinning their head around to check their direction...NO...and ditto with backward running - you run backwards like it's natural after a while and there is no need to twist the upper body.  For the first few attempts you are bound to twist to the side but very quickly confidence builds.  Saying that  Iwouldn't try running backwards down Oxford Street just yet . Furthermore your peripheral vision and hearing improves to compensate for the lack of vision.  So YES more benefits for you.  

So you don't twist round. How do you see the divot? The pothole? The cat running your path? There's only so much your peripheral vision can do.

There's no point in comparing it to people swimming backstroke in a pool - they have lane markers in their line of sight to stop them drifting and know all that's behind them is water.

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

More likely 60% of runners' get injured because they keep running until they get injured. Many runners' try to emulate what the professionals do without having the same back-up crew. We probably need more rest than we give ourselves and a visit to the physio before we get injured to catch aches before they get worse.. 

• To be fair, the very first post does say "laps" which implies a running track which would be rather safer to run round backwards than a street.

But I'm still not quite convinced.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    ned merrill wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

So you don't twist round. How do you see the divot? The pothole? The cat running your path? There's only so much your peripheral vision can do.

There's no point in comparing it to people swimming backstroke in a pool - they have lane markers in their line of sight to stop them drifting and know all that's behind them is water.

Hi Scream  - reverse running should only ever be done somewhere safe. potholes etc.. are never on my route. i only ever run backwards where i know.  and because i do reps i run the same piece of field or beach.  a flat field or beach are perfect or the outside lane of a running track.   i never worry about potholes etc.. because i know there aren't any.  as for cats and dogs - you can never be 100% safe but i always know in advance if there is a dog on the scene.  

i also add the when you run backwards you are always on alert, paying full attention to the surroundings. running forwards can be just as dangerous - i won't be alone when admitting the times i have tripped on the pavement or almost ran into a car when in forward mortion. Where as running backwards is only ever done in car free, pavement free places.  

my advice to those open to the idea is to find a flat field - walk a 50 or 100metre stretch first then just try it slowly. i guarantee over a few sessions you'll be doing it quicker and with confidence.

• as i said before anyone tempted should consider poppping along to the uk backward run in manchester. it's only 3 weeks off now and very excited to meet other like minded people.