Options

Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• Options

Cheers guys. I'd have been devastated if I'd have come in over 2 hours because I'd worked so hard to go under 2.

With about 400m to go I could see the finish line and I was looking at my watch, giving it absolutely bloody EVERYTHING I had left and I was sure I wasn't going to make it.

I stopped my watch as I crossed the line and according to that, it was 1:59:57. Such relief. Then the official time came up 5 seconds faster so I took that image

• Options
    BikoBiko ✭✭✭

So, if anything Matt you ran a bit too fast at the end? Could have eased off a little and still made it sub 2hr.

Congrats.

• Options

Thanks for the welcomes and nice one matty!!

Using the c25k app I managed to improve my run at the weekend, what took 38 min last Sunday took me 32min, using the app really does allow me to pace myself much better. Have to work on the timings though because the walking stages were the down hill parts and the running parts were mostly up hills but a real confidence boost. Cycled to work today and legs didn't have there normal Monday morning slugglishness so looks like the running is helping with the cycling as well o/

• Options

Biko - It was far too close for comfort! And I'd never ease off at the end of a race. Those last 400 yards should always be "Give it all you got" to get the best time possible. I would be more disappointed if i'd have crossed the line and thought "I could have given it more". I gave it my best and there's nothing more I can do. Tactically, I should have been much more diligent on the early miles and maybe I could have hit negative splits and been closer to my 1:57 aim. But its only my second HM so I'll live and learn!

WrensNestRunner - Good work on the time reduction! Sounds to me though the timings are about right! Running up the hills gives a much better workout! Then when you come to run a flat 5k your legs will feel like they are having a nice stroll in the park!

• Options
    BikoBiko ✭✭✭

I was pulling your leg Mattimage And seriously, congrats on your time, you should be very proud of yourself.

I must admit when I completed my first HM I was put off "sprint finishing" as I saw one runner on the home straight laid out and being treated by St John's Ambulance, I then saw a guy pull up with something or other. I was just aiming to complete so trundled over the line. I wasn't near a big time like 2 hours though!

Funny how something as "meaningless" as an hour mark can be so important. When I ran my first ever 10k I came in at 59:56, I would have been gutted to have been four or five seconds slower even though it's pretty much the same time. My wife did a 10k recently and finished in 1:00:30 and was disappointed not to go under an hour. Even though her course was harder than mine (multi terrain and more hilly).

Saying that, my first HM was 2:21 and my next task is to try and dip under the 2hr barrier as I'm not sure I'm ready to train for a full marathon. I found a HM quite tough mentally and don't think I'd fancy over 5hrs on my feet.

• Options
    I half thought you were leg pulling!

I know what you mean about breaking certain things like hour marks. I'd have been devastated to come in at 2+ given the training I'd put in. My first 10k was also 1:00:30! My second was only 56:07 and that was only a couple of months later so your wife can definitely beat that mark. In training I've gone 54:00 dead (another second would have been nice!) and running my third proper 10k in December and want to go as close to 50 as I can. Knocking a few minutes off at a time seems to be working for me at the moment but sure that will plateau soon!

You can definitely go under 2 - if I can anyone can! It's only now after my 2nd that I feel like I can take on 26.2. Like you, after my first I didn't feel ready. Almost like completing the first was a fluke. But I went up to 16 miles in my HM training program on a LSR and it gave me confidence to try the step up. So I'm doing Paris image

Have you got your next HM or 10k booked up Biko?
  • Options
    This mornings run was fun started the run at 6.10 so nice and dark. Some how I ended up with 3 c25k apps running at once so quick pit stop sort that out. Then carried on running the same route as my run on Sunday, really enjoying myself until I crossed over to the Mons hill part of the nature reserve.

The path is a short climb which I ran then levels of for only an descending path in the dark bleak woods so kept my wits about me. So sprinted down that just in case monsters are real then follow the path round to go back up towards the wrens nest. Great fun seeing my head torch light light reflecting of foxes and other creatures eyes (possibly weasels as I have seen a couple in lighter morning runs) and some how managed to to complete the 2.4 miles a little quicker than Sunday even with the mini pit stop.
  • Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hi WrensNestRunner,

Don't fall in the Donkey Poolimage

Keep up the good work

• Options
    I did my first post race run today, 48 hours later. 3 slooooow (12m/m average) miles. And it felt great! Took the missus out as she wants to do more exercise and despite her huffing and puffing, I think she enjoyed it.

5 miles at the same pace tomorrow. Was treading doing 5 yesterday. Today I'm looking forward to it!
  • Options

Hey wrensnest sounds like an interesting run in the dark! I don't think I could make myself get out of bed to run in darkness so total respect image. I'm planning an early morning gym trip to do my speed (lol) training tomorrow so need my sleep tonight. Night all sweet running dreams. 

• Options

djwolf I don't go round that bit yet although I have fished it lol, Cathy Im an early riser so its not to much of problem for me, though that may change once we get into mid winter, still its all good training for the local Suicide 6 race in Nov.

• Options

Morning all.  Well I've been very lazy and not run since last Thursday, my weekend of excess certainly took its toll, 1.5 kilos back onimage.  Really must get my AIG and get out there tonight, I'm behind my Asics plan already and it's only week 2.  Naughty Stevieboy!

• Options

OK then, a gentle 5 miler tonight, don't feel so guilty now!

• Options

Nice chilly run this morning at 10 past 6, the sky was lovely and clear so nice feeling running under the stars. I changed my route today just to mix it up a little rather than run round the nature reserve I ran round the mean streets of Dudley. Slight improvement on my times but this down to running longer than being quicker. Think I will be on C25k week 4 for another week.

• Options

You can;t lose weight EVERY week Stevie! Life isn;t a constant diet so putting on a bit shouldn;t hurt. Good work on the 5 though, I did exactly the same last night!

WrensNestRunner, you have my respect I can't drag my ass out of bed early in the morning! Keep up the good work. With C25K its not about speed, its about being able to run constantly for the times the course rpescribes. So My view is, if you can do the running parts albeit slowly without feeling like you want to cry, then move onto week 5 image Speed can come into play after your body is used to running constantly for half an hour plus image

• Options

Cheers Matty, I might do one more session on week 4 then move on, its just maintaining the jog/run sections on the last two parts one is 3min the other 5min which I can do about 2min of the 3min and about 2min on the 5min part. Im not to fussed about the last 5 because its on an incline so I expect to struggle for a bit. 

• Options

When I started dieting the first week I gained any weight was the week that included my 1st marathon. 32 weeks of loss (two of which were staying the same)

• Options

Great 3 miler this morning, in New York City!!! Got up early and ran from my hotel down to Battery Park and back, The Statue of Liberty at sunrise, not a bad way to start the day!

• Options

Stevie 

That sounds lovely back drop for your run I'm jealous. Huddersfield is just damp and dark and gloomy today. No running for me couldn't get out of bed. I'll try tomorrowimage

• Options
    Stopped at my parents for the weekend so went for a run down the local canal but had a little lyin this morning and went at 8. Cracking run. On week 5 of c25k and pretty much managed the 5min jog sections without any issues.

One thing I do find a distraction is trying to keep my pace slow and fight the urge to run/sprint of ,a bit of struggle but my goal is run longer not faster!
  • Options

Yes. It's easy to go to fast to quickly. Just keep building up your legs. So that you can run for longer with less chance of injury. 

• Options

I neshed out of my outdoor run today as it was horrible persistent drizzle. However did do 5k on the treadmill which is the longest I've done doing my speed interval training. Did it in 34.17 which feels like an achievement given how slow I've been. If I can do sub 70mins at the 10k in 5 weeks I'll be chuffed. 

• Options

Great work Cathy!!!  Good 6 miles in New York this morning, over Brookyn Bridge and then down Broadway, round Battery and back to hotel!.

• Options

Looks like my early runs have to come to halt. My wife has informed me that I come home to tired to play and look after the kids so she's told me to join the gym rather go for early morning runs image. Came to a compromise, my mid week runs will be done at the gym before work but I will still have my weekend run outside in mornings.  

• Options

Stevie - my mate is currently in NYC too! Strange coincidence image Sounds like an ace place to run, definitely on my list of places to go!

WrensNestRunner - I kinda know your dilemma. My missus feels a bit neglected that i come home from work and go straight out again 3 times a week. I try and tell her that its not like I'm off down the pub!

Cathy - I avoided the drizzle yesterday - just looked too horrible!

So i deferred my weekend run til today. Went for a lunchtime run and really enjoyed the "Comfortable" 5 miler my plan dictated.

• Options

wrensnest - I don't really follow the logic of gym being better than running outside early mornings but maybe I'm just a bit thick.... No comments thank youimage  

Matty I dream of a comfortable 5miler!!! It was horrible all day here today too. I do feel like I've missed out if I don't run outside at least once a week. I'm a bit rubbish at setting off in the rain even though I know I don't really mind it when I'm actually out running. I need to get a bit tougher I suppose. 

Maybe if I was in New York (hmmm sigh) image

• Options

Its not better, its very sterile compared to running through woods and fossilized sea bed as I found out this morning, the only difference is rather than getting up at 5.30 I can get up at 6.15 or later and still get a running session in. WIfe does have a point.When I get in from work after doing a run in the morning,  I am  worn out and its not fair on my little ones who I only really get time with in the evenings during the week. 

• Options

Ahh now I get it! Family life is important - best do as you're told.  You're right though I find it hard to run more than 30 mins at the gym but outdoors it's just easy. Unless you're pathetic like me and a bit of rain puts you off! I ran in the gym this morning too. 

• Options

Run in the evenings after the younglings are in bed image

• Options

Back from a wonderful weekend in New York, and three wonderful runs, just the boost I needed!
    It reminded me of how lucky we are that our chosen sport allows us such wonderful opportunities to do it in fantastic locations!