Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

1202122232426»

Comments

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    1:10:16. Sorry I didn't quite match your 1:10 prediction Matty, but you weren't far off ! What a great feeling - 10 weeks ago I couldn't run 100 metres, today I ran (no walking involved) 10 km - a proper race - and I didn't come last. Loved it !
  • Sorry Kieran, didn't see your Saturday post, but very well done! I had a real tingling of excitement pinning my first race number on - and I still do!

That is a brilliant time and definitely close enough to my prediction! Plus you now have that benchmark target to beat!

I'm really pleased for you!

Half marathon next thenimage
  • So how was everyone else's weekend's running?

I had a bit of a struggle with some intervals on Friday - 4th rep I had to stop a couple of times, so need to remember to be a bit slower and more consistent.

easy 5 miler on Saturday morning, running to parkrun to be timekeeper. Then 11 mile long slow run sunday. Legs feel a bit sore today so only a recovery run for me tonight.

In case anyone is interested, I've started a blog. So far I've got all about my history (In the About Me) and my whole experience of the Paris Marathon. Hopefully some poeple like it. I'm going to use it to keep track of all my training and also write race reports and stuff.

http://formerfattyrunner.wordpress.com

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Enjoyed your blog Matty, your Paris marathon story is really great reading.

In a moment of madness today, feeling good after my 10k yesterday, I signed up for a half marathon in March 2015......

• Excellent news! Well done! You will have a blast image Which did you go for?

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Colchester Half Marathon - 29th March 2015.

Starting to regret that decision - my legs are killing me today - the "2-day effect" from my 10k - muscles I didn't know I had are aching !

Still resting today, I need to get out tomorrow for a loosener and get back on it before I go on holiday in a couple of weeks. I've plotted out a little 5k route round the harbour (in Majorca) on holiday and I'll do few early morning runs while I'm away, then it's back to a sub 1-hour 10k programme from mid-August, with the aim of completing a sub 1-hour 10k at the end of November. I've booked in on a local 5-miler in October as an interim target event.

Does that all sound realistic ?!

• Definitely realistic! Just keep getting the miles in and you'll find the time comes down pretty quickly. If your plan doesn;t include a long slow run at the weekend, think about including one prior to the 10k. So maybe to 6 slow miles one week, then 7 the following week, then 8, then 9 and if you really feel like it, 10. Emphasis on the slow! It really builds your endurance and you'll find its good prep not only for the half but does wonders for your 10k time image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Here it is - my perfect plan:

Run a bit between now and boarding a plane at Gatwick on 28th July.

Spend 2 weeks on the beach in Majorca image, with a few early morning 5k's around the harbour thrown in for good measure.

Start a sub-1 hr 10k programme in mid August (when back from hols). 

10k (Dedham, Essex) mid-September

5-Mile (Saxmundham, Suffolk - my home town) mid-October

10k (Southwold, Suffolk Coast) mid-November. sub1-hr target if the programme has worked ! 

Early December - start sub 2-hour half marathon plan

Avoid the Roses/Quality Street tins over Christmas.......

January - get generally cold, wet and miserable, but maintain focus on the half marathon target.

Mid-February - trying to find a 10-mile event. Will possibly do the 10k at Bungay Black Dog if I can't find a 10-mile.

29th March - the big day, Colchester Half Marathon in under 2 hours.

I have to have a plan, or I won;t do anything, so the above looks good on paper......

Any thoughts?

• The only thing I would suggest switching up, would be running a 10k for sure instead of a 10 mile race. "Racing" over the longer distance may fatigue your legs more than you think, meaning you might not reach peak for your Half. But it depends on your goals for the half image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Thanks Matty, I don't think I'll get much choice anyway - races in February are rare, and I can't seem to find a 10-mile, but I know for definite the Bungay 10k happens.

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Did my little loosener today after the 10k on Sunday. 30 mins easy, 4 and a bit km. It was very warm and sticky, but felt OK.

Bit sad, but a big thing for me - I did it in my 10k "finishers" t-shirt (which was the reward for Sunday's 10k. I'm not htat bothered what people think when they see me out running, but I felt like a proper runner image. Instead of people thinking "look at that fat bloke go", I thought in my head they were saying - "look at him, he's a 10k runner - good for him" !!!

• Proudly wearing your finishers T shirt is the best part! I love a free t shirt and will always pick a race with a T shirt over one without one. They make brilliant training tops and you never need to actually buy a specific running t shirt again if you do plenty of races!

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Run a race, get a t-shirt, use it to train for another race image. Only problem is the t-shirts seem to come with the longer races - 10k+, so it's a lot of effort just for a t-shirt image.

5k today with some colleagues at work - a real range of ability so we just go at our own pace. Hard work in the really warm weather, but a reasonable 7min/km. Feeling fully recovered form the 10k on Sunday, so a long slow run is on the cards this weekend - just maintaining it until the sub 1-hr training plan starts in earnest when I'm back from holiday. 

1lb off my going on holiday weight target, 8lb to target A (the officially not "obese" target).

• One day Kieran you'll consider 10 as being "only" a 10k! My missus recently ran her first and is now training for a half, and she already says it!! Well done on the weight!

I weighed myself today and I've lost about a quarter of a pound. Very disappointing result, though I think I'm going to reweigh tomorrow just to double check the result. I'm starting to think I need to change something up. I'm eating carefully and exercising a lot, the numbers should be coming down. I don't understand and I am frustrated image

• Hi Matty - I have similar weight loss issues, my ideal target was 12st (having been just over 18st last Sept), but I'm sat at a constant 12st 12lbs - I know we've posted about this recently - and like you, I exercise loads and constantly watch my food intake.  I see my last 10 months hard work as an investment that needs to be protected, so no back sliding and hitting the choc muffins if that makes sense!  Although I'm fairly happy with my weight, I'd love to be running at 12st - my problem is the remnants of a beer belly that just won't shift (or doesn't seem to want to shift as quickly as I would like it to...).  Have you tried 'shocking' your body with different workout regimes - not as dramatic as it sounds, just try exercising different muscle groups - i.e, in the gym try swapping a session on the rowing machine for a spin class, also throw in 45mins of resistance training etc... Just a thought.

PS - really liked your Paris blog - I'm training for the Cardiff half this October, but feel inspired to look for a full marathon for next spring

• Thanks Ric image

I haven't really tried changing much up, but I did find an interesting article about breaking such plateaus. Like you said, changing up the workouts might help. I literally run and run only. I don;t go to the gym. Maybe I need to go to a class or focus on some ab work.

It also said about trying to trick your metabolism. I'm impatient so i regular go way under my recommended net calories (Like, 1000 sometimes) and I really know I shouldn't. So I think I am going to eat to that limit now.

The article also said that a plateau typically only lasts about 3 weeks, so I'm hopeful next week will be better!

Thanks for the feedback on the blog too image As a runner, I think having that experience of crossing the finish line even if only the once is a high that you just can't beat.

• Hey all, hope you all had a good weekend running! I ran the Frome 10k on Sunday. A good race but no PB. Have written a full report though image https://formerfattyrunner.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/race-report-frome-10k/

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Good time in this heat Matty, pb or not !

I managed an hour yesterday morning. Even at 8.30 in the morning it was very warm - so it was a very slow 8k ish.

Not a good weekend food-wise. Ate too much at a local music festival, bbq and father-in-law's birthday dinner this weekend and put a pound on. Went for a cycle at lunchtime today to try to lose it again -13k ish, some off-road. Cycling is a good workout, but low impact on the joints - I'm going to do it more often on non-run days I think.
  • Hey, every now and then its good to have a weekend of excess - otherwise whats the point in working hard running and dieting the rest of the time?

Meanwhile, I've moved my weigh day to thursday. After the apparent plateau I seemed to have smashed through it as I have achieved my first goal!

Weighed in today at the very pleasing 14st 7lbs. My BMI is 24.8!

All very pleasing, though not quite what I expected to feel. Probably because its not quite job done.

After some analysis I am setting my stall out for my next (And hopefully final) weight loss goal. 13st 7lbs should give me a BF% of 15.5%, in the "Fitness" range.

The clock is reset. 14lbs to go image

I've blogged about it with more detail here for those interested image

https://formerfattyrunner.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/weigh-in-plateau-smashed-goal-achieved/

• Come on peeps, no-one been running/dieting? Or is the thread dead? image

• Firstly congrats on everyone's weightloss & runs!

secondly nope no running or dieting, just back from nearly 3 wks in France with our caravan! I ran the second day we got there 5k in the rain, it was bliss lovely countryside & lovely cool rain..........never ran again was waaaay too hot & I couldn't get up at dawn to run when it was cool enough! Ate loads of gorgeous French bread, cheese & pastries all washed down with wine, paying the price now as my belly is humongous & after weighing today I put on 8lbs yikes!!! Ah well if you can't let loose on your hols what's the point eh? 

As from Monday I'll be back on the diet(be quietly relieved actually after the rich food) & back running again, going to take the first week easy then start my HM plan image

• I've started dieting again - ok, the mileage I'm doing keeps the weight off, but I'm not losing any at all. Does anyone else put on half a stone after a long run?

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Let's keep this thread alive.

Back from hols. 2-weeks in Majorca. Too many paellas, not enough running (i did 2x5k runs, but it was way too hot), but only put 5 lbs on. Then picked up a bug which my middle daughter brought back with her. It went round the whole family. Spent 2 days being sick and lost the 5lbs again - result, but not a recommended way of losing weight image Still don't feel up to running very far, but have set up a MiCoach training programme for a sub-1hr 10k in November, starting tomorrow.......

• Great thread people and well done to all those that have made postive life changes.

Thought I'd add in my story so far

Always been 'keen' when it comes to sport but mainly just plodded along so to speak whether it be gym, cycling or football. Never really been one for running, my favourite line was. "i'm not built for running" 17.5st was an easy excuse. March came about and i thought i'd really make a go of getting into it, first few runs were hard going but before I knew it was up at local 5k park runs. (highly recommended to those who haven't tried it). After my second park run something changed, yes its hard work but I actually found myself enjoying them and the achievment i was felt from completing the runs was something I'd not experienced before. My first run was 28:33 my PB is now 25:24, which shows to myself just how far i've come in s relatively short time. I entered my first 10k 6 weeks ago took the kids along for the fun run and was a great day and managed to come in under 1hr which i was over the moon with.

I've now entered myself in Wolf Run 10k in few weeks, Worcester Run Bike Run after that and then Bham half marathon in October.

I was on holiday last week and found myself running 5 days out of 7, that would never have happened 6 months ago. i would say the bug has well and truly got me.

Must confess my diet could be better, lost 1st since i started and would love to lose more but hoping that will come into line as i increase training for forthcoming events.

Will try and up date with further progress as I continue on - Thursday sees my first attempt at brick sessions - my mates a keen triathelete and I think he wants to break me!!

Keep up the good work all image

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

What on earth are "brick sessions"? - sound painful !

• bike and running interval training - so i'm lead to believe.

unless its I've miss understood and i'll have to run as fast as i can to avoid being hit by bricks!!