Fat to Fit - Time for change? Me, too!

Comments

• No problem. Good luck - post your progress here as you go along, if you like. I post mine just so I can see how I'm progressing.

• I've been to a zumba class this morning which I'm calling cross training! It's something completely different and appears to use different muscles as i'm definitely aching in unusual places. Will run again tomorrow. 

• Nice one. Bet that uses a lot of calories, too. I'm also running again tomorrow - had a day off today - just a 5k run, nothing too quick or strenuous. Having a go at speedwork (as per my training plan) on Tuesday. Gulp!

• Hello every one. I didn't realise how many people have the same issues as I have. I am feeling very motivated now. I started running when I was 45 and during that time I have done some big races, but since retiring last year I have become lazy and fat. I intend to keep linked up here for some real inspiration good luck all.

• Hey uni

Yes I think it really helps to know you're not alone having 'lapsed'!  I used to run races and loved it then moved house and life happened for a couple of years and somehow I just stopped running.  Then I drove past a woman running along one of my favourite roads and I suddenly felt very jealous and thought why am I not doing that? So here I am trying to rebuild some fitnesss and get back the joy of running. It's tough at the moment but having people to encourage and share the little achievements really does make a difference.  So go for it and tell us how you're doing! 

• Hi Uni, 

Welcome to Slowly Losing Fat Club! 

Had a great run this mornng. Went out with every intention of following my training plan's 5k easy run, but I was feeling competitive so I went for it and ran the full 5k in under 30 mins (29.45, to be precise). Feeling very chuffed so might have an enormous pizza to celebrate.....just kidding. 

Didn't lose any weight this week, but I have had a few drinks so I'll have to get on top of that and cut those out. Did stick to my calorie limit, though, so perhaps it's the extra muscle from running (he says, clutching at straws). I do need some new clothes. My jeans are hanging off me, so I'm clearly losing weight. 

Have a fantastic bank holiday Monday, everyone.

• Well done Jae that's impressive running! I haven't got out yet so you're making me feel guilty. I wouldn't buy new clothes until you get near your target weight but maybe you haven't got that much to lose if you're running whippet-like? 

It's how you feel not the numbers that count on those scales and you should be feeling pretty good. Well done.

• Thanks Cathy,

I've a couple of stone to lose, but I feel so much better compared with a couple of months ago - I'm a work in progress. I won't pretend it wasn't hard running this morning, but I like setting myself little challenges. Next weekend I'll be running 8 miles, my furthest ever. 

You're right about it not being about the scales, but they do draw me in. Nonetheless, I do feel good, so thanks. 

Hope you get some time to get out there today. Let me know how you get on if you do....

• Hi 

Well I've been out only my second outdoor run since I've started again. I found my old running belt to put water and keys in and was distressed by how much I had to let it out before it went round me!!! However that motivated . I did 2.7 miles (clocked in the car) but at least half of it was uphill and I mean uphill! I haven't found my stopwatch so not sure about time but others could probably have passed me on a fast walk. image  still I'm thrilled and loved being outside again. It's much better than on the treadmill. I'm having a rest day tomorrow. Probably won't be able to walk. Thanks Jane for motivating to go this morning image 

• Sorry my tablet turned your name into Jane!  Oops

• Pace doesn't matter at all. It's just spending time on your feet (or so I've been told), running slowly burns fat, etc. I'd imagine it burns even more going uphill. 2.7k with half uphill is fantastic. Over the weeks and months if you follow that same route you might start to find it easier and then you'll know you're on to something. 

I used to prefer the treadmill for some daft reason, but being outside is so much better once you catch the bug. It's a more strenuous workout too, at least for me. . have to say, it was great passing a few runners this morning. They were probably on their long, slow runs but it still felt good to zip past them. Usually I'm the very slow one.

Don't worry about the name mix up. I've been called worse.

• Hi All. Good to hear you are all doing well. I went out this morning did about a mile and a half and felt great. Next run day is Wednesday and I am actually looking forward to it. I haven't had that feeling in a very long time. Thyouyou

• I meant to say thank you. Finger got a stutter

• Great stuff, Uni. Let us know how you get on.

• Hey Uni

That's brilliant well done. Looking forward to it is good you must be finding it OK. Keep it up we're all feeling pretty positive just now must be the power of collective determinationimage 

Jae I'm just starting to wonder if you're really out of shape at all if you're zipping past folk! You'll be too good for this thread soonimage 

BTW I was reading an article on this site that was saying to burn fat you should eat more fat and protein and cut down on the carbs. Sounds illogical but I'm going to try it. I'll let you know if it works. image

• I'm not as out of shape as I was, but those I did pass were jogging and I was trying to beat 30 mins for a 5k, hence zipping past them. Doesn't mean I wasn't huffing and puffing as I ran image

• You are an inspiration, huffing and puffing I can do you should have heard me on those hills today! I think maybe I'm not setting myself high enough goals. I couldn't contemplate going from 5k to 8 miles like you are so quickly.  I guess we're all built differently.  Maybe I could be a bit more ambitious though. I'm just looking at some training plans. 

• I just went from 3 miles to 5, more by accident than planning. I didn't want to push myself too hard and get injured but I felt good on the day so went that bit further. I read the best way to do it is add 10% more each week to your mileage when you do your longest run. Obviously I've done a little more than that, but from now on it'll just be an extra mile a week. 

Next time you run try to add a little more to those 2.7 miles. If you can get to 3.1 that's 5k. Once I got to that it's a massive milestone and a huge motivator. You're then a 5k runner. Brilliant! The next milestone is 5 miles, then 10k. This is what keeps me going. Hope that helps. Don't push yourself too hard, but keep chipping away. You're almost at 5k already!

• Yes my plan is to move to 5k that feels like a milestone that means something.  I'm feeling really positive and looking forward to running - I'm forcing myself to not run tomorrow as I know resting is important too to build muscle etc.  It feels exciting to get strength back don't you think?  I know that initial improvements always come more easily, we'll all need to offer each other support when we hit that plateau that's inevitably coming at some point soon. 

I'm considering a 10K at the end of November that's local to me.  I htink that might give my training a focus.    

• Sounds very sensible. It's definitely exciting to feel improvements in your fitness. Makes you feel so much healthier and is great for self esteem (at least for me, anyway).

I think the plateau with my weight has already arrived! 

I'm also doing a 10k at the end of November so we could compare how we do as we train.

• On the treadmill at work today. Think I had my times wrong as I was doing 800 metre sprints at 5.13 (way too fast for me), I could barely do 500 metres at 7.30. Still managed two sprints, plus warm up and warm down for a total of 2.75 miles. Cream crackered now, though, and back to the drawing board to figure out where I went wrong. Probably something simple that I misread. 

Day off tomorrow - then 5k with a workmate on Thursday, followed by 8 miler Saturday. 

• All sounds very technical to me!! I don't think I have followed your maths but I'm sure you'll work it out.   5k with a friend sounds very sociable - I don't have anyone to run with - no one runs that slow.....

What is the race you're going for in November? - I'm heading for the Leeds AbbeyDash.  I've done it before and did my best time ever for a 10k which was jsut under an hour - like I said I'm very slow!!  

• I think I made it sound more technical than it is. It's just something I followed from a training plan I got on this website. 

It sounds nice but I've a sinking feeling that the person I'm running with is a bit faster than me. Hope I'm not huffing and puffing behind them.

It's just south of London - a local race in a park that's run every year. You're not slow - my time is much the same, just under 58 minutes (not sure I'll be that good this year). 

• For sure I won't get near that time but it helps to have something to aim for I think.  I'd like to run sociably but it's always been a solitary activity for me. And I do remember when I was fitter and not using all my concentration on breathing that I enjoyed the zoning out with your own thoughts. It's got to be good for your mental health I reckon. It's also nice to share on here though - you're all with me on my runs! 

• I doubt I'll get near it either! I think, on reflection, that I prefer to run alone. Some music or an audiobook allows me to zone out a little - when I'm not stuggling up a hill - and the further I go each time, the further I want to go on my next long run. I quite like to challenge myself (which is a very new notion, I assure you) and then come back and post the results here, which is a nice motivator when someone offers congratulations or encouragement. It's also a good way of keeping a record of progress.

• Hi

I did 3k of 'speedwork' at the gym tonight.  Don't laughimage I started doing 3 mins jogging and 1min 'speed'  (my speed rate was 8.5 kph which for normal runners is a slow jog but you know baby steps!!) then took it up to 2 mins jogging to 1 min speed.  Felt pretty good and I think it'll help me get used to running faster for longer if I do it often enough so that my base jogging and speed  rate can both increase.  That's my theory anyway.  I felt absolutely knackered and hungry on the way home from work and could easily have given it a miss but then thought I'd told everyone I was running tonight and so had to do it. 

Enjoyed it actually in the end and really running when you are tired with brain work is good for releasing those day's troubles away I guess.  Feeling good now although I have succumbed to a glass of red wine when I'm not supposed to be drinking mid week!!!!  That fat isn't going away too soon........

• Great work, Cathy. You're really getting into it. Also, when you don't feel like it but force yourself you're always glad you did. 

I have wine 'issues' as well. I try to keep within my calorie limit so I don't feel as bad drinking it. 

I'm off for a 5k with a colleague at lunchtime. It won't be a fast one (hopefully!).

• So, I ran with a colleague today and it was a pretty good experience. Did 5k in 30 mins 20 seconds, so not a brilliant time (though probably would have broken my current record were it not for having to stop to open two gates, plus an arduous 200 metre uphill climb), but I felt really strong at the end and could have sprinted to the finish which was a fantastic feeling.

It was also nice to have someone to keep a pace with, so we're going to run once a week and try to beat our time with each run. 

Have an 8 miler to tackle on Saturday morning. Gulp! This is my sixth week of running since I returned to it after several months away. I feel great and stronger each week (cue: terrible run on Saturday). 

• For sure I won't get near that time but it helps to have something to aim for I think.  I'd like to run sociably but it's always been a solitary activity for me. And I do remember when I was fitter and not using all my concentration on breathing that I enjoyed the zoning out with your own thoughts. It's got to be good for your mental health I reckon. It's also nice to share on here though - you're all with me on my runs! 

• Don't know why that previous post has reposted I must've pressed something!  Well done Jae I think your time is pretty good esp if you had to keep stopping.  8 miles sounds scary to me but I think you'll be OK let us know how you go on.