ironman uk non wetsuit

heard a rumour today that ironman uk will be a non-wetsuit event

anybody else heard anything like this

Comments

• you don't expect that in the Uk.especially when you think how cold the water everywhere was in May

• I think it is just that - a rumour!

As far as I'm aware - and no doubt FB will be along in a moment to correct me if I'm wrong image - but the decision will be made an hour before the race start, and will be based on strict criteria.

• someone said it was at 23 degrees friday.........if it gets to 24 then it would have to be non wetsuit.but I thought i read you could wear buoyancy shorts.whatever they are.but if i was racing at bolton i think I would be getting myself a pair

• an hour before the start

thats not a lot of time to prepare 

and i needall the help i can get !!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

The decision will be made according to the rules for triathlon OW swimming.  Lots of places have heated up above 24 degrees so it is possible but I think it is too early to be able to predict it.  If we get a lot of rain and cooler air temperatures then the water temperature may drop before the start.

But as good triathletes you will have trained both with and without your wetsuit for just this sort of occasion so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Seren - its governed by WTC rules:

Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F.

Buoyancy shorts are a buoyancy aid, therefore banned under WTC rules

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

But as good triathletes you will have trained both with and without your wetsuit for just this sort of occasion so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good triathletes - on here??? You been drinking again Caz image

• crookybwfc wrote (see)

i got an email from openwaterswimming selling the shorts you said

http://www.mytriathlon.co.uk/products/Zone-3-2013-Buoyancy-Shorts.html

I witnessed FB having words with the folks on the Zone3 stall at the Vachery Tri this afternoon after the organisers there suggested anyone worried about a non-wetsuit swim should get some - as Rafiki says, they're considered a buoyancy aid and aren't allowed in non-wetsuit swims.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Good point Raf image

But seriously don't people train for things going wrong?  I've trained without swimming costume, hat, ear plugs, without nutrition and with leaky goggles just in case things go wrong for me during my event.  Don't you practice changing inner tubes on the bike, for example?

• Far too early to call a water temp at this stage and there is nothing you can do to influence it ... worry about something you can change

• I never ever train for non wetsuit situations as they do not really happen in this country..........I am sure i read somewhere that bolton had said that buoyancy shorts would be allowed if wetsuits are banned.........

• Even a crap swimmer like me doesn't need neoprene shorts if it gets to be non wetsuit.

You've still time to train without a wetsuit. You'll just be a bit slower.
  • love it cougie.you still have a week to trainimage

glad i enetered Wales.no way will the sea be a non wetsuit swim image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Don't any of you train in the pool?  Or do you wear your wetsuit in the pool too?

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Seren - its governed by WTC rules:

Wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and including 24.5 degrees Celsius/76.1 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures exceeding 24.5 degrees C /76.1 degrees F will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits will be prohibited in water temperatures greater than 28.8 degrees C/84 degrees F.

Buoyancy shorts are a buoyancy aid, therefore banned under WTC rules

do you think you are going to get a AG placing?  - thats all 

• I only train with a pullbuoy as this replicates the race conditions of a wetsuit..........never do more than 50m without a pullbuoy or a wetsuit........image

stephen kavanagh 4 wrote (see)
    MC 3 - A mate of mine contacted IMUK yesterday over the water temp and they said if it is over 24.5 C it will be non wetsuite. If it is non wetsuite they will allow buoyancy shorts, which I am told do help. Unless this heatwave continues over the next 2 weeks, which it isn't forecast to do, then I am sure it won't reach 24.5 C.

SR - Sat - Swim 4 km followed by a couple of loops of IMUK and a short 30 min run off the bike.

Sun - 1 hr bike and 2 hr run. I was thinking of doing a longer run but I am not sure that it will be of any value at this stage.

Tyler - They are not cool, but a good old fashioned pump every time for me mate.

I know i had read it somewhere about the buoyancy shorts............but this isn't firsthand

• i swam in 23° recently and it seemed pretty hot in a wettie - too hot for anything longer than a mile really 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Seren, you have already said that you are doing an event that is guaranteed to be wetsuit compulsory so there would be no need for you to train without a wetsuit. Likewise my event will absolutely never allow a wetsuit so there is no point in me training with one.

I'm just interested to understand the logic behind those who are concerned that wetsuits might be banned

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I was too hot swimming 5k at Outlaw t'other week and it was lower than 23. 

Caz - am loving your training without a costume comment. So, like, naked then?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I did ripon tri last week - just standard distance, bit wet suits banned. Swim was lovely, but 4 minutes slower than last year!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Yes, I have done some of my training naked, and some with my costume only on my lower half.  Scared a group of lads a couple of weeks ago when I forgot that I had my costume at half mast when getting out of the water

If I get bad chafing around my neck then I may decide to take my costume off.  Or my costume may rip

But I don't recommend it in water below about 10 degrees when doing breaststoke.  There are some parts of the female body that get very painful in extreme cold conditions

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Wow!! You really have thought of everything. Hats off to you. 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I hope so, but there is bound to be something I've over looked, and that will be just the thing that goes wrong

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Actually if my costume does rip I will suspect Plum of sabotageimage

non wetsuit swims are so rqare in this country that normally only the shallowist of lakes would be vunerable to it..........I can see whya thiose doing IMUK would not have even have thought it was a possibility in this country in july

its a major reason why i would avoid most european ironman races.....I have no doubt that i would still find some way of swimming it but i would be close to the cutoffs and would have to stay in shallow waters so that i could stop for breathersimage

which isn't an option for you in the channel cazimage

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

All the ow tri's I've done have been in the UK and wetsuit optional.  Admittedly I've not done many but one was in the sea.  I wouldn't think it that unusual for tris during late August or September but agree that I wouldn't expect it for July or early August.

I really hope that I don't touch the bottom Seren!  If I do something has really gone wrong

• TBH as long as the temps OK I much prefer OW without a wetsuit if you can swim the distance in a wettie you can do it without its a mental thing, in fact if the temps up a wetsuit could be a real problem over a long effort with a bit of boil in the bag going on

• Anyone give a ballpark, back of the envelope syleee on how much time a wetsuit saves? I did a 13.30 750m wetsuit swim last month so aiming for sub 30 tomorrow and can't decide about my wetsuit! Swam in training without a wetsuit on Thurs and did a 31.30 wetsuit but breathing slower than racing. 

Notably I do not get my wetsuit off quickly. I blame my huge calf muscles. *cough*

Anyway I reckon it takes 1 minute to get the wetsuit off- so I'd need to swim 1500m more than 1min faster with my wetsuit. I really didn't believe it made that much difference - until my friend (who is a crap swimmer) said it took 6 mins off his time!!

More importantly for you guys:

I do remember a race being non-westuit at Eton Dorney. Once. A couple of years ago following a spell of weather like this. However it's obviously artificial - so probably shallower?! And down south image