running with a dog!!

13»

Comments

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Just looked at the date on this thread! What happened to you?!
  • Don't get a greyhound! Ours does the first half mile at full pelt then digs her heels in  much to amusement of passers by  cos everyone thinks a greyhound just runs and runs - big myth!
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

The search facility on this website is as good as a chocolate teapot so apologises if this wasn't the best thread to blow the dust off.

It's very early days but me & my boyfriend are considering getting a dog if our house purchase goes through. An important part of owning a dog would to be able to take it on runs with me, for a companion for me and exercise for the dog.

I absolutely love Beagles. Does anyone know whether they make good running buddies? I know they like to follow their noses which could be a problem if they find a scent in the middle of a run! 

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

I've never owned one but I wouldn't have thought they'd be ideal for the reason you mention - they quite often seem to be on the lead when I see them - you want a breed that is built for endurance and inclined to focus on its owner rather than everything else around it.       

• I’m a recreational ultramarathoner and triathlete and I recently launched a blog devoted to pet fitness news and information (www.varsityreportblog.com). We deal regularly with issues relating to running with dogs.  Earlier today we published a post about canine thermoregulation and its implications when it comes to warm weather exercise. You all might want to check it out: http://www.varsityreportblog.com/2011/07/06/summertime-training-pt-1-canine-thermoregulation/

Cheers,

Dan

• Until recently I have always run with a Staffy. She has now retired from long runs (much to her disappointment as she would love to come, but is starting to creak). Until about the age of 8 she could quite cheerfully do 20 miles over hills and rough terrain, obviously with a staffy you never have to worry about meeting dodgy geezers, and in the days before I had a car she would also be quite happy in the luggage rack of a bus!

Her jogging pace was probably slowish (due to stumpy little legs) but 6mph was a reasonable pace for her. It was literally like running with a small tank - she was always trundling along slightly ahead at a steady pace and absolutely nothing stopped her. They can move faster than this, however, I also owned her great grandmother who would run alongside a pony and trap for a good couple of hours at a time at a fair old speed.

I have now got an English Pointer. The days of the lazy day/lie in are definitely over.If he isn't out walking/ running he is wandering around the house collecting things (rugs, toilet rolls, shoes) to make a big pile. He has to be occupied all the time. However, he is, on the whole a big lazy wuss, he hates rain and the dark and he isnt nearly as good in heat as my staffy was.There are days when he quite openly tells me that he cant be arsed and is going back to bed as soon as he sees me with my shorts on! If he goes any distance you can almost watch the weight falling off him. He struggles with stiles and kissing gates, where the staffy used to just scramble over them, and he is terrified of cows. Smashing dog but not nearly as sturdy and his little mate.
  • Just to bang on about nuisance dogs again - in my view, the dog that is driven to the park, let out of the car for fifteen minutes and then bundled back in again to spend another 23 1/2 hours shut in its owner's kitchen is likely to be a nuisance to other park users. The dog that goes out and runs a few miles every day and spends the rest of its time being engaged in every day family life is not going to be a problem to others and is far less likely to wreck the house if you go out to work.

Ive been attacked by dogs - not nice.
    I also once had a man with a knife grab me when out running on the chevin valley. Imagine his surprise when he was knocked off his feet by two staffies. In the end I had to pull them off him so that he could run away!
  • I agree that the main reason for dogs to become destructive is because they're bored and don't get exercised enough and end up with too much pent up energy, thus making them much harder to control when they're out.  Most dog owners I know are responsible and put the required effort in, but with any group of people you do get those who like the idea of dog ownership much more than the reality.

I do wish mine (collie cross) had some healthy respect for horses and cows though, as she pads over to anything of any size to "say hello" and try to round everyone up...  image

I have wondered what she would do if I ever got attacked, whether she would try to 'protect' me somehow.  She is normally mild mannered with a very even and happy temperament, so no idea what would happen, if...

• image *waves*

I run with my 2 dogs, every other day. I do 40-50 mpw with them. One is a GSD x husky breed and the other a working line GSD. They wear harnesses and their leads are attached to my running belt, so I can run 'hands free'.

The things I like about running with my dogs:

• They are the best running buddies - they don't whinge on about injuries (only the elderly discuss their health more than runners), or go on about negative splits.
    • Tourists don't stop me to ask for directions.
    • Safety - who's going to assault me with 2 dogs in tow and snot down my top?
  • This thread has been going for years... glad I found it! image

My kids have been banging on at me for ages about getting a dog and I've always managed to sidestep them. But we do all love dogs and I reckon we can fit a dog into our lifestyle now, especially as I'm back running again and the dog could become my running buddy.

The kids and I like Jack Russels (amongst others) but I wonder what they're like on running? Are those legs just too short or what? I'm no racing snake myself but I reckon I'll be back to half marathons (my best time was 1.32 yonks ago) as my standard level soon, although I might just do the odd 20 (I really enjoyed the Worcester 20 where I was pleased to do 3.09) but usually it'll be  the 5-10K distance for daily runs. Of course, part of the idea is for the kids (read "teenagers") to also get the dog out for walks themselves, as they've promised they will (we'll see eh?) so in theory the dog could be doing my runs and also walks with the teens so that would be its 'standard mileage'. But if I get injured (been there a few times) I don't want to have a dog that will go stir crazy without its miles...

So, any thoughts about a Jacko?

Cheers

Rob

• I used to run with a Yorkie; a surprising running partner but she used to eat the miles. I got worried that I was doing too much (up to 10 miles even on Exmoor) so did one lap, took her home and went to do another... she chased me up the road. She is now 14 years old and still likes to run but in her own time and at her own pace and only when she feels like it! I would say that Jack Russell's would be even more 'up for it'. In my experience terriers generally are as happy out there as curled up at home. From this I would say a Jack Russell would be perfect for the distance you describe, as long as you do not allow it to get overweight! (many are) Your vet would be able to advise a sensible weight. These days I can over do things with the Wiemeraner (a great running dog) but she is 11! But; she used to be a right pain if she did not get the distance she became used to...

• I ran with a friend who brought a dog, which was OK when the dog was off lead, for the first mile, but at certain points it wasn't possible. Now I'm an animal lover but I have to admit after tripping over the lead and Dog so many times as he ran left and right, I was close to throwing him in the canal, never again!

• It's down to training, my Shepherds have never tripped me up, Nemo adjusts his pace so he's always just ahead of me on his leash, young Charly is starting to get into running at 7 months but he's so obedient he runs free.

• I got a Beagle called Fudge from the rescue centre about a month ago - he loves running - we do 6-10 miles at a fair pace and he bounds on without fatigue - he is attatched to me with a flexi lead but does not disturb my running - I got him specifically as a running partner - it was a good choice.

• I run with my Staffy and he's great.  All my runs are off-road so he's always off lead (unless I come across another dog on lead and then I clip him on too), we average around 9 min/ miles and he's more than happy doing 40 - 50 miles a week including long back to backs on a weekend.

• Thanks everyone! This is really encouraging.

Sounds like one of the first things to buy the new dog will be a flexi-lead and a harness...