Race /Fun Run etiquette

Comments

• I felt intimidated at the point when he tried over taking me, when it looked like I was going to be pushed into the curb - he felt way too close, when there was space we were not in a crowd - so it was like 'what the hell is he doing' - yes intimidating.

Then seeing him up finally over take and run close with the 2nd woman was worrying in a sleezy way. So there was a feeling of intimidation and then thinking he was sleazy. I wouldn't say it was a feeling of being threatened because I thought I was going to be jumped on. Its not always about that. 

I mean I've said I've only done a 5 of these, and generally as I'm a slower runner I don't see the competative side... people at the back run and chat and pace each other, motivate each other. I don't see tactics. So yep his behaviour, you guys have told me was totally normal, but not knowing this at the time, and my reason for posting was to find out - I can't help at the time finding it intmidating and it didn't feel friendly so would have added to me thinking he was sleezy. 

And to be honest you see men rubbing up again women (and men) on crowded tubes and trains all the time. I had a biology teacher who was fond of standing too close and finally got done for attempted assult on some poor girl image  So call me cynical!

Problem with forums is we don't know each other, or where we all come from. I have no idea why Mr Puffy took such major offence, I have no idea on his life but its good to have proper discussions on this stuff with some people who love running as well, so thankyou - he was drafting, next time, I slow down and let who ever (man woman, hare, tortoise, dog of all ages) over take. 

And thats an excellent point Cougie on his pace matching ours being an older guy. 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Cheap shots? You have to be kidding, just to be clear the hysterical accusations I'm referring to are you accusing me of going to races to rub up against women.

i haven't picked a fight with you at all, I just commented on your post from my own perspective. What I really wanted to post was that if you can't handle running alongside men of any age you need to find another sport.  If you only want to read posts that say what you want them to you're on the wrong forum as well.

and then of course it would be ok if only my remarks were humorous, that just comes across as a bit shallow really.

• Ah OK - I get the intimidated bit now.

I'd not let anyone make me slow down though - you have as much right to be there as he does. When I race its only the sweaty smelly people or people who breathe like Darth Vader really annoy me and I will try my best to get away from them.
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Has someone said something terrible on page 3 of this thread... or is it just me who gets an error message when trying to access it?

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

The whole forum is creaking - maybe it's the heat!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

In fact, this seems to be the only thread I can even open now image

• oh Mr Puffy - go away. Seriously you just sound like an angry old man. 

You went on the offensive, you could have posted something simple 'like it was tactics' but you wanted to pick a fight and you just seem sad. Maybe your having a bad day, maybe you dont like women, maybe you knew all there was to know about running when you started and find people who ask questions and are learning hard to deal with. But just do one, tootle off and find someone else to pick on, maybe some one with even less posts than me. But do one. 

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

i love to help people out, I've been doing it on here for years, and I will continue to do so, so sorry I won't be "doing one". 

I pulled you up on your point that his age made you feel creepy, that's all, I certainly did not pick on you. And I didn't make wild insulting allegations either, that was you.

perhaps you just can't accept that someone disagrees with you without turning on them. We old men tend to have got over that years ago.

• Oh, Ninjablossom.  You are tiresome.

• you do make really large judgments don't you? I shouldn't run with older men, I can't accept people who disagree with me. What else do you know about me from all of a few posts? 

Read your posts back (I suspect you might find this hard as you have trouble reading any it seems) I have hit a nerve on the age thing ey. Maybe you need to work on that and be more accepting of others points of views and where they might have come from to get to that point of view. Its called open mindedness if you want to look it up. 

• Intermanaut wrote (see)

Oh, Ninjablossom.  You are tiresome.

And your so rude.

• Technically, that ought to be *you're*, Intermanaut.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Terrific thread. Only just read it due to the site having problems.

NB, I'd recommend you never do a race on the track. You'd probably say everyone in the race was intimidating you and being sleazy!

Often in races you have surges and then need to ease down. It's a classic tactic to sit in behind someone for a while as it simply feels easier. Especially if there's a gap ahead of you.

Some old guy was drafting me very closely at my last race. Annoying yes, sleazy, no.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

NB, I'd recommend you never do a race on the track. You'd probably say everyone in the race was intimidating you and being sleazy!

Often in races you have surges and then need to ease down. It's a classic tactic to sit in behind someone for a while as it simply feels easier. Especially if there's a gap ahead of you.

Some old guy was drafting me very closely at my last race. Annoying yes, sleazy, no.

Surprised he could keep up with you.  He must have been a very fit, old guy.

• Out of interest, what is the etiquette about using a stranger to pace you?

In my last marathon, I had this guy sitting right behind me for about 3 miles, and if I changed my line, he would move over to follow in my footsteps, if I slowed down, so did he.

Now it wasn't a particularly windy day, so there was no need to sit right behind me and if he did want to use me to pace him, then I would have preferred him to move alongside me and at least say hello, even if he didn't want to chat.

I got fed up with it eventually and stuck in a burst of speed for a few hundred metres and that seemed to drop him, but it was annoying at the time.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Is there anything wrong with a cheeky glance at a nice bottom or pair of legs in a race? Or is it to be frowned upon? Not that I'd do that of course.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pudge wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Surprised he could keep up with you.  He must have been a very fit, old guy.

He must have been fairly tasty, as I was doing the 10k and he was doing the half!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah bah crie wrote (see)

Out of interest, what is the etiquette about using a stranger to pace you?

In my last marathon, I had this guy sitting right behind me for about 3 miles, and if I changed my line, he would move over to follow in my footsteps, if I slowed down, so did he.

Now it wasn't a particularly windy day, so there was no need to sit right behind me and if he did want to use me to pace him, then I would have preferred him to move alongside me and at least say hello, even if he didn't want to chat.

I got fed up with it eventually and stuck in a burst of speed for a few hundred metres and that seemed to drop him, but it was annoying at the time.

The types that insist on sticking very close even when you weave like mad are very annoying. I like to see how far I can drag them across the road. And then back.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I usually try and engage those types in conversation.

If they are too tired to talk ill speed up for a bit.
  • Stevie G . wrote (see)
    Ah bah crie wrote (see)

Out of interest, what is the etiquette about using a stranger to pace you?

The types that insist on sticking very close even when you weave like mad are very annoying. I like to see how far I can drag them across the road. And then back.

That sounds like a  better plan, at least it would take my mind off the run for a while...

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

NB3 -- I don't think the age of anyone to whom you referred to in you OP is relevant to the question you were asking.  Just saying...

• I have realised that I must be a creepy weirdo....

In races i often catch up the person infront of me and then stick behind them for a while until i get my breathing and heart rate under control and then aim for the next person in front to catch up...........

I think stick closely on their shoulder........sometimes when i catch up with them i feel strong and so don't tail them but move on to the next person i can catch.......

seems like instead of using them as a way to encourage myself to overtake people and run faster,.............I must be a dirty old leachorus man who is having some kinky day out instead of trying to run a race as fast as I can

• I have improved to the level that I often find the top few women are running around my pace - some of them have very nice bottoms.

Often I catch them up from behind as they probably start near the front as they think of themselves as the best women whereas I think of myself as an also ran man. Sometimes I also slow down and run with them because I am tired.

However

1) If I ran pervily close to them we would fall over each other's legs.

2) I am normally running at my physical limit and whilst a nice bottom is a nice bottom a quick appreciative look is about all I am up to mid race.

3) I have no idea how I could press my sweaty body up against them whilst running - that sounds impossible. But even if someone has some expert advice for me on how to do this please see 2)image

They were obviously getting protection from the wind or tired and dropped in behind to pace themselves - often you don't do this with every runner you pass, fully agree with seren above.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I agree with Seren and skinny.

It seems as though older blokes can't do anything these days without being accused of being some sort of deviant.

If the runner looked more like Brad Pitt or George Cluney I wonder if such a fuss would have been made.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd imagine there's easier situations to act lecherous in then the middle of a flat out race!

• At the Bath Half last year I did draft a young woman (I'm mid fifties so most of them are young) to get round the far end of the second lap. It was about half a mile and I chose her because she overtook me at just the right point and wasn't too fast. I've no idea whether she had a nice bum or not but it got me through a rougher patch, I thanked her and eased off once we were back on the flat.

I'm feeling a bit guilty now. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I was pondering this today while taking part in a race. I'm in the middle of the pack so plenty of female runners around. It was a trail run and I was keeping an eye on the ground. And it occurred to me that to an onlooker it could appear that I was fixated on the female bum in front instead of looking where I was treading. Which is what I was doing. Honest.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I couldn't perv at any female arses at this year's London marathon cos there weren't any in front of me.  Harrumph!