Salford Rowing Triathlon

Comments

• We run instead of cycle, no idea for the reason behind not cycling. A couple of years ago the club used to cycle to Warrington and Back after the rowing session on Sundays but that stopped. Before my time unfortunatly

I think other rowing clubs cycle at some point in the season but for us we just row 12 months of the year. I guess the off season is now (last race at the start of November, next race in Feb) but we do the majority of our training now, base building i guess

• Everyone get their e-mail yesterday ? I'm off at 10 past 9, so an early getting up for me to get to Salford.

Should be fun though !
  • I didn't get one!

I'll find out tongight I guess. I had to miss trainnig last night due to assignment deadline

Will let you know

Where you travelling from Cougie?
  • Wirral.

Mail me your e-mail, and i can e-mail it through to you.

(in work, so haven't access to your older posts)
  • No, I haven't rec'd an email yet.

I'll not see my snail post as I'm away from home with work this week and not back to friday night.
  • 8:50 I've got to start!!! and I'm not a morning person.

Woken with a head full of cold this morning, so well pissed off! Will rest for at least today, and dose up on vitamin C, and keep my fingers crossed it's just a sniffle & will have gone by Sunday.

Jane
  • Run 6 miles and spun today, and I think I'll rest up for the rest of the week. Away tomorrow with work anyway, so won't be too difficult to take it easy.

Take it easy Jane and err on the side of caution. We aren't gonna get any fitter between now and Sunday.

Lloyd - you are off at 9.10 as well and are on the Ergo next to me. Wave as you run past !

• Maybe ducking out of individual event and joining relay team as cyclist due to bad back.
    Thanks to Rob for your help with this
    See you on the day and good luck all!
  • Jonny C has a team now. I'll spek with them tonight. You might have to do the rowing part (obviously very slowly as it won't count) and then use your bike time as the other two are individual and you're slot is then as well but we'll see what we can do

I missed training yesterday so it's 45 minutes on the rowing machine and a 6 mile run for me after it.

I won't be resting up this week. The Tri is part of my training :)
  • Already done 6 miles and 45 mins spinning. Give me spinning any day over rowing. Numb bum or what !!
  • Think I'd probably prefer the spinning as well :)

the run will have to be through all the Man Utd fans tongiht

Wonder how many times I'll hear "got your number" this week

They are so original
  • well only heard it three times so not too bad this week

Right

Team Unusual Suspects
    Rowing - Bubba - Should get 10 minutes
    Cycling - Jonny C - 30 mins?
    Running - Robbie - reckons he's the fastest rowing runner

Definatly confirmed by the way - you can either do the cycle on your own or take a tag from Mark Parsons - entirly up to you I think, you'll probably gain by taking the tag

All that's left is to say hi to you all on Sunday!

• Jeez. 10 mins for the row. Amazing. I'm still hoping for a short 12.

Oh did the Drag thing this morning - around 136 ?

Seeya Sunday !
  • I use 135, so seems spot on to me.

• cougie, thanks for the time.

12 mins for the row, you'll be leaving well before me then!

Still had no success getting the ergo to give a drag factor, not to worry, we'll take it on feel.

I'm not sure how'll feel doing the running after the biking and rowing. I've had several visits to the gym in the last couple of weeks, but have had to do it the opposite way round due to it being busy.
  • Well today I did my own variation of a Triathlon :)

I did the 3000m row followed by the new run (much better course than the old one, less twists and turns) and then right back on the rowing machine to do another 3000m

I take it that's a brick session is it? wantto know what I got? :) I don't suppose anyone has a spare road bike I could borrow on the day do they?

Lloyd I'll show you how to do the drag factor so you can know for the next time
  • Worryingly I'm still full of cold, which seems to have got worse each day rather than better, (despite the fact that I've done no training all week in the hope rest will help).

Hoping it has to disappear by tomorrow, in which case I'll do a little gentle exercise at the gym to see how I feel.

All being well I will have a go on Sunday, although it won't be an all-out effort. There's only 4 senior ladies entered in any case, so I don't want to let the side down...

Hope to see you all there, Jane

• I had a vomitty bug yesterday, feel a bit better today, but I could do without it. Now it's only the rest of the family who are suffering !

Good luck Jane - hope you feel better - you must try and come along and spectate anyway !
  • Think of the team :)

I'm getting quite excited now. Finally sorted out the tyre on my bike last night so will give it a try on the way to training tomorrow (A whole 1 mile) and working out a strategy RE kit

I'm wearing a pair of tights and a thermal long sleve top. For the cycle I'm putting on a pair of gloves and a Gilet and for the run I'll take off the gilet and gloves and hope to survive to the end.

I've even got a water bottle incase (£2.50 from wilkinsons, top of the range student gear :) )I get stopped at traffic lights - will just have water in this. Last time I tried to drink on the running and I almost puked. I might have a cup next to the machine as well so I can take a swig as I get off the machine.

I'm going to wear my running shoes for the whole thing (no clip pedals for me, I don't do cycling) but if it pisses it down I might wear a different pair of trainers for the ergo and bike so I can run in dry trainers.

What are other people doing? I have no experience of this and wondered if it seems ok, Do you have to leave your helmet with the bike or can you have it next to the rowing machine?

Any advice mucho appreciated. Ta
  • Jonny, just heard news you might be without Bubba (Mark) but fear not I do have a stand in should his illness not improve.

He's a slightly younger, slimmer model and a bit slower but it'll still mean you can compete and stand a good chance of doing well.

Jane, hope you feel better by Sunday, the entries are small on the womens side I think becuase the Womens coach was on Holiday when the entries were due in so couldn't bully the women rowers ;) unlike the guys they could get away with the team entries and helping out on the day.
  • Yep, kit choice is going to be tricky one. I see Sunday forecasted to be fairly breezy, hope it's less so than tonight when I was out for a short night ride on the bike.

Kitwise no experience either, I'm intending to go with cycling tights (though not padded as they'd be nasty running!) and a thermal top. I feel the cold so I'll add a gillet & waterproof jacket for the cycling and also don some gloves. For the running I'll remove the waterproof jacket.

Tried the ergo, cycling machine & treadmill in the right order in the gym on wednesday too, it was nasty!
  • Not decided yet on whether to wear the running shoes cycling, might be a tad uncomfortable but no doubt it would save time changing them.
  • Doh ! I've got flu, but getting better. Intedn to be in bed all day today, and hopefully be OK for tomorrow.

Prob go for my winter tights then - padded, and I haven't run in them. I have run in my bike shorts befpore and they are fine though. I'll add a windproof top for the bike, and might keep that on for the run.

Gloves will prob be good for the bike as well. I think you have to leave the helmet with the bike.
  • Ok cheers for the info on the helmet etc,

the number has to be visible on the back for the cycle and front for the run. That's why I'm still considering what to do.

I've just spent from 8 until now taking down a sectional building on Salford Quays, it's really really windy. Of the joy that we'll encounter.

cycling back in the wind just made my legs burn like hell and I wasn't moving very fast.

See you all in the morning, I'll get there about 8 AM I reckon, if you want to see what I look then mail me and I'll direct you to a piccy
  • Stupidly one drink led to another after seeing Turbonegro at the Uni last night, so now I have a hangover as well as a cold.

Nevertheless, determined to get an early night tonight, and awake fresh as a daisy, coldless & raring to go.

Was thinking shorts, but I think I'll go with running leggings now, (which I've cycled in before), plus gloves & a windproof top for the cycle. It may cost me a few seconds, but I'll also be changing into cycling shoes, mainly because I need the transition practice, and I don't think trainers will be terribly effective on Look pedals.

Not done any training since last Saturday, so not at all sure how things will go. Not bothered about times so much now - as long as I finish I think I'll be happy.

Jane
  • Did ya get there Jane ?

It was a good day - excellent facilities, and well organised. Some really fast people there too. Got over my flu mainly - row was as I'd thought it would be from my gym times, but I faded a bit on the bike and the run, but As I'd not eaten anything since Friday - didn't have much in the tank. I'll definitely be up for this again next year though.

Oh, and we got 3rd team - we'll have to work on that for next year ! ;-)

Cheers Guys !
  • I'll second that there were some fast guys there this year!

3rd in the team event wasn't bad considering we were all doing it indivdually. Although i'm a little confused. John beat me on the rowing machine and you beat me on the bike. Obviously I did my own running so how come my individual time was quicker than the team one?

Anyway, anyone got the results yet? I saw them yesterday, I was 5th, Cougie you were 13th I think
  • Yes, there was some frighteningly fast times, especially considering the conditions. Though the latter was better than expected after listening to the wind through saturday night.

Did better than I was expecting on the rowing, messed about in transition, OKish on the bike and was very knackered for the run, haven't a clue on my overall time.

A well organised event, and very neat facilities.

• Yes - I got there, and yes I got around, but I was last home of the 4 senior ladies :-( Enjoyed it though - really good to get out there & do something after a week feeling sorry for myself. Unfortunately I couldn't hang around afterwards, as we were meeting some friends from Germany for lunch.

Still had the sniffles, so found it fairly tough going, and was slow even by my humble standards, (time by my watch was 1'22 with rough splits of 14"/2"/37"/1"/28").

As I didn't get a chance last week to work out my drag factor, ended up setting the rower to 5 because it felt about right, and 4 felt too easy in warm-up. Regretted it after the first k, as it got harder, and I couldn't maintain the pace. I think I'll also need to work on technique if I want to do this one next year, (which Jonny seconded).

Bike course was fairly windy, but not as bad as I thought it might be. Got stopped by traffic lights 3 times, which were annoying, - chatting to the organiser though, it sounds like they may be able to use a new road next year, with no lights on it.

I also made the classic triathlon mistake of not walking through the transition ins & outs in my head before the event. Got confused when I got back from the cycle, and the marshall offered to take my bike & helmet, (that wouldn't happen in a regular tri), then after changing shoes, I mistakenly set off down the steps, rather than straight on to the run course - doh!! Not sure how much time I lost doing that, but at least I knew where my shoes were. Later I saw a guy get back from the cycle, and he couldn't find his running shoes - not a happy bunny!!!

Oh well - all good learnings for next time...

Glad to hear everyone else had fun too, Jane

PS - Jonny my email's down - so if you've sent my times, I won't get them 'til it comes back up again.
  • I've heard that there will be a road closure next year! so no traffic lights I hope. It is really annoying. I got stopped at the first set of lights for ages which negated any advantage I had from the rowing machine. And then later on, on the 2nd lap I was stopped again which left no one to chase and no one behind me.

I took it easier from then on to concentrate on the run. I think I got around the run in 18.28 on my watch but I started it a little late so I'm not sure.

I'm interested in seeing the results to see how I performed in each individual event. If I worked on my cycling I could get on the podium, only 14 seconds off this year and I think I lost by a couple of minutes on the bike