The need to stop... HELP

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I started the NHS couch to 5k podcast programme for the last 9 weeks and have been successful in it. I ran my first 5k a couple of weeks back and was really happy with the result. I am now training for a 10k in September and a half marathon in October.

I have been running every other day since I started the programme and have managed to get up to 6 miles in 1 hr 11mins. However over the last 4 runs my shins, knees and ankles are hurting at the end of the run.

On top of this I have slowed down and I can't go much further than 2 miles without having to stop. I have tried to run through this, to no avail. I then find it hard to keep going and stop a few times before the end of the run.

Any Advice, Hints or Tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Comments

• I had something similar when I started running. I got stronger and it stopped. I would try some strength work along with the running. I think the body has to go through a lot of adjustment if it is not use to moving.

• Take a break!  Dont worry about your looming 10k/HM, give yourself a week off running, its likely been a bit of a shock to your legs and its catching up on them.  Go out on your bike, go for a swim, go to a spin class/circuit class if you go to the gym.

Niggles like this are usually your bodies way of telling you to take a break.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I think you might be overdoing things Jason, it wouldn't do any harm to leave two days between runs occasionally, and I wonder if you are trying to go further each time? You e done 5k, but that doesn't mean you have to do 5 k or more every run, you could cut back to a mile or so so you get a benefit without burying yourself before the next run.

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

Yep, totally agree with Puffy. Sounds like over use.

It doesn't hurt to get some rest in and if you are injured, take a week or two to get better. Might be worth getting some advice from a physio too. Injury advice on the internet is generally pretty poor in my experience.

• I find that one stop often leads to two or three, mentally I think the will power slips once you stop once. I play a lot mental games like "I will stop once I get to the top fo this hill" normally once you reach the target you have passed the feeling and you keep going.

There is also no harm in dropping the pace down to recover for a few hundred meters without actually stopping. You often find the pace naturally pics back up again and mentally it feels better than coming to a complete stop,

• hello i just posted this in another thread but I'll mention it here too. I started getting knee pain in week 6 of the c25k, so i ordered two cool packs for my knees  so I can relax them a little post-run. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RXNF92

i pop them in the freezer before I set off, 40 mins later theyre nice and cool and I rest them on my knees for 15 mins. They start to feel more relaxed and it's quite nice to treat your joints after a long jaunt. i'm not a doctor but it's worked for me quite well. perhaps something to consider

keep truckin!

rwills

• Instead of stopping keep going even if it's only a walk, and accept it's hard work.. So you are having the odd walk, big deal, seriously it's meaningless image just keep going and don't give up, and after a few weeks typing will easily be doing what is now a struggle. It doesn't go perfectly some months are harder than others, they key is not giving up when things are not going great just keep on plodding and you will look back and laugh at your own struggles.

15 months ago I could not run 100 meters. Tonight I hit the 1,000 mile mark Ii'm total distance running. Don't worry just keep going.

• Most of wanting to stop is mental - and it is a bad habit to get into imo, I used to do a bit of run/walk in training but I'm glad I stopped.  Unless you're doing interval training its better to run at a constant pace, slower than go a bit too fast and stop every mile or two.

Sounds like (as others have said) you may need a few days off though.