Training advice for HM

I've got a half marathon coming up I'm hoping to do a good time for.

I've done a few HM's before, PB being about 1:47.  Over the last couple of months I've built up to doing regular runs every other day'ish of around 7 - 10 miles, steady pace, probably about 30 - 40 miles a week.  I'm running around 8min miles.

I would like to up my training and think I should probably do more interval type work (I don't do much at all at the moment).

I'm happy to put in up to 2 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. What would be the best way to make good progress from here?  Most programs have some very short days or 2 rest days. I'm wondering even if I do intervals, would I get more benefits form doing additional steady running even if just at an easy pace?  I feel as though if I can commit 2 hours trasining a day, then I want to make the most of it, but not sure if it's not giving my muscles enough time to recover or if it's mixing things up enough!

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I would say you have been steadily getting in some miles, but now I would look to change the balance, by:

- changing one session per week to a long run, and build this up to over race distance , say 15 miles

- keep a couple of easy runs

- change one session to a tempo run where you run 4 to 7 miles, paced at your half marathon pace or slightly quicker for a short tempo, or closer to MP on a longer session. Obviously add warm up / cool down.

- any other running -  keep it easy. 

My thinking is that a long run plus a decent tempo run will give you a good return in the time available for a half marathon

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Do you have a race in mind or are you just trying to improve your running before you commit?

For a hm I'd be looking at running 45 miles per week, I would probably be doing hill work because I tend to run hilly races. Hill reps will help your running regardless.

As Also-ran says, you need to build your long run to about 15 miles a week. Keep this run slow and steady. I've seen it advised that you do a tempo run the following day and then rest on the third day. The reasoning behind this is that it's not the day after your long run that you need to recover but the 2nd day after. I think that you need to judge how you feel though and do what is best for you.

If you wanted to do interval training, I wouldn't do anything under 1K, more likely 3k reps - 3x3k with warm up and cool down. I've done reps of 3 miles as well. 

I have found that tempo runs have made a massive difference to my pace. I used to just go out and run as far as I could. don't under estimate the value of shorter faster runs.

Don't under estimate the value of rest days either. These allow your body to epair and strengthen. You're not being lazy.

• Yep, I'm aiming for the Bristol Half (7 weeks time).

Thanks for the advice, I will def try and get some long distance runs in, furthest I'm going at the moment is about 8miles. Going to try a few intervals as well.  Thanks again.