The new home the RW sub 3:30 now heading for 3:15

Comments

• Hello new thread! Now that I don't have the guilt of 3,678 unread posts to catch-up on I can re-emerge!

Over-achieving on partying, under-achieving on the hard training. Ongoing resolution to try and balance them out again...

• Minni - Hi I'm confused.com. If this is the new thread, why can I still access the old one, and some people are still posting on the old one. Have we now go 2 threads to follow, or will everyone eventually seamless switch over to this one, once they realise there's no one talking to them on the other lol.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I haven't deleted the old one its just now it's hidden and unless you have a link you can't access it and some people can't post. 

I've  had a look and yes one person has posted. I'll put in a link for here. 

It would have been less confusing if RW hadn't deleted it in the first place! 

• Minni - Thanks for clearing that up. Btw, if you search under Forums, this new one still comes up under spring marathons. I thought RW might of pushed into a beginners forumimage

Spoons - I agree, much nicer forumites on this thread than the otherimage

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Felt a bit confused.com as well with the forum, I was the one who posted without realising the moveimage Thank you for the link Minni & I've let my OH Barry B know

AA Glad you had a great time in Ibiza - it's been years since I've been there

Re Insanity simon62w we have wooden flooring so Barry B hasn't ruined the carpet image

Speedsheep - myself & Barry are still speaking & my training is going well although I bunked off this morning!

2oldnever - I'm not running the Berlin Marathon, I'm going there to support my OH, Barry B on this forum. When he ran the Florence Marathon I got lost so didn't meet him at the finish. I did however find Prada! image

Great 26 mile cycle ride yesterday with Barry B to Marlborough and back despite nearly falling off! Really enjoyed it.

• New home! 

Hope you enjoyed Ibiza AA.  Fingers crossed it's not PF.

Sounds horrendous Oompa! Hope you get further forward on Friday.

Do we really have to share what we've done over the weekend, this was a one off!

Fri - 0 miles, approx. 4 pints of turbo shandy, 6 bottles of Kopparberg, some water, a few Carlings, mainly food cooked on barbeque, one large tub of Mr Whippy Sat - 0 miles, more Carling, more Kopparberg, some more water, more food cooked on barbeque, one large ice-cream cone Sun - 0 miles, one bottle of fizzy Lucozade, lots of water, a cup of tea, a bit more food cooked on barbeque (well we were driving home late last night so I didn't drink)

In my defence, we were at a festival.

Nice to hear everyone else has been a bit more relaxed lately! Apart from Bro, so Thunder Run went well?

Which marathon this weekend Spoons?

Good luck tomorrow Minni, are you doing the VO2 max test then too? When do you start on the blueberries?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Simon - you're being very demanding tonight!! The Beginners page is for beginners to running, not new threads.  This comes up under the Spring Marathon because that's where I posted it.

PL - I think I would have stuck to Prada too!

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Minni - I had to show willing image Prada & Chianti

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carrot - I think the full testing is on the next visit.  Tomorrow is gathering information, a blood test and gathering cells from the inside of my cheeks (facial cheeks - I hope image) before and after exercise.  I then do this again in 2 weeks (I think) with the full testing and then start on the blueberries after that.

What I'm wondering is how will they actually measure the impact of the blueberries.  I'm just getting back into proper training now and expect when they do the final fitness testing in about 3 months time my fitness will have improved a lot through the training.  I would how they factor this in.  Lots of questions to ask.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AA - I hope that PF wears off.  I'm sure it will.  Have you had it before?

Carrot - we saw the signs for the festival when in the Lakes yesterday.  Did you get soaked on Saturday night?

Glad to hear Weeble is still in party land!

• Let's hope it is the cheeks on your face Minni!! It rained on Saturday night from about 8pm til 10am Sunday morning.  We were back in our tent about midnight.  Once the rain stopped on Sunday morning it dried up pretty quickly, going off how heavy it sounded on the tent I was expecting waking up to a swamp outside!  We had the wellies but to be honest could have probably survived without them. It was raining again Sunday night so it was good that we were heading home for a much needed shower and sleep in a proper bed.

That's surely something they'll have to take into consideration with the blueberry testing, or do you think this is how a lot of performance enhancing products end up getting their reputation for being so good?!  At least all those blueberries have antioxidants in them.  I usually have a few in my porridge but probably not enough to get me a sub-3 by October.

• Carrot - Dovedale Dipper this Sunday

Tonight was 12 miles @ 9:00 pace

rest day tomorrow

The new pussy arrived today....

• I'd hope they do factor the training effect in Minni, otherwise surely it's pointless. Maybe having lots of different participants all doing varying training schedules helps account for that? How many blueberries will you be having to eat a day?

• Minni - Haven't you learnt we're always demanding image. How was your trip to the Lakes btw?

Spoons - Without lowering the tone too much, is it from a rescue centre and what are you going to call it?

Pinklady - Yes when I posted it, I thought it might be taken out of context, but glad to here he hasn't worn your carpet out.

AA - I hope it's not PF, as its a right royal pain

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Hi gang....I like what you've done with the place...very feng shui image

Minni - enjoy the testing day today. Hope the blueberries don't turn you blueimage

AA - no no no!! I really hope it's not PF.

Yesterday was a short recovery run and the weights session I missed from last week. My quads ache like a bugger today! I'm meant to be doing intervals but not sure that's a good idea on tired legs so will probably swap with an easy run and save the fast stuff for tomorrow.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

oh, hell AA - healing vibes - hope it's just a quick bout of flip-flopitis that'll cure itself when wearing different shoes image

At least it's blueberries, Minni - they are ok. If it were beetroot image ... hope the tests go ok. I'd be scared they'd find out how much my liver has shrunk and other drink-related stuff image

2old: did what you suggested - went offroad for half an hour last night and left the Garmin at home. It was hot but still a nice run. Then grabbed my bike and cycled to the lake for a swim. Made it back home with seconds to spare before the heavens opened image
    Another naked run this morning - did my 9 mile loop and it felt great to just run image

Think I'm ready for some tempo tomorrow image

• Morning all, I’m liking our new home.  I’d completely lost the links on my phone and computer, hence the radio silence!

Good to see a lot of running and drinking going on – kudos to Brolish & FRC for your TR, with the emphasis on the thunder!

Not much to report from here. I’ve spent a couple of weeks trying to let my chest/back settle down, but also managed to smack my knee at cricket 10 days ago which is still giving me gip. Not quite in your league yet though Oompa.

Tried to crank up the HM training over the weekend, so did 9M on Sunday (furthest for nearly 2 months) and the plan was for a threshold run this morning. However, failed miserably in a storm of S&Sness, so gave up after 2 miles @ 7.10 pace. Onwards and upwards, have a long way to go to get in shape for a HM PB attempt in November.

As for booze, I’m officially banned at the moment as we’re counting the days until Mrs R drops. It’s fair to say that I'm looking forward to celebrating in the style of your weekend Carrot when the times comes though!

• AA – im substantially slower without my wetsuit. I’ve fallen into the typical runner / triathlete trap of becoming dependant on the wetsuit to take care of my body position in the water. Even in the winter I use a pull bouy to imitate wetsuitimage. To try correct that I’ve done all my swimming this summer without my wetsuit and it appears to be making a difference.

I do hope you don’t have PF image

Minni – good luck at the trial today - haha - that sounds like you're about to pulled infront of a magistrate!image

Spoons – tapir madness set in yet?

Weeble – how to see unread posts?

Carrot – your weekend sounds like my July – Glastonbury flowed into three weekends of stag do’s (2 of which I was best man), then birthday weekend. I would say August will be better but now it’s wedding month!!

Red – How long till the nipper is due?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-that must have been a great relaxing session/tri. Looks like it worked too, nice 9 and positivity

Red-full on as usual I see-hope the knee is ok. Bangs on the knees today can be a nightmare when you are 2Old-I was a goalkeeper in another era so know

Simon-yes nicer here-I never liked that guy who cycled around The Trough Of Bowland a lot on the other threadimage

Carrrot/minni-on the subject of super foods I tried beetroot juice on Sunday-apart from the disgusting taste can I lay the blame at its door for my poor slow swim?

Saw the Consultant last night who gave me some Extra Corporial Shock Wave Therapy which felt like a high powered pneumatic ballbearing banging at the lump on my achilles. Painful ,but it has provided relief.2 more sessions to go so fingers crossed. Funnily enough the guy he saw before me had done the 100 mile run in the Lake District last weekend and the treatment I had is supposed to be good for PF. He told me to carry on training but not do a marathon today-ha ha.

A run this lunchtime I think

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

halfway though and been sent put for a 5 mile run! I have manflu and no Garmin. image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

So I go away for a few weeks and when i come back everyone is hiding - something I said?  image  image

My daily training has been pretty constant for the last 2 weeks, I think it meets thread rules:

70 miles bike.  Aperitif - sports recovery beer.  Pichet of house rose.  Another beer if needed.  image

All in all nearly 900 miles on the bike, a really nice tour through France - took a route from Dieppe south with a few easy days through flat farmland, then into more undulating country in the limousin before turning east at the auvergne and getting to the climbing proper through the ardeche and vercors, and finally into the alps. Met some friends in Alpe d'Huez to do the tri there - a fab race and a great way to round off the trip.  We were planning to do a few more days and head over Ventoux, but the heat was starting to get to us so we've left that bad boy for another trip.

Already jealous of your trip to the pyrenees O4S - what route are you taking to get there?

Some great running going on, and I cant wait to hear more about both the thunder run and minni's lab testing.  AdH tri race report to follow!

• Hi Weeble- good to have you back!

AA- hope it's not serious...image

Chick- nice naked running. Good luck with the tempo.image

Red- look after the knee. Exciting times, hope you won't have to wait long for the celebrations!

KFC- some epic cycling from you by the sounds of it.image Your trip sounds awesome.

2Old- fingers crossed pneumatic ballbearing banging does the trick.image

Oompa- into on 24 TR here.. It's epicimage.

Minni- good luck with the tests. I love blueberries so if you get sick of them, send some my way.

A few easy miles for me tonight and something faster tomorrow morning. I'm loving the rain for a change.image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Forgot to say congrats to Bro, FRC, et al on completing TR - well done guys image

Minni: how can you tell you did 5 miles without a Garmin image

wow, kfc, epic bike trip. Well jel

2old: sounds promising, no? What's the diagnosis then?

Redders: let us know when lil' R has arrived image

• Jeez 2Old, a ball-bearing fired at your achilles sounds image... Think i'll take my chances with my gammy knees!image

Minni - Good luck with your "testing" day. Did you turn up this morning as your alter ego... "Beetroot Girl"?

Bro - That looks image & image, in equal measure! How many were in your team and how long a stint did each of you run?

Redders - Good luck with your impending wee bairn.image

KFC - image... And you chose to climb the mountains??? Did you have regular EPO feed stations?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp-its not as bad as it sounds-this is a good description http://foot-and-ankle.co.uk/eswt.html .Might work on your knee?

Minni-bet thatrun tested you to the limitimage Hope you passed the liver function test-I always failed the ones held at the beginning of the week after a heavy weekend.

Squeezed in a spin this lunchtime

• 2old - fingers crossed. 

Carrot - sounds like a great weekend. And a nice rest for you. 

Kfc - sounds amazing. You must be super fit now. Are you planning a marathon soon?

minni - can't wait to hear about it. 

MrZ - are you doing Henley?

Weather was shocking this morning so hit thE gym. 15.6 miles on the bike in an hour then tried running image too painful. So did 30 minutes on some air runner type thingy. Lots of sweating!! I'm really hoping its not PF. Was worse today then yesterday. Had it a few years ago but never stopped me running. 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Alpe d'Huez tri race report  

I did the 'short distance' - a 1.2k swim in the valley, 30k bike - last half up the hill and a 7k run to finish at the top. The longer distance one is the day before and is a real toughie - the 115km bike takes in 2 other cols before the AdH climb.  OH and I got a front row seat to see the first 30 or so racers on the last few km of the hill when we were riding it fully laden to get to our accommodation - they were really motoring, especially compared with our touring pace.  

The race didn't start til 2pm and it was baking hot. Left it as late as possible to get into the wetsuit and in the water, and was still bobbing 30m behind the start line when they started us - 6 minutes early! Starting at the back of a 1200 person mass start made for a horrible swim with lots of argy bargy. Finally got out the water and on the bike.   

The first 10 miles on the bike are fast and flat and although drafting wasn't officially allowed, with so many people racing peletons quickly formed.  I happily joined one and whizzed along at 25mph until the bottom of the hill.  

The chance to race the Alpe d'Huez climb was the real reason for doing this race.  Pantani's record for the climb is 37:35, it had taken me 2 hours with luggage (and a lot less doping) and while its not that steep, its a sustained gradient for a long time that needs good pacing - like a marathon.  I kept my effort to feel like MP in the first 5 miles of a marathon which worked - I maintained pace all the way and had more in the tank to give it some extra beans in the last few km, despite sweating so much in the heat I sweated a contact lens out of my eye. image    Climb time was 1.25 - still 30mins slower than the fastest lady.    

Now, its fair to say my touring bike was a little out of place - while I'd taken the panniers off, nothing could stop it being an old mtb with (locked out) front suspension, wide tyres, pannier rack and a bell. image    The spectators all the way up were awesome, especially when they saw what I was riding. The encouragement was great, and even better was getting doused in ice cold stream water by them.  

After all the fun of the bike, I was a bit CBA about the run, but bashed it out and sprinted for the line to nudge just under 3 hours. Great atmosphere at the finish area, which had lots of inflatable hot tubs filled with cold water and the sweat of hundreds of competitors. Shows how hot it was that a dunking in that scummy soup was a luxury.  

Great race, a really fun one to do with a group of friends and a great end to our trip.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

oompa - the budget didnt quite stretch to EPO or bloodbags, but lots of patisseries, cheese, peaches, coke, coffee and wine did the trick!

AA - no marathon plans yet, although I do want to do an autumn one.  Was tempted by amsterdam but dont want to travel, and I've come to the conclusion York would be great as I'm going there that weekend anyway, only problem is its sold out.  Anyone know anyone with a place spare?  image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

KFC: sounds fantastic! I know what you mean about the bike - we rode up Ventoux on our previous bikes, no toe clips never mind SPDs, pannier rack and one pannier each. Passed 2 French cyclists on lightweight racing bikes and all the flash kit. They were not impressed when we cycled past them image (especially when we greeted them in English!)

only managed 3 miles today, legs felt like concrete posts after the weekend cycling image

2old and Oomps: hope there is good news on the injury front soon

Redders: hope you are stock piling sleepimage