The new home the RW sub 3:30 now heading for 3:15

Comments

• Sounds like fun KFC!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

KittenKat -  thank you for that.  Its a bloody disgrace RW deleting the thread and all your stuff.  The thing that pi$$es me off the most is they don't even bother to reply to the emails asking what's happened.   They're lucky we didn't all disappear to Fetch.

KFC - that sounds great (apart from the swim image)  And glad you found us.

2old - that sounds quite positive?

Lab testing. image  Well slightly disappointed. 

It all started well with an overview of what its all about and what's involved. Lots of discussion - all very interesting. Then there was a collection of cells from my inner cheek (face!) and finger prick for blood.  I'd been asked to take my running kit but wasn't sure what was expected of me but I was then asked to go out and do a normal training run.  Feck I hadn't brought my garmin so couldn't do intervals so stuck to a lap of the TM, which I reckon was around 5m.  I then repeated the cell and blood samples. 

I was then told they would do this another 3 times to give the control and then I'd start with the blueberries, 2 portions a day for 12 weeks.  During this time I would need to carry out the above testing once every two weeks.

This was all great but then I asked if it was the next visit that they did the V02 max test etc (as I'd been told) and he said that they'd now decided against using that as a measure in the test because they can get all the information they need from the cells and blood.  image I was a bit pi$$ed off because that's what attracted me to the study in the first place.  I'm willing to give up the time and effort to take part and I was getting something of value to me in return. 

So now I'm wondering if its worth bothering with.  image

Tonight I did running club as we had a new member coming along who I'd spoken to and wanted to run with her.  7 miles tonight.

All this on top of manful!

I bought a pair of racers to cheer myself up. image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Carrot! image

• Hi new thread, not sure if I'm in the right place as I'm bit of a lightweight when it comes to drinking only managed a bottle of red and a can of cider over the weekend and even managed to persuade Pinklady from opening another bottle on sunday night as we were both running Monday morning.image

Welcome back to Weeble, Z and Oompa.

AA - Speedy recovery, I was out for 3 months with PF and was not fun.

2old - Fingers crossed the new treatment helps, how does it work.

Minni -  Maybe ask them for a VO2 max test as your are giving your time and effort to help them.

kfc - Sounds an amazing trip and experience.

Loving the weather this morning, cooler with some drizzle, 11.3 miles for me, splits 8.09,7.44,7.40,7.16,7.11,7.09,7.17,6.55,7.13,7.10,7.03,7.04   for an avg of guess what? -  7.20 image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-this explains the treatment-

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT)

http://foot-and-ankle.co.uk/eswt2.jpg

Description

Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a treatment method that delivers impulses of energy to targeted tissues of the body. The impulses can be aimed at areas in which there are problems such as tendonitis or fasciitis (pain in the connective tissue or fascia). This initiates an inflammation-like condition in the tissue that is being treated. The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s own healing processes. The shockwaves break down injured tissue and calcifications.

How ESWT works

Studies continue to determine the precise mechanisms that are at work, but the essence seems to be that a chronic problem such as tendonitis or fasciitis is transformed in to an acute inflammatory situation, which the body is then able to heal.The treatment initiates an inflammation-like condition in the tissue that is being treated. The shock waves break down injured tissue and calcification. The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s own healing processes

Hope the copy and paste works!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-Must have been very frustrating especially as the real reasonyou were there was to measure your VO2 accurately.Still you got some shiny new racers out of itimage

Carrot-image

Barry-looks like its all coming together -great run though it brings home the reality of the target MP.

KFC-that must have been a fabulous tri-what a way to fill a day

O4S-congrats on upsetting the French in their own back yard. A lesson to us all too about not needing to worry about whether our bikes/running shoes etc need to be the latest model and weighing  0.5g less.

Managed a 10k jog last night in a steady but restrained 49 mins. Normally that would take 46 mins so a bit to catch up on assuming this treatment works.

OW swim tonight -just to make sure I dont run again

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday, carrot image

KFC: wow, epic report - well done! Mr. Chick loves annoying 'proper' cyclists when he's going shopping on the MTB, complete with panniers by going as fast as he can (for about one mile or so) but they always give him evil stares image

Minni: now that's annyoing image I bet it was all part of a cunning plan to entice as many volunteers as possible.

Well, I said I was ready for some tempo but my body wasn't having any of it. Managed 3 paltry miles @ 7:10 but it felt much much harder than the 6:50ish run I did the other day. It was pouring down with rain and I had trouble to see where I was going. All in all 10 miles d&d, av. pace 8:00. Onwards and upwards.

• Belated Happy Birthday Carrot!

KFC - what an awesome experience, sounds like you had a blast!

AA - really hope your foot problems aren't pf, hope you get it sorted soon!

Minni - that really sux that you aren't getting what you thought from the blueberry trial image

Barry - excellent 11 miles from you there.

2Old - sounds like you are coming along ok.

Chick - that is still a decent 10 mile run, put it down to a bad day in the office, you'll crack it next time image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-definately a decent run-doesnt running in hot (even if it was wet)conditions equate to faster times in cool conditions?

Kiwi-I hope so thanks

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Still a very good run chick. image

Barry - Yes I did that.  Awaiting an answer.

2old - how does it feel today?

My planned 10k for next Tuesday will have to be cancelled as I need to go in for minor surgery on Monday (nothing at all to worry about!).  I'm destined never to run 10ks!

• Carrot - happy belated birthday

Minni - have a moan and ask what they can offer

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

haha, Min - excuse comes in handy image

• Hi all and the new thread. Runners world do not seem in a hurry to fix the problems, lots of unhappy people at the momentimage

Happy birthday Carrot

Minni - the trial sounds interesting will the results tell you what you need to do to go under 3 hours for the marathonimage

Barry - nice quick run there

Chick - that's still a good ten miler in the bag.

Well I was due to do the James Herriott 15k off roader on Sunday but after speaking to a friend about the conditions local to the race early Sunday I decided against it and instead did a 14 mile training run followed by a 10 mile tempo run Monday morning, a hill session Monday night and tonight is 8 by 800 on the track.  Next race a week today at Morpeth 10k then for the next few weeks the races come thick and fast.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Shildon - Morpeth is Tuesday night I think?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭
    Spoons. wrote (see)

Minni - have a moan and ask what they can offer

I really hope you mean at the University and not at the hospital when she has minor surgery......image

• Carrot- Happy birthday, hope you're being spoilt rottten by Parsnip!image

Minni- that's really annoying.image I agree with the others that you should say something. Surely they understand that getting those tests done is why people are prepared to give up the time and effort. Sounds like a lot of hassle to be honest. Good planning with the 10k.image

Barry- very nice speedy 11 miler from you. You must be getting excited about Berlin... I know I would be... sigh.image

Chick- 8mm over 10m is still a very good pace, well done.

Shildon- tempo in the morning and hill session in the evening???image Damn, I don't think I'm training hard enough!

I was planning to do my tempo intervals this morning at 5am but failed miserably so will do it on the way home from work. It's not too hot today so should be ok. A bit annoyed with my new running commute into work, it's a lot longer and involves loads more traffic signals. On top of it there are only 3 showers (always busy) and take that- no hairdryers!!!image I really should've explored all this before accepting the job!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- bit of tingling in the area treated which I guess it is as it should be if the idea is to restart the healing process there. Also a bit of DOMs which again I suppose I should expect not having run 14miles in a 2 day period since early April. Altogether remaining positive thanks.I suppose surgery is one way to avoid running a 10k though not one I would choose.image

Shild- impressive training which is certain to yield  great results

Bro-I fell into the trap of thinking I wasnt training hard enoughimage. Stick to your plan you know it makes sense. How about a curly perm -wont need a hairdryer thenimage

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Bro - I think a hairdryer has to be first on the list of requirements for any prospective employer!!

Minni - hmmm....it does sound like a lot of effort with no reward except a shed load of blueberries image

2old - I've had that treatment for achilles before - as well as ultrasound and acupunture. To be honest I have no idea whether it really helped speed up the healing process...but you have to try and throw everything you can at it.  But what are they telling you about the cause of the problem, so you can make sure it doesn't flare up again? I had quite a few re-occurrences, thankfully none of them as bad as the first time, but collectively put me out a fair few months.  For me it was the latest orthotics that I have had (to sort my knee out) that have also stopped any further achilles problems.  Is it a biomechanical / gait issue for you?

Chick - 3@7.10 is better than nothing image

Barry - speedy 11 for you image

My run yesterday turned into a short tempo effort - started out 10 minutes easy pace and then put in 2 x 10 minutes @ 5k pace, with 5 mins recovery in between, then a slow 10 minute cool down.  Today was meant to be intervals, but ended up binning it as work yet again got in the way.  Maybe tomorrow....

And happy belated birthday carrot image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-yes im throwing everything at it too. Cause-overuse- a 295 mile month with 4 20mile LRs and 2 16 milers at MP plus 2 10k speed interval sessions a 86min HM all in March-I should have known Im not indestuctible! I needed to bin a few sessions then too

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - its hard not to go for it when you're feeling good and indestructible.  There's a lesson there for all of us.

Bro - yep frizzy perm is what you need!

I'm heading out for a 12 miler now.

• AA - Unfortunately my partner is moving to holland for a year that weekend, and has been fairly clear that it would be a relationship changer if i went racing that weekend.

Minni - that's incredibly frustrating image they often wonder why they struggle for participants... enjoy your run!

• Minni  - You're getting your checks swabbed for nothing and you're still complaining, typicalimage. Think of the free blueberries image

Carot - Happy B'dayimage.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Minni Push for what you were promised as you have given up your time!

AA  Hopefully it's not PF - my OH Barry B had it & was not a happy chappy! image It would be a shame as you have put a lot of hard work into your training.

Carrot Happy belated birthday

Barry B/OH Great running from you again - I'm proud!

Steady 5 mile run before work yesterday morning, at least it's cooler & I am still enjoying my routine of early morning running. Early morning run planned again for tomorrow. image

• Evening

8 miles tonight, steady pace plus weights

I've got a club 10km race tomorrow evening in preparation for Sunday's marafun...

• Hi folks

kfc: another nice tri, the alpe is on my to do list

AA; i will be at Henley, probably not very fit but there! Mr Z you will be missed.

Minni; demand the VO2 test, hissy fit required

cycled 57 miles this morning, had a huge sugar bonk at 40 miles, two bounty's later all was well. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DD I'm not surprised you needed 2 bounties after a huge bonk! image

Intervals for me tonight.  600m so not so bad.  My cold has moved to a cough now so I'll monitor the effort.  Yesterday I really wanted to get my 12m in but was still feeling under the weather.  I averaged about 9:10 m/m but had a few 10 m/m at the beginning trying to keep the effort really low.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I seem to remember Gobi (who used to be a regular on the Marathon Training thread) once rode up Alpe d'huez on a Brompton image

Intervals d&d this morning - only 8 x 500m but managed them all at 15kph and didn't image afterwards image

Good luck for the 10k spoons image

Well done getting the 12 in Minni, even if you're not feeling great.  All miles bagged.

• Morning

Free: anything Gobi does is likely to be extreme. Though my claim to fame is that i overtook him at Comrades in 2005.

Minni: chill if your unwell

Ran a easy 8 miles around the lanes at somewhere around 8-20 m/m pace, will probably do Stur 1/2 M on Sunday but nowhere near eace fit so 1-45 would be just fine. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

nice intervals, Freemers. Was supposed to do some today but slept in image. I may be crazy and do them in 28 degree heat later. At least warm up can be kept to a minimumimage

Hope the cough clears, Minni. Still, 12 miles when under the weather sounds pretty good to me.

DD: have fun at the half. Sometimes it's great to jog along and then overtake plenty of people towards the end image

• Free- you run your tempos at 5k pace??? That's speedy, I'm lucky if I master something approaching my 10k pace on tempo effortsimage. Nice 500s today as well.image

Chick/ Minni- good luck with your intervals tonight, better you than me. It's freaking boiling again.image Summer is so so overrated. I miss winter training!

Frizzy perm.... yeah that could work. Or I could just shave it all off!image

8m last night with a faster bit in the middle; 1m @ 7mm, 1m @ 7.50, 1m @ 7.00. Rest day today.