Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy

I had this on Monday-

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy (ESWT)

http://foot-and-ankle.co.uk/eswt2.jpg

Description

Extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) is a treatment method that delivers impulses of energy to targeted tissues of the body. The impulses can be aimed at areas in which there are problems such as tendonitis or fasciitis (pain in the connective tissue or fascia). This initiates an inflammation-like condition in the tissue that is being treated. The body responds by increasing the blood circulation and metabolism in the impact area which in turn accelerates the body’s own healing processes. The shockwaves break down injured tissue and calcifications.

Has anyone else ? How did you get on? Did it work?

Comments

• Is this much different to ultra-sound treatment?

• What area did you have it on and how many tratments planned? It can work really well, but doesn't work on everyone. Big positive is that in unresponsive injuries the option is often cortisone injections, however this is non-invasive and far fewer side effects and potential problems compared to injections. It's a bit of a "worth a try" treatment. 

Much more intense than ultrasound. AFAIK only medics can do it. It's more like what they use to blitz kidney stones.

• I had this treatment (10 in all I think) and it worked wonders for me! After 3 months wearing one of those rigid boots for the injury to try and heal itself (which it didn't) this was a godsend. Then again it might not work the same for everyone.

• ESWT is also indicated for plantar fasciitis but the evidence of it being effective is a bit hit and miss - some say it works, others don't

when my PF was at it's worst last year I spoke to the sports medic treating me about this treatment (he is medicaly qualified - managed the GB Paralympic medical squad in 2012) and he doesn't use it as he says the medical evidence of it's success just isn't there for PF - maybe different for achilles issues.

if you're given the option to try it after using other methods and it works - great.  but equally there are as many tales of it not working so don't hold your breath just in case.

(and yes - it's the same method used for treating kidney stones - lithotripsy)

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ok thanks-so it seemed to work for some and not others. I've had one session so far and another to come on Monday with a final one one on Thursday. I can't say my achilles is noticeably improved though the consultation gave me the confidence to run a bit more than I had before .-20 miles last week- the furthest since April when I was doing around 60. Think I may end up gradually running through this like I did when I had it about 6 years ago. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Another zapping session tonight. More painful than last time but the consultant was pleased as he was of the opinion that the swelling had become more diffuse in the week gone. Another session on Friday and I will run some more before then to test it ....I hope . 

• Good luck, interested to hear how it goes. I'm cautiously optimistic about mine (different part of foot). 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

PL-thanks.Im feeling positive too as I managed an 8 mile run at 7.29mm av pace last night and whilst I felt some discomfort there was no pain and this morning the achilles was not as stiff as usual. I had patella tendonitis a couple of years ago and had dry needling treatment which seemed to work and the return to running then involved running through discomfort until a complete recovery resulted. Im limiting myself to running every other day for the time being and will start to increase mileage this weekend. Do you still have symptoms and do you run inspite of them and see a gradual improvement too? Good luck anyway

• I have had this for PF, i thought it worked initially but soon came back.

I am now having it to break up scar tissue in my quad, doesnt seem to be doing anything although my physio keeps telling me how much better it is getting........