London World Champs

2»

Comments

• how was T1 for you guys? it was a muddy bog by the time i got there on saturday afternoon

• Total mudbath! Wasn't as slippy as I thought it would be though. I didn't see too many people falling. I heard the sprint was a nightmare on Friday for falls. Something crazy like 6 of the first 10 out of the water took a tumble along the way.

• having spent 4 days working in the transition area, I woudn't say it was a bog - let's just leave it at a tad sticky and muddy in places. image  but generally the grass surface held up well to the rigours of a few thousand athletes stomping all over it and for the standard race on Sunday, it had dried out a bit.

as for those taking a tumble on the sprint as they came into transition, that was because the wet plastic surface on the T entry was like teflon and people didn't slow down when told to.  we quickly resolved the problem by laying some of the blue carpet down on it.

there were a load of sprint tri bike spills as well on the chicane section inside Hyde Park - over 200 I believe - but only 1 to hospital although loads of road rash.  the most bizarre accident happened in the open event on Saturday - someone slipped over in T and fractured some vertebrae!  

with drier but colder conditions for the standard race, there were only a couple of bike spills - mostly handling errors.

well done those who raced - I said hi to a few pirates and people I knew.

Petal came 24th in the F60-64 of the standard race - was hoping for a top 20 but given recent injuries she's had, and minimal training, she was OK with that.  

• I wouldn't have said it was a mudbath either - thought it was pretty good considering the rain on Friday.

Lovely to see you both, FB and Petal - you were both great company.

I came 31st/87 and that was boosted by the half distance swim. I started off thinking staying out of the bottom 10 would be a challenge, so should be pleased, but of course have ended up thinking I should have been faster image. Think I'll stick to long distance tri for the time being!

It was a great day, though, and it felt such a privilege to be able to race on such an amazing route, and get cheered on just for wearing GB kit - quite like being a Pirate, really!

• PS I'm only posting this now to distract attention from the Lady Garden thread, as there could be mass destruction of swathes of Pirates any time now......