Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, Cudo. Welcome to the thread. the ' Message' system is a bit wonky but there might be something in your Inbox. If not, message me and I'll bury you in....stuff image

KS, 'sorry you're disappointed but, as you know, there's a silver lining...image Wait, it might be stool-coloured...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ooh a brown lining - come close to that a few times image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Even my posts are repeating on me ....

• You can say that again Orbutt.

• Welcome Cudo. This is the best place to be.

The 'Sub 4 or Yer_Maj will Kill You' group is going to interesting!

• Evening all hope all is well!

KS - unlucky on getting in I'm sure you will next time.

I might have to join this sub 4 or yer maj will kill you group my bro thinks we're being optimistic to be aiming for under 4 hours for our 1st marathon but theirs nothing like the threat of impending death to spur you on.

Cudo - welcome I'm also new hear only been on the thread about a week asked about 100 questions and all have been answered by these lovely people and definatly get the email of ATM very interesting and useful.
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    6 x 800m in 3m45. felt good. I thought that it would be boring as i was up to 10 x 1200m before Paris last time. Are pyramids better?
  • yer_maj wrote (see)
    Jaysus Jimbob I know I'm on my phone but us your avatar a poo in a hat?? image

Come on! It's Mr Hankey The Christmas Poo. Hi de ho!

• I very much fear that Jimbob's avatar is Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo image.

Yes, I'll be waiting at km 41 with my electric cattle prod to encourage any of the sub 4 train who might be flagging a bitimage

• Hi Cudo

Maus - that's one of the nicest things anyone's said image

RR - spill the beans on the orienteering exploits then...

TD - hope tomorrow goes okay.

Eggy - is it maybe something in the way you sit every day, or the way you drive or something? I used to have bother with a sharp pain around my right shoulder blade. Had it for years and could never get rid of it and couldn't work out what was causing it. Someone casually said to me one day "it's probably because you carry your rucksack over your right shoulder everywhere." Hey presto, problem solved.

KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Thanks for the commiserations, am pretty gutted not to have gone through to the shortlist.

No commiserations from me - I'm chuffed to bits you didn't get through. Now you can come to Pasta Papas and Corcorans image

• Orbutt wrote (see)

UisageJo - the tunnels ARE long enough to lose satellite link. What watch do you have? Do you have a footpod? If you have a footpod, then it keeps going based on your strides until it picks up the satellite again (Garmins do anyway - I had a Nike Sportwatch that got hellishly confused by tunnels)

Thanks Orbutt, I use a Garmin, no footpod at the moment, but something that's likely to be on the list to santa...

• On the footpad thing:  I have been trying out the new Garmin 620.  It has the accelerometer built into the watch itself (as does the new 220).  It no longer needs the footpod when the GPS signal is lost as the accelerometer takes over.  

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Lawyeraaron wrote (see)

Why all this talk about body fat%?  I hate that statistic.  I also hate that damn Body Mass Index chart.  Im 42 and I run marathons and the chart still tells me im overweight.  I do not have a typical runner's frame.  I weigh 186  lbs and when I get below 180 people start asking me if i'm sick.

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Yes, I'll be waiting at km 41 with my electric cattle prod to encourage any of the sub 4 train who might be flagging a bitimage

Oooh... Will you be wearing a grim reaper outfit? Welcome to Cudo.

Another 6 miles this morning and may have accidently on purpose entered a few more marathons image

• Emmy - I won't need the Grim Reaper outfit, because everyone will be sub 4 image.

Weedy - the orienteering wasn't an official thing, it was just for fun. One of my friends is from Prague, and her brother's girlfriend is a mad keen orienteer. When she heard there were runners visiting, she offered to set up a course for us in the woods just outside the city. It was really kind of her - she went out and set up all the checkpoints, and printed off maps and everything. I was a bit dubious because I have traumatic memories of school orienteering, involving endless featureless moorland, but actually it was great. And we barely got lost at all image.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

PC - I started doing pyramids at Tricky's suggestion, as part of his Demon Half plan. I think the idea is to mix stuff up so that you don't get bored. You can do  different pyramids,  Intervals and also Fartlek (he, he - he said 'fart' image).

The basic pyramid starts at 400m. 600m, 800m, 1k, 800m, 600m, 400m

Then there's 500, 500, 750, 750, 1k, 750, 750, 500, 500.

The hardest bit for me is that nowhere around here is flat enough to alow a true session - and I have to take that into account when setting my timings.

Weedy - where's the piccy of Yer Maj holding your chopper? That'll scare the sub 4 people.

Dannirr. I've used both types of chest strap with the same problems but I'd be willing to try another another. Oooh - you've got the 620? Always an early adopter, how is it?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I must admit that i'm getting a little nervous about my trusty 305 at the moment. The battery is a little weak and this morning the GPS was awful and kept dropping out (1.33 per km anyone?)

• Jimbob all the way wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)
    Jaysus Jimbob I know I'm on my phone but us your avatar a poo in a hat?? image

Come on! It's Mr Hankey The Christmas Poo. Hi de ho!

Thanks to this post, I went to sleep last night singing 'Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo'. Ha.

EmmyHoHoHo - Santa list?

• Orbutt - do you need to worry so much about pacing on intervals? I simply run them as hard as I can. I never look at the watch and think, "Ooh, I can go a bit slower now". The point is to push your limits. I only use my watch to measure distance and then I analyse results data later. Give it everything; leave your breakfast on the pavement

I use the 3rd generation Garmin soft strap and it works just great. I had loads of problems with the 1st gen strap and gave it away. This one does the job for me.

Emmy - your problem with the GPS this morning has nothing to do with the Garmin. It's the atmospheric conditions of Belgium. Probably lots of little ice crystals in the air which do a lot to deflect the (exceptionally weak) satellite signals. But still, the GPS chipsets were improved after the 305 (the 405 was next) and this did a fair amount to improve signal sensitivity. Also, the 305's Li-On battery will be fairly well used now. Later models have double the battery life. The 310XT shares a similar sized big screen to the 305. And it matches your haircolour.

Second of my three knee injections today. Maybe I'll be a runner again one day.

• Good news! Doc signed me off as fit after a week of monitoring blood pressure.....home readings fell each day so must have been work stress......my resting heart rate averaged at 51 for the week - seems crazy low to me, but probably its just because I'm an athlete image

So we both have our Medical Certs signed, scanned into pdf and put into dropbox so even if the originals go miising I can access online in Paris.

Training plan started on Monday. I looked at P&D then hastily dismissed it as being just for the S&M's image and did a mash up of BUPA and Hals beginner / intermediate. Our first Marathon and just one Half under our belt, both work full time so the idea of weekend long runs suits us. We have been running about 20 per week all year so just going to stretch that out now.

Copy below for anyone interested.......We are booked into GWR 11th Jan so mileage is down that week but the hill should make up for it....

Interested in thoughts of those more experienced in these matters .....

My 5k PB is 23:50, 10k 51:25 and Half 1:57:57.....would be delighted to get round Paris in 4:15.

/members/images/731884/Gallery/Paris_Marathon_Training_Plan.jpg

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tricky - That's a good point. I thought it could have something to do with the fog/weather but it's been the same for a while now. I do like my 305 but the newer models have caught my eyeimage

Ken - well done on getting the sign off! image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky - again, what sense you speak. I'll modify my pyramids to take out the paces and go purely on distance and nausea. 

Ken - you've got similar PBs to me and I did Berlin in 4:18. I'm in the sub 4 or avoid Yer Maj crew for Paris

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    We Wish You A Merry Orbutt wrote (see)

Ken - you've got similar PBs to me and I did Berlin in 4:18. I'm in the sub 4 or avoid Yer Maj crew for Paris

I have the urge to wear that grim reaper outfit nowimage

• Orbutt/TD - pyramid sessions are about running economy and form too - you should be able to complete them all at the same pace without going all arms and legs and hunched over. This link might help and has a pace picker for you too; Pyramids

Staretd P&D last night - feels good to be back at itimage

• I also started P&D last night.  I'm sub 4 to avoid Yer Maj and I'm wondering what pace all the other sub 4 P&Ders do the General Aerobic runs at?  The book says 15-25% slower than MP which would be something like 10:15 -11:00/mile.  Is that right?

• Ken - That plan would get you around, but I'd look at trying to introduce a few longer midweek runs between 9 & 12 miles if you can to replace a few of those 6/7 mile runs.

Also if that Saturday 3 mile run is the Great Winter Run then try and do a longer run midweek.

Personally I'd want to run more 20 mile LSRs than you have scheduled, but I know many disagree with my approach and how valuable they are to someone running at my pace.

• Lawyeraaron - Have you looked at the mcmillan calculator?  http://www.mcmillanrunning.com; My MLR, LSR and GA paces tend to hover around the same areas. If you feel the GA is too slow go for the 15% end, too fast aim for the 25% end.

Ken - +1 for eggynogs comments re more 20+ miles, I would extend your 19 and one other (at least ) out so you hit the last one 3 weeks out and feel confident. 

• Weedy Kings of Orient Are wrote (see)

Hi Cudo

Maus - that's one of the nicest things anyone's said image

RR - spill the beans on the orienteering exploits then...

TD - hope tomorrow goes okay.

Eggy - is it maybe something in the way you sit every day, or the way you drive or something? I used to have bother with a sharp pain around my right shoulder blade. Had it for years and could never get rid of it and couldn't work out what was causing it. Someone casually said to me one day "it's probably because you carry your rucksack over your right shoulder everywhere." Hey presto, problem solved.

KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Thanks for the commiserations, am pretty gutted not to have gone through to the shortlist.

No commiserations from me - I'm chuffed to bits you didn't get through. Now you can come to Pasta Papas and Corcorans image

KS - I'm with Weedy!

Weedy - I speak only the truth.

Eggy - I've been thinking about your groin, in a purely therapeutic sense, and wondered along the lines of Weedy's thoughts: you don't happen to keep your wallet in one of your back pockets and sit on it a lot, do you? This could well de-stabilise your pelvis, with knock on effects, ahem, elsewhere.

• Mennania - the pace calculator on the link provided doesn't say what it is based on, so I would tend to distrust it simply because it isn't transparent with the source assumptions. I always recommend people use the VDOT calculator so they can see the whole range of appropriate pacing in a balanced training programme, backed up by published research.

As it happens, I don't run pyramids much myself but I find they are an easier way into harder running for most people, because they start and finish with easier (i.e. shorter) runs. No one is going to run a 200m interval at the same speed as a 1.6km interval. [I prefer 1-1.6km minimum distances which are tougher physically and mentally and keep the HR in the most stressful zone.]

So I think it is best to ignore pacing and focus on maximum effort - and yes of course - good form, like keeping the core tight and not letting the pelvis wobble about. However, a better place for rehearsing good running form is when doing strides in overall easier runs. I really recommend from time to time, people practise 80-90% effort sprints, paying particular attention to the idea of running with good posture, balance and composure, rather than outright speed, for 100m every 1km in an easy run.

2nd injection done, painless. One to go. Might start running again next week. image