Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Hello everyone.

I'm another bootcamper gone solo (yes, KeyserSuze it would have been nice to have had the call before seeing the list!) - I'll be doing Paris anyway and trying for sub 3:30. I did 3:37:58 in London 2012, but haven't had such a good year since, too much work/sitting in car/at computer blah blah excuses, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Feeling motivated to get back on track and go for it, and happy to have discovered this place exists! 

Joe Spraggins 2 - I usually follow the RW schedule, but found that the 3:30 one ramps up the mileage too quickly and has speed targets that make me a bit depressed, so I have a hybrid 3:30 / 3:45 schedule. Mind you that may be why my PB is a hybrid time too!

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

TD -  image

WWYAMO - Did people change their names last year ? Several people on the other threads have done the same, everyone is very imaginative..... except me image.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - I'm with you on the BIG runs. After running out of quads in my three marathons I'm going to try doing more longer runs this time around and I'm hoping to do possibly 4x 20 and maybe even 1x22.

Thought of being hunted down by YM terrifies me image

PC Christmas - every year, so far. Last year, I was '...and an Orbutt in a pear tree' Cue the DV family and their marvellous video.

Greetings ArrowsLou and Joe Spraggins, pull up a chair we don't bite - ok that's a lie but it's sometimes consensual image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

oooOrbutt! Where is that video? It was great...Do you have a copy and, if so, can you post a link? I've had a look at mine but can't find it. Here, however, to everyone's general embarrassment and amusement here is another.....   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niDuSEN9s-Q   image  I'd almost forgotten Eggy's virtual jumper....

Welcome to the thread, ArrowsLou.

• Options

Joe, i'm a bit of a make it up as i go along-er - or i was, i did paris this year - only my second marathon at the time, having been blaggin it for years over different distances. I would say you can make it up to a point, but you need to make sure - you have "quality sessions" - like the long run for endurance, and the tempo run to get yourself use to the pace, plus i do intervals which help to improve your speed and help you to hold form when you are deep into a marathon, some do that horrible thing which is parkrun that improves your fitness/cardio. The Interval sessions are envasive enough to tick that box for me. Paris14 will be my 5th Marathon so others with more experience may offer better advice. I have made good improvements to my race times so i have something to offer .... but i'm no technician!

Some advice i got here was do at least 5 x 20+mile runs in your training plan - and i swear by that. Another piece of advice i always empart is the mid-long tempo run at marathon pace - use Tricky Dicky's V-doot calculater to calculate that. I do 1 or 2 of those a week - really gets your body used to running that pace over longer distances. 

Your speed and fitness will improve over the course of the training plan so make sure you take in a tune up race about 5-6 weeks out from the big day - that can tell you where you are with your goals and help you set a realisitic target for race day - which you want to be stress free, so you can enjoy the experience of struggling through 26 miles of street pounding .....

• Options

ha ha - i'm still laughing to myself - sub4orDie has been renamed more like "sub4 of get a nasty Serve from Yer_Maj"

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Got it....* and now all the new people will wonder what exactly this thread is about....* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qdOjn1z6g&feature=youtu.be   But 2014 sees us getting to meet the lead singer....  

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - was there another version that had one of the Jedis dancing at the end?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I didn t see that one Maybe they d be too cool for that now, anyway...image
  • Options
    Evening all!

Hope everyone is well. I to don't get the pacing too well I run quite comfortably at 9 min mile pace and feel that when I slow down on easy runs I don't get much from them but my pace for the marathon for the 4 hours should be just above 9 min miles and also don't know how quick to run speed sessions.

Any one got any races next month want to try and get 1 or 2 in next month.

I also changed my name but am not very imaginative so this is all I could think of .

Do a lot of you actually run together during the marathon?
  • Options

Evening all! Hope last years threaders don't mind but I've just been enjoying a sneaky watch of those fab videos! Very much brightened my evening! (Whose lovely choral tones was I just listening to?!). image

Cross training for me today. Well, it was supposed to be but I think the universe is conspiring against me because I missed spinning before work. Missed it again at lunchtime. And have just missed the final class of the day. Still, it does say rest OR cross train so perhaps I will rest, in anticipation of my 9 miles tomorrow (which may all have to be completed before 7am). Oh dear that doesn't sound good...

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Aaron - we don't tend to run the entire marathon together, as some people can run in a crowd but like to run alone - if you get my drift. I ran sections of Berlin with Emmy and Ian Moore - and it was lovely - but we all have slightly different paces and cadences and tend to drift a bit.

Last year a few of the ladies ran Paris together - but that was more of a running party with much hilarity.

Brix - the glorious tones were Mrs DV, otherwise known as Classical Diva - and she'll be running next year image

• Options

Maus - Thank you for thinking of my groin, but no I never keep the wallet in my back pocket. Since Weedy posted his suggestion I've been keeping an eye on how I sit while at work, but I doubt that's the issue.

TD - Hope the injections are giving you the result you want.

Aaron - For speed seesions I just run as hard as I can for the distance. Not remotely scientific, but when I was running well in 2012 I found this method was seeing my times start to get much better over all distances.

Orbutt - I swear by five LSRs at 20 or more. My best marathons have been done off the back of that. I have 3 x 20, 1 x 21 and 1 x 22 planned this time, which is what I did for my PB in Paris 2012.

I ticked off another training run on the road to Paris tonight. Slow again, but I plan on using this month on getting strong and hopefully injury free.

• Options

TD - I guess all guides inc VDOT and all training programmes (Hadd, Daniels,P&D)are one hat fits all and not individual specific so not 100% but that's what I like about running, there's always options to suit you and your lifestyle. Glad the injections are working

Run no 2 d&d. Gentle recovery tomorrow

• Options

Cold, wild night here but I dragged myself out for an interval session. There's something very satisfying about running hard into a gale force wind , straight from the arctic! The forecast for Sunday 's 10 mile race  is for wind and snow. I may have to consider wearing long trousers for the first time this year.

• Options

Horrendous here too Simon. Gales, hail,thunder and lightening.....severe weatrher warning for tomorrow image

• Options

what's the general feeling about the merits of splitting runs over the day (i.e. a 5 miler to and from work)? if run at MP does this count as a tempo run, or as it's 2x shorter won't have the same impact?

fighting off the start of a cold with as much vit c, zinc, echinacea and anything else i can find at the moment image

hope the weather behaves itself in the north

Emmy - I have the 310XT only been using it for 6 months but very happy so far!

• Options

I can imagine that the only way I will fit all my runs in once the mileage increases is by splitting some of them.

More run dates for the calendar: Inskip half marathon 19 January, Stanley Park 10k on 1 March, Sweatshop 10 miles 16 March.

• Options

Hi Lou, hi Joe

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

2nd injection done, painless. One to go. Might start running again next week. image

Good to hear image

Jo - can't help on the splitting runs question, sorry. Hope you stave off the cold tho

• Options

Orbutt - I'm not sure really what to think abut the new 620.   It is almost identical to the 610, except for:

1.) added running metrics - have no idea what to make of those and no-one else does either.  What does foot contact time with the ground mean?  Or vertical oscillation?

2.) removed all the navigation features (no waypoints, or nag back to start) - stupid

3.) WIFI and bluetooth upload - now this is very nice

4.) Satellite positions stored so very fast acquisition times - nice

5.) VO2 max calculator - based on HR response, and actually quite accurate reportedly.  However, if I am to believe mine, I'll be finishing my first beer when Jimbob crosses the finish line!

So, all in all, if your GPS watch is working well, I would not bother to change it.

• Options

HORRENDOUS weather.......up all night with the thunder and lightning plus hail hammering on the windows. Wind gusting at 90mph. No run for me today.......time to go chase up my cousin to get part fitted on treddie. 

• Options

Wrong morning to get up early for a run. After getting blown onto the road I turned around and came home. Will try again after work when hopefully there are no 80mph winds!

• Options

Don't think its supposed to improve here today, already stronger winds than a hour ago Eggy. Its going to be hellish work today. image

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Stay safe, peeps.

• Options

Careful out there folks - sounds nasty up north. Kaz - hope they cancel your round today.

Dannir - what's the battery life like on the 610? As far as I can tell only the 310xt has a battery life of more than 10 hours, but I really don't like the design.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    PC Christmas wrote (see)

TD -  image

WWYAMO - Did people change their names last year ? Several people on the other threads have done the same, everyone is very imaginative..... except me image.

Dont worry... I wasnt very imaginative eitherimage I think Orbutt was orbutt in a pear tree last year.

Away in T Manger wrote (see)

image Got it....* and now all the new people will wonder what exactly this thread is about....* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qdOjn1z6g&feature=youtu.be   But 2014 sees us getting to meet the lead singer....  

oh wow....

We Wish You A Merry Orbutt wrote (see)

Aaron - we don't tend to run the entire marathon together, as some people can run in a crowd but like to run alone - if you get my drift. I ran sections of Berlin with Emmy and Ian Moore - and it was lovely - but we all have slightly different paces and cadences and tend to drift a bit.

Last year a few of the ladies ran Paris together - but that was more of a running party with much hilarity.

Brix - the glorious tones were Mrs DV, otherwise known as Classical Diva - and she'll be running next year image

I really enjoyed running with you Orbutt - you were a calming influence on my rage! It wasnt just the ladies in paris... we had a DV party and then RS and I decided to do Karoake and motivate some of the struggling runners.

Mrs DV/Classical Diva - your voice is OUTSTANDING!

Wrong day to run for me. Icy as fook out there and Boyska wanted to play with the sheep in the next field and was dragged quite a bit image

• Options
    ArrowsLou wrote (see)

Hello everyone.

I'm another bootcamper gone solo (yes, KeyserSuze it would have been nice to have had the call before seeing the list!) - I'll be doing Paris anyway and trying for sub 3:30. I did 3:37:58 in London 2012, but haven't had such a good year since, too much work/sitting in car/at computer blah blah excuses, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Feeling motivated to get back on track and go for it, and happy to have discovered this place exists! 

Joe Spraggins 2 - I usually follow the RW schedule, but found that the 3:30 one ramps up the mileage too quickly and has speed targets that make me a bit depressed, so I have a hybrid 3:30 / 3:45 schedule. Mind you that may be why my PB is a hybrid time too!

Ah, welcome ArrowsLou, nice to see you here! You'll get plenty of motivation here (and a bit of silliness too, especially when TAPER TIME sets in)

Orbutt, I can't watch the videos at work but I was just remembering the beautiful finishing video you amazingly put together last year, and how I sat at my computer and cried with pride for all of us and how amazing it was. Thank you! Might have to watch that again to kickstart the marathon training...

One question - as much as  I love my forum name, I fancy a bit of Christmas spirit. Any suggestions on a festive name change? Might need to change the photo too. Now 26.2's over I don't have to think about branding!

• Options

Prettybad in N Wales presently. 3 mile recovery in the wind felt like I was dragging a fridge at times.

Dannir - thanks for the 620 reveiw - had told the missus to get it for christmas but will prob stick to the 305.  On ebay looking at treadies as an alternative pressie.image

• Options

Thanx RR. 

no danger of running here today Mennania, now flying is a different story.....

And its getting worse. image 

• Options

Hope everyone out in storm central is ok. Apparently we're over 100mph winds now! image

It took me ages to get to work. All trains cancelled, roads flooded, roads closed, bits of trees everywhere and the police diverting pedestrians near buildings where things are getting wind damaged with bits falling off.

Kaz, I would hope your work wouldn't send you out in that. I was fighting not to get blown into the river after parking the car and walking into the office.