Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• TP - I'm staying over the other side of Perth, so heading out towards pitcairn green and beyond tomorrow, while trying not to get lost. On longer LSRs up this way I like the idea of crossing the river past the inch and heading out towards Scone. More so if there are scones waiting for me!

• Evening all. Resting today: had a really enjoyable 10-miler yesterday through central London but achilles started getting a tad painful afterwards, so thought best to rest it up instead of running on it and causing some damage. Suffered a nasty ankle injury playing football two years ago so wear a strap on leg and think I might need to invest in a new, improved one.

By the way, does anybody on here use the RunKeeper app to track their runs? Have been using it for quite a while now – do people think it's generally reliable? Distances seem to line up accurately – though I don't quite hold as much faith in the calorie counter. That run yesterday, at a pace of 5min per km, apparently burned off 1300! If that's the case, I better eat even more or I'll fade away to a matchstick. 

• Hi, I used to find endomondo the most reliable before I got a garmin, or mapmyrun.

I've just put my last few runs (garmin files) onto runningfreeonline.com, it was recommended by Phil Hewitt in "Keep on Running".  He reckons it gives more detail than garmin connect.  I like the look of it initially.  Anyone else use this?

Loved my first parkrun. Time was a bit more than my 5k pb at 26 mins, but there was a hill and it was a 3 lap course.  Can really feel my legs now, glad tomorrow is a rest day. I put in 11 miles all together, not quite the 12 called for by P & D, but I'm a mile over my weekly target.  I took the train to Preston for the parkrun and it was great to have somewhere completely new, alongside the river.  I'll be back.  Everyone was jolly lovely.

Hope everyone is having a great weekendimage

• Walker in a winter wonderland wrote (see)
    Yes come to hampsted Heath park run . All welcome
    Come see

the legend that is Jim Bob go all the way

See how a Running Reindeer looks in the morning

See a Walker in his winter land actually attempt to run

Find out what a Reindeer Salad is

And the good doctor will be along at the back picking up pre Christmas casualties !!

Any peeps on here London based come and meet us and do Hampstead Parkrun. It's got 2 steep hills and its "puffy" but a lil crew are getting together. "The Stool will guide us" (pm me and i'll give you info) - Carl D if you are out there in Electronicville, i'll be texting you to join us - hope you can make it

Re gps tech for training i use the garmin, the data is also loaded into endomondo as well as garminconnect, as i used to use endomondo before i got the 110.  It's quite good these days. I reccommend both.

• well aren't we all getting festive! 

Ive got a sore heel, fancy trying a long range diagnosis?

Doesnt hurt underneath on the sole but is sore to walk on and hurts if I poke along the inside edge of my heel/ foot. Painful area is smaller than a 50p piece. No pain at all at back of heel. 

GP says I must have trodden on something and it's a bruise that's just hurting a bit higher up. Prescribed mildish anti inflammatories and said , run when it's better, if I'm a good girl or if I'm a typical runner, run now and take longer to heal!!!! He's a runner!

On a lighter note, I've just been out with a friend to do her first ever run. She's where I was back in April. Day one of C25k. What an amazing feeling to run beside her as she starts the journey and also to realise how far I've come! Left me smiling for hours. 

• Charlie4 - my immediate thought was plantar fasciitis but if the doc's a runner he's presumably ruled that out and also if it's not hurting on the sole that doesn't sound quite right. Did it happen suddenly, or has it been building up for a while? You could try applying ice (or a bag of frozen peas) and see what happens.

Porridging up for a 10 miler this morning. Longest run since Beachy Head. Let's see what happens.

• Charlie- I suffer from some strange foot pains in the heel area. Thankfully they are just niggles (at the moment) so I have chosen just to ignore them. Probably regret that at some point.

Techy wise I use Garmin Connect but my old laptop is struggling to cope with it. Apologies if anyone has left comments as I can't access them. Order has been placed with Santa for a shiny new laptop. I just need to be a good boy for the next 16 days.

Off to Lossiemouth for the 'Turkey Trot'. A nice 10 miler to finish the year. Weather is 'dreich' - wet, grey and windy. But at least it's not cold.

• Good morning from Brussels. The Maus is taking me out for my first run in a month, a nice gentle outing in the forest. This afternoon we are going to watch a cyclocross race nearby - elite cyclists going up mad hills on grass and mud like loonies, with thousands of people watching and broadcast live on TV. Love this country. Love my Maus.  It's a bit soppy, but thanks to people from this forum who've supported us this last 6months or so. It's meant a great deal to us both.

• I download runs onto Garmin Connect but also the GoodRunGuide, which I pay £10 a year for. Its got a lovely little feature where you can either map or download a route and then watch a little person run it on screen in 3D. If I've done a hilly run this is oddly satisfying to watch whilst stretching in front of the computer. Its a little painless reward.

Week one of P&D done and dusted. I'm following it faithfully for the first three weeks then having a recovery week over Christmas then reviewing where things are at.

• Ahhhhh... nice when people are happyimage

• Good morning people. Done a nice 10 miles today in 1:30:30 which I'm quite pleased with was quite tired at the end.

TD - good luck with the run enjoy it. Did you and maus meet from here?

Good luck everyone if your running today if your not enjoy an off day.

I'm off shopping for Xmas pressies for my 7 month old daughter first Xmas very excited then off to the pub to watch the mighty arsenal ooo to be ooo to be ooo to be a gooner!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning, all. Wet, grey and windy here, too...I've lost the top layer of skin from my face. Again.

On the plus side...Everyone seems to have survived the first week of various 18-week plans and the injury bench is pretty empty image I missed one run and cut another short but it's a start..Many thanks , again, to yer_maj ...who persuaded a bunch of us to exclude added sugar from or diet.  We're feeling good. And unbearably smug. Let's see if it lasts and translates into..er...speed and/or better endurance.( All bets are off over Christmas, I assume? )

Aaron, you're in for a treat. Say goodbye to any idea that the baubles will remain on the tree...anyone's tree.

Anyone got plans for a Christmas morning run? I can't get to the local parkrun, which is always on, but will run my own 10k early in the morning. With lots of luck, my running-buddy will be out of plaster and we will don our Santa hats and give flocks of sheep something to look at..

Meantime, another new photo  https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5940991828462572481?banner=pwa   If you'd like me to add yours, please send me a jpeg with a note of your forum ID, your time goal and any last words...Running photos are best since we're going to have to recognise each other in shorts 'n' vests...

• I hope Maus didn't push you too hard TD. Great news that you are back running again. And glad that you are both so happy.

Talking of happy, I knocked 16 seconds off my 10 mile PB, finishing in 71:32. Very, very pleased with that. There is definitely something to be said for the no sugar diet. Although I did treat myself to some post race cake.. 

• A Christmas morning run would be amazing, but don't think my children would forgive me.  The Boxing Day 10k race will do nicely.

22 June, Freckleton half, one for the calendar.

• 20km done. Slow but DONE!

Advice please: I'm thinking of taking my nephew out on Christmas day (after presents of course). He's 9 and has been running home from various sports that he does (with dad following in the car behind, narf). What distances can/should kids do at that age? Wanna give him a good challenge (so i can sprint home and 'win'image ) but don't want to damage him. 10km? Or could he manage 15km? 

• Naomi did a quarter marathon when she was 9 RS, so 10k should be ok. Not sure about stretching to 15km unless he's been doing distances near that already? 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Aaron - Tricky and Maus did meet on here and theirs is a story that brings great smiles and warm and fuzzies to everyone who is lucky enough to know them. 

ATM - I see that the latest photo is of that famous one legged runner with his guide dog image

RS - 10k is a nice distance, not too long but short enough to not spoil Xmas.

I'll be running Xmas day - just an hour while Mrs O is putting in a good word with her omnipotent pal. I love that, all of the roads are quiet and anyone you see will say hello. 

Today was a lovely day to run. Blue skies, sun, cool but not cold. Didn't feel brilliant to start off but soon settled into a nice pace. 29k and I could have carried on - so much that I forgot to stop my watch. Honest, it didn't really take me 3:59 !

• okay, 10 kms it is.  My dad's making noises about coming too but he wouldn't make 5km so might have to go for a few slow kms around the block, drop of grandpa and then take the boy out for a burn.image This will be the last time ever that I can possibly push him a bit.  Next time he'll be kicking my bottom!!

• Glad to hear everyone has completed their P&D long runs.  Unfortunately, I haven't yet.  It's just below freezing and the roads are covered in snow/ice.  Lots of nearby areas have had power outages.  Might have to drive to an indoor track about 45 mins away, but I would really rather not.  Very frustrating to be in the mood to run, but having to wait around hoping the temperature increases enough to melt the snow.

Oh, well, it's not like I have anything to do today except watch football.

• Obviously not a regular on here but love the forum names image

Especially ^

• OK, LawyerAaron wins the Christmas name prize image.

And the other Aaron - what fun to have a baby at Christmas. You can dress her up as a reindeer or something equally amusing and she'll be too small to object image. It's probably just as well I don't have kids. image

Well done McPerky - good effort! And to TD for getting out there again. We don't have to tell you to take it easy, do we?

10 mile turned into an 11 today (got a bit lost) and now I feel absolutely knackered. Time for a day off, I think.

• Well done Simon!  Great way to finish the racing year out.

Radar - 10k would be about perfect at that age - long enough the make it real but not too long to turn him off

Did my 14 miles today cutback, one last long one next weekend then its taper time image

• Well done on the 10M PB Simon Mac!

Well done to everyone else on their LSRs too. I went out for an intended 8-10 but ended up walking after 3. Combination of really busy weekend, got back from London at midnight yesterday and was up before 8am and Mr KS's been suffering a cold which I think I've probably got too. Boo. Managed nearly 6M though, then a bit of festive house dressing and Miracle on 34th Street (the nineties version).

I'm off to parkrun on Christmas day, hoorah! Might wear reindeer antlers too, although they play havoc with my aerodynamics.

• MacPerky I said you could have a RICE cake...tsk....

Lawyeraaron - great name but could you not have managed the Cheap slut on junk line?

My hamstrings are feeling very dodgy.  Mr Maj has massaged them but they still feel shonky.  I've got a niggle on the inside of my right knee and can I find the root cause?  No I cannot... image

• Well done Simon image

TD - good news. Hope tomorrow goes okay

• Looking good ATM though I'm sure there are much more than 15 of us

• Well done Simon on the PB!

Lovely 12 miles for me today. Feels good to be back in training. Booked Eurostar tickets this morning too, anyone else booked theirs? Just need to get that medical certificate sorted now...

• Yer maj-- thanks, I wanted to include that line but the name was pretty long already.

• Yer_maj. It WAS a rice cake. Obviously. What do you take me for?

Some very festive names appearing. Makes me feel all Christmassy.