Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Yeah, Malcs!

And commiserations to those who didn't get through. I hope at least some of you come anyway...We'll all learn lots from Malcs' training.

Stuart, I think a couple of runners from the thread will be at the Inverness Half. And another at the Meadows, in Edinburgh, at the beginning of March. Actually, has anyone done the Meadows Half, before? Is it just round and round the Meadows? image

• Options

ATM - I've never done the Meadows half, as from what I read on it it is just several laps of the Meadows. Not my idea of fun that one.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Aaron - what part of the country are you in (sorry - i forgot if you've already mentioned it). Great warm up half mara's include: Fleet, Wokingham, Silverstone. There will be a posse from here going to Silverstone if you fancy some company.

What i've done before is run the half marathon and then either add miles before as a warm up or add miles after as a faster end of the run.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

That's what I feared, Eggy.I'd rather do the, later, Loch Katrine....for the view..

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Morning all!

Sorry I haven't been here for a while. I went AWOL after the summer. Things got crazy at work, moved house in October (ultra stressful - should have been September). Could only keep up with one thread.

Just as things settled I found out I was back in the 262 comp again. Couldn't bring myself to make an appearance in case it was viewed as trying to grab votes (by others not you lot, I know you would never think that).

Now it's all over I feel free from scrutiny and can return. However, this time something's different of course, this time I am actually going to Paris - woo hoo! image

Thank you so much to those who voted. I know PC was out drumming up support and I'm really grateful for that. Thanks also for the messages of support on my thread and elsewhere, that means alot.

For the past week I have been mostly a 6 or 7 on the infamous stool chart. It has been soooo much more stressful than last year with these vote counters. I hope they change that next year. 

I see that you've already recruited some more troops from the process. Sticky and ArrowsLou I met at bootcamp as they were in my group and are just lovely people.

And at bootcamp I also got to meet the wonderful KS. Really gutted you didn't make it all the way, it would have been great to have you in the final 5. Do apply next year as that's the 3rd year running a second time bootcamper has made the final! Although if they don't change the voting make sure your mental health is tip top or you'll have a nervous breakdown!

Please forgive me not reading back. I think it would take forever given the speed this thread moves at and I'm already 4 days behind on work mattersimage

What did I miss over the last 3 months? Is it possible to get a quick summary? image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Short Version :I've sent your bank details to Corcoran's. We're gonna celebrate your success, bigtime image

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

ATM - lol image  and I thought I'd only be setting up one new mortgage this yearimage

• Options

Yey drinks on Malcs, well done fella, hope you smash it!

• Options

Congratulations Malcs!

ATM I've done the meadows half and it was 7 laps if I remember correctly! They run a full marathon at the same time - I think the tedium would end you. What I liked about it was that it was run by students and was really friendly. What I didn't like about it was that it was run by students and the organisation was a bit....haphazard! The half was also about half a mile short. I was doing it as a training run and tagged a couple of miles on to the start and the finish but I might have been a bit shewee-ed off if I'd been aiming for a PB then found that out.

You'll all be devastated to know that not only is it too windy to surf today but its also cloudy. I did my long run yesterday along the shore front watching the sea throw the most spectacular tantrum then went up into the hills and landed on mars. It was spectacular but I managed to sprain the ligaments on the top of my right foot, it's bruised and swollen at any rate. All in all today is a day for reading as many books as possible and going nowhere.

• Options
    Malcs wrote (see)

ATM - lol image  and I thought I'd only be setting up one new mortgage this yearimage

You're going to need more than a mortgage for this one, sweetheart...

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    We Three Queens wrote (see)
    Malcs wrote (see)

I thought I was a cheap dateimage

• Options

Who do we send photos too?  I have one (and only one) pic of me running where I don't look like Im about to die.

• Options

11 mile long slow run in the fog this morning.  I was taking the advice and keeping the pace right down.  I also wore a heart monitor for only the second time.  The trouble is I don't know what it means.  Anyway, might have to have a rethink on clothing.  Went for the Tshirt, leggings, woolly hat and compression socks.  It's the first time I've worn the socks and they were pretty good.  My arms were like solid blocks of ice so maybe go to long sleeve top and lose the hat.  I get so hot so quick usually. 

So much to learn.  I prostrate myself at the feet of the masters - I am not worthy! Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for re heart rate?

• Options

Totally not a master of anything but using your heart rate to train means that your body is working at the right rate for it rather than at an arbitrary pace imposed on it. Different training sessions should be run at different percentages of maximum heart rate in order to see maximum benefit. For example a recovery run might be at 60% of your maximum while a 5k race will be more like 90-95%. There are rules of thumb to allow you calculate your max heart rate but these are fairly rough and it's simple enough (but not easy!) to calculate it more accurately. Google a maximum heart rate test or someone else here might post a link to wine they've used before.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think TD is the heart rate king.

Leggy - I find layers help. I normally wear one long sleeve, one short sleeve and some gloves and a buff and am normally very toasty. If I need to  - i'll remove the gloves to cool myself down.

• Options

Weedy - Watford half on 2nd of feb please. 

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Jimbob!

We Three Queens wrote (see)
    Malcs wrote (see)

Ha ha image  

Emmy - cheap sounds good to me! I'll just get them to fill a bath with the thread favourite tipple and pass round the strawsimage

• Options
    Emmy - I'm from Watford just north of London I was going to do silverstone but it's full now so will probably do Eastbourne.

Reindeer salad - is there a half in Watford I would like to do this one I live there and don't even know haha.
  • Options

I'm doing the Stanford Hall half on 23 March.  Not brilliant timing but it was supposed to be in March this year and got cancelled because of the snow.  I am running it for Sue Ryder care as we had a much loved relative suffering from Huntingdon's Disease in a Sue Ryder home in Yorkshire.  Sadly he passed away in November and I really want to do this run even more now.  It should be OK as long as I treat it as a training run, shouldn't it?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Leggy - that half should be fine as long as you dont push the pace. I would normally run 18km two weeks before a marathon so thats only 3k more.

• Options

Leggy - That should be fine. I tend to run 14 miles 2 weeks out from a marathon as my LSR that week. Just take it easy in terms of pacing yourself.

• Options

Malcs, congrats, hope you can now relax a bit and get on with life and training.

Another suggested pee place is the McDonald's on the Champs, that's where I've been going the last few years.  I too tried the she wee at a festival but doesn't do it for me either.  Would rather squat behind a bush.  ATM and I have done this on the Champ de Mars and at Vincennes.  There will be pee plaques all over Paris shortly.

Greetings Stuart, sheepshaggers unite  image   Another Dons fan here, who actually went to Gothenburg.  One of the best nights of my life.  Which says a lot about my romantic life.  Or rather lack of it.

Being on the injury bench sucks.  To add to my woes I have spent the morning throwing up and now there is a train strike in Paris starting tomorrow until Friday morning.  Alarm will have to be reset for 04h45 on Friday.  ATM, sent you a link with predicted train times for tomorrow.  Check it out so you don't get any mauvaises surprises.  Bon voyage and see you in the café at silly hour.  Flag all ready.

PC, we need to fix up a meeting point for Sunday's race.  If I can't run I'll cheer you on.

• Options

Hey guys,

Emmy, Jimbob and Reindeer Salad - Thanks for the advice about the park runs, there's a 5km one every saturday in Aberdeen, so that should be perfect to try. Also the Inverness Half,  looks ideal, thanks for letting me know. How many 'races' would you advise prior to marathon.

Benn trying to keep u[p a nutrition plan of, 2700 calories, of roughly 300 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein and 75 grams of fat. Been having a lucozade dual carb drink when running, but think be best to start trying out gel's out now due t the ease of carrying them and having water all along the race. Generally have bout 30grams dietary  fibre a day, and a small sandwich about an hour or so before running. A lot of tortilla wraps and pasta, and porridge to start off the day. Shall inspect my poo more thoroughly next time i do a LSR, what should i be looking for?

Running Reindeer and Eggynog - The plan im on only incorporates three 20 milers, would you suggest one or two upwards to this mileage. That's a good aim for me though for the 11 week mark.

TinselPlum - The Sheep are taking over..

• Options

Aaron - it's in the rw events.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Lawyeraaron, jpeg to me, please, with a note of your number, your goal and any last words of wisdom you'd like added...image

Thanks, Tartan'. Only 1 in 4 trains running from the airport, apparently.I'll take the bus.I hope your leg is better...image

• Options

TP - that sounds a bit miserable. Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Stuart - yes, just gradually increase up to your 20 milers. No sudden increases in mileage, either for individual runs or weekly mileage. Says the woman who's planning to go from 16 to 34 miles for her long runs in January image.

• Options

My goodness things move here quickly! For what it is worth, I follow the RW schedule, but I modified the sub 3:30 one to a hybrid of that and the sub 3:45 (even though aiming for sub 3:30) as I found the latter ramped up the long runs mileage too quickly and the speed work times made me feel a bit depressed (I know it's either/or distance/time, but it's not really!).

I will do 3 x 18/19 miles, 1 x 20, 1 x 22 and 1 x 24. I like to do a 24 for the psychological edge, although it may not be in the official schedule. Of these, I'm doing the Spitfire 20 plus a bit and would really love to do the Oakley 20 in Beds but it is only 2 weeks before Paris when the schedule says 18 and I usually do less, so I'll see how I feel. In any case I would treat them as training runs not races (as I regretted my 3.5 min PB in Oakley when I came to do London last year).  I'm also doing two half marathons (Watford Half and Silverstone), which I will race, two cross country races and some parkruns which, depending on what speed or threshold sessions I've done that week, I may incorporate into a longer run or race.

In the past I have also done the Wymondham 20 which I love, but it clashes with Silverstone, so I've opted to stick with the half. I can thoroughly recommend the Gade Valley training runs (12, 17 and 21 miles) which start in Hemel Hempstead and go through the Ashridge Estate for those in the area.

• Options
    Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)

Also I think this was learnt in Amsterdam by a certain member of the thread... watch where you're peeing... and dont pee against a poor girl's leg.

It was near her leg, not against her leg. I was a good six inches away image

Congrats Auntie Suze image

And congrats Malcs image

PC Christmas wrote (see)

No one expects The Caledonian Massive ! Who's two chief weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency. image

That's four things image

helterskelter wrote (see)

someone else here might post a link to wine they've used before.

http://www.buckfast.org.uk/tonic-wine_105.html image

Injury sucks tho HS image

• Options

In other news, my Garmin reckoned I ran from Milton Keynes to north Germany today...

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Garmin.jpg

If you zoom in, I apparently ended up near a place called Bullwinkel.
    Mile three took me 596 hours, 31 minutes and 23.6 seconds, but the overall time taken was 4 hours 36 minutes.
    I either need a new Garmin, or I need to apply for a job as Santa's little helper.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Now that's what I call a long slow run