Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• thats just showing off weedy

malcs - congratulations on the 26.2 ,, we will be expecting regular updates and advice when required

and welcome to the newbies

12 miles tonight , was feeling a bit cba beforehand but forced myself out, sometimes these runs surprise me how easy they are , tonight was a nice marathon pace run ,, no sweat ,, no strain and 8;20 average ,, why cant all runs be easy ?

• Weedy Kings of Orient Are wrote (see)
    Emmy Ho Ho Ho wrote (see)

Also I think this was learnt in Amsterdam by a certain member of the thread... watch where you're peeing... and dont pee against a poor girl's leg.

It was near her leg, not against her leg. I was a good six inches away image

Splashback weedy!!!  SPLASHBACK!

• Wiaww - 12 miles mid week? Ufff - I am so far away from proper distance training at the moment, it's quite scary.

Weedy - maybe your Garmin is pining to go off and run across Europe? Again?

• LeggyMountbatten - if you send me your email address in a PM, I can send you a little powerpoint I made last year about running training and it does give some explanation of different heart rates and how you can use them efficiently.

• No splashback RS. It was on the grass in the middle of the Olympic stadium image

Running Reindeer wrote (see)

Weedy - maybe your Garmin is pining to go off and run across Europe? Again?

1,250km in half a day? Where do I sign up? Another acronym for the new folks - ITLR - In The Long Run. An eight-day run from Bratislava to Brussels this summer to raise money for human trafficking victims. Organised by TD and joined by a load of us from here.

• Evening all no running for me tonight as my partner forgot I was suppose to run and went shopping while I was on my way home and leave my daughter with her aunty so I would pick her up then I had to watch footie never mind rest will do me good.

Weedy - wow that's an incredible run the joys of technology ay. And also that run from Bratislava sounds interesting isit still open for people to join? or TD can you let me know about it
  • Leggy - I'm signed up for the Garioch half on the 23rd too, I was planning on pacing rather than racing!

Weedy - on that note could you add me in for the GNW Half (Blackpool) on 23rd Feb and Garioch Half on 23rd March

Stuart - Aberdeen parkrun is great, a very flat speedy course (assuming no wind!), there's also a XC series over winter of 6 milers in Aberdeenshire

• Nice 10 miles today - a bit of speed work thrown in.

Closing in on my yearly target mileage

• I hit 2000 kms for the year yesterday - I missed it last year due to injury.  I've got a few niggles, bit of a shin splint, hamstrings feel permanently dodgy no matter how much ORODing and stretching I do image  Massage later and osteopath next week might be a good idea. 

Could do withoutb having been awake since 3.45 am too...grump grump

• Shorts and t-shirts at 6am this morning and I was still sweating. Very wierd weather.

Jingle Jo - I did the Garioch half last year as a training run. Really enjoyed it. Despite the hills, and the wind and the snow....

WTQ - your mileage is twice what I have achieved. Well done!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jingle Jo - I'm doing the GNW half too. We will have the Liver Stool flag with us if you fancy a 'group' photo before the start?

WTQ - 2000k! Well done you. I'm at 1700k for the year so far - and I'm chuffed with that.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Simon MacSanta wrote (see)

Shorts and t-shirts at 6am this morning and I was still sweating. Very wierd weather.

Jingle Jo - I did the Garioch half last year as a training run. Really enjoyed it. Despite the hills, and the wind and the snow....

WTQ - your mileage is twice what I have achieved. Well done!

Come over to Belgium. It's freezing this morning. -4 during my run and its just hovering around freezing now.

WTQ - well done!! image Thats a great amount. I must admit - i dont track my mileage.

• MacPerks - it may very well be, but I don't ponce around in a wetsuit for half of the year either.  Or run GFA times..

• WTQ - last year: 2 marathons, 1 x 30 mile ultra, one run across Scotland. This year: 3 marathons, 1 x 35 mile ultra, one run across Europe. But my total mileage is going to be about 100 miles short of what I did last year, which is a bit disappointing - and worrying, given what I'm planning next year. But heigh ho, what could possibly go wrong image?

• Absolutely nothing.  Trust me.

• Aaron - sadly not, it was earlier this year. Great fun, altho it was in the middle of a heatwave, which was quite interesting.

• WTQ - Well done, much like Simon that must be double what I've done this year. My mileage is well down on last year. I did 2500km last year before Chicago. Next to nothing after that though due to injury.

TP - Hope you're feeling better soon.

HS - Hope your injury clears up quickly.

Simon - I can't judge the weather at all these days. Last week I struggled to get to work because of a storm. Then I went running that same night in a lovely calm night with snow on the ground. Last night I was out running in shorts and t-shirt as it was so warm!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Heatwave? Was that a heatwave? I thought it was just a good way for us to top up our tansimage

• Aaron The red nose runner wrote (see)

Weedy - wow that's an incredible run the joys of technology ay. And also that run from Bratislava sounds interesting isit still open for people to join? or TD can you let me know about it

Sorry Aaron - ITLR is definitely a job done now. Maybe there will be an ITLR2014 but I won't be organising it - of course, if something does kick-off then I will be happy to let people know about it. I just won't be personally doing the planning & execution. After this year, I need a proper holiday of my own in 2014

I think my peak annual mileage was just under 4,000kms. This year I have managed to turn out something like 1.350kms. I just can't tell at the moment whether I will be pleased with hitting such distances in the future, or if this is just a prolonged dip before I return to my best.

What I can invite people to do, is say what their favourite runs have been this year and why. A good chance to look back. For me, there is no doubt that there was one run on ITLR that was very special. I think it was our last day in the Czech Republic and we had to run over a mountain. We had various different groups running at different times - a small group of faster runners who went over the summit and then almost the entire group running together on the downhill into a really secluded valley. There was lots of laughing and joking going on, a brilliant atmosphere amongst the team as we proceeded in single file. A lifetime memory, deep happiness and contentment. These moments don't happen often  but when they do, they breathe life into you.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tinsel Decorations wrote (see)

What I can invite people to do, is say what their favourite runs have been this year and why.

What a nice idea TD.

It's hard for me to pin just one run for me... can i have a few?image

• Paris Marathon. Before running this race I was a little unsure about how i'd handle running with such a large group of runners. As it turned out - I had the best time. Everything about the day made it such a special memory for me.
    • Richmond Park Marathon. Considering how much i hated the first 11 miles - this might come as a surprise. At 11 miles I met up with RR and she joined me for a lap and really boosted my spirits and gave me the energy to continue. Coming up to the next loop and seeing jimbob and his beautiful daughter running beside me almost made me cry. Then having the last lap with RS reminding me how I was about to chick all of these runners just made me laugh. At the end seeing everyone and Suzy was just the icing on the cake. This marathon I dedicated to this thread and the special people that got me through. I could never have done it without you and the energy, love and laughs that you gave me along the way.
    • It was a few weeks ago at 4am in the morning. I was running my normal route with Boyska and suddenly this eery calm came over me whilst i was running. The sky was clear, the stars were shining so bright they were almost lighting the way and and all you could hear was the rustle of the grass as Boyska ran along and then the sound of my feet on the ground. It was one of those moments that made you happy to run.

This year has been so amazing and so special and I'm so glad that i've got to share it with you all.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Many thanks for all the good wishes!

TP - yes, definitely time to relax now. That voting process was so hard this year and incredibly stressful. The vote counters were up and down like yo-yos.

Walker in a WW - I have my own thread in the Spring Marathon section so there will be regular updates there. But of course I will be back and forth here too image

As you might expect, I have a number of obligations to fulfil as part of this. The first being that I have to change my profile pic to match the one for the competition. The orange will return once Paris is over.

KS - missed that there had been a new arrival, many congrats! Is this your first niece/nephew? 

Best race this year: Great Welsh Marathon - finally getting a marathon campaign right for a change! I'd been stuck on 3:59 for 4 attempts and I left that in the dust.

Running up the hill before the finish I had jenf running alongside me. I'd met her at bootcamp last year and kept in touch via the forums. Her support was immense. Crossing the line was pure bliss and I will confess to shedding a tear or two.

For anyone new - this was all down to finding these forums and getting some amazing help and encouragement from an outstanding group of people.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Danirr - I saw a post on FB and wanted to ask you. You reckon that the 220 is better than the 620? can you give a comparison? Am looking to upgrade my 305 at some point and doing some research but would love to hear your review.

Malcs - I'll be following your thread and really hope that it goes well (especially shopping on saturdayimage). One thing to be aware of - be careful about changing brands of shoes or do it gradually. A few people have had injuries caused by changing their shoe to the asics brand.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - don't you run with your Garmin? The reports on Garmin Connect will tell you your mileage (kilometerage?) over given time spans - yours will be immense.

Best race this year? Paris, hands down - because of you lot.

Best run? San Francisco. Mrs O hired a bike at the Embarcadero and we ran across the Golden Gate bridge and back. Laughing, stopping to take pictures and admiring views. Round trip was about 15 miles but it didn't feel like it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - For some reason Garmin connect does work for me. I've never been able to get it to work image I have the garmin training centre and do track it with that.... I also love your run with Mrs. O. Sounds like a great day.

How is she getting on with her cold hands on the bike?

• Morning people! Just ran 10k in 50:05 a 3:48 min pb for me which I'm very pleased about but gutted to miss out going under 50 but the last mile was uphill.

TD - ahh that's a shame maybe if something does get organised in the future I will go it sounds amazing.

My best runs would be the royal parks half marathon even though I had to walk/run the last few miles coz I pulled my groin the atmosphere was great and when people shout your name the extra surge you get is incredible.

Also today's 10k would be one of my favourite runs because I really pushed it and didn't give up if I look back to July when I started running I couldn't do 5k in 30 mins so it shows me how far I've come and how far I can go.

Can't wait for Paris now hopefully will get to run abit with you lot but I get to run with my twin bro aswell which I'm sure will b great.
  • I love running with others - the camaraderie is great and I always push myself to go faster in company. However, my best runs have been alone. I don't want this to sound over-dramatic and confessional but I took up running as a way of stabilising my mood and stress levels when my son developed severe depression and dropped out of school. At the time I needed something positive and something for me when life was 90% about trying to sort him out. Running did the trick for me. Incidentally my son, who now has an Asperger's diagnosis, has become a stable, weirdly intelligent and wonderful individual. Anyway, my best runs have been the long ones this summer, early in the morning, cross-country, over hills, always with the possibility of getting lost. Life if OK again and there is no better way of taking that in then running up a giant hill and taking in the view from the top. I feel strong and serene, and then I run back home to my people. Its the best feeling ever.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

BM - there's nothing overdramatic about it. On the forum there is a thread for those who have/had depression/stress and how running has helped them. One of the reasons I started running was to relieve stress from work and some personal issues that i had at the time and i continued. It's been such a part of my life and I do think that it saved me (how's that for overdramatic?).

Aaron - well done on the run. As you say - looking back and seeing the achievement is a great motivator in itself!

• Morning, 9 miles this morning with a school play thrown in. 4 miles to the school to watch my daughter's year's rendition of the story of the birth of Christ, followed by 5 to the office. All at a reasonable pace.

Favorite run - got to be the Great North Run. The half marathon is my speciality and this was just a great day. The run was a flyer - starting in the fast pen 15 feet behind Mo, Haile and bekele - if that didn't gee me up nothing would. Brought it home in a puffy powerful 1.25 (my pb)  and headed straight to the VIP enclosure for free booze, 3 course lunch and photos with "celebs". Honorable mention must go to my very recent marathon PB in Valencia which was perfect conditions, metronomic execution and pain free - it was the icing on the cake of an incredible year of running for me. Paris was also amazing and i had countless wonderful long training runs on crisp sunny early mornings ....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1264949_10151573500165882_1609346725_o.jpg

• It is a while since I did it, but my favourite run also has to be the Great North Run - the atmosphere was amazing and it was nostalgic to return to where I grew up. Best run this year was the Boston Marathon, despite the way it ended (and fortunately my husband and I were over the line beforehand), I'd been injured in training, so went to enjoy it and not zone out for once. It was emotional from the start and the cheer as I crawled to the top of Heartbreak Hill, and the cajoling to run faster on the other side, made me laugh out loud. The Thunder Run was another memorable event - I went thinking I would tick the box and try and enjoy it (I am not a great fan of mud and hills and am definitely not a lark) and was completely blown away by the experience, even glad I ran at 2am in the rain and mud up to my calves (once it ended!) - back next year in a team of 5 with spikes just in case.

My everyday best run is down a disused railway line from my house, through the Childwickbury Estate where the mist/frost/early sun casts a glow on the fields. Or continuing all the way to Watford along the canal. It is hard to believe I live only 27 miles from London.

• Boston baby ...... image