Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• You have just added to my shame Andy....

Very impressive mileage.

• I'm sitting at 1527 miles now, with 58 scheduled before the year is over.  Cool, and about 70 more than last year.

• It'll just be one mile more than last year for me Dannirr, and guess what the plan is for next year image

• The loft apartment weve booked is right near the Metro Sentier stop.   Does anyone know if this is a good location?   Just about to head to bed so I can all sprightly for my 13km run tomorrow image.   

Good to read it's not going to be all running talk over the next 3 months!! I will no doubt bombard you all with travel questions about Europe since we haven't been there for a long time and it'll be very different travelling with 3 x kids.image

• Wild and windy out there but that's 15 miles in the bag. Now for some food.

• We Wish You A Merry Orbutt wrote (see)

Whilst I would be first to admit that I am something of a sex object, I am not getting my baps out for the boys image

Photoshop crowdsourcing fund is now open for business. The magic number is £1,000 image 

• 10km for me, even with a serious case of CBA. The weather was vile this morning, but then the sun broke through for a bit, so I figured I didn't have any excuse anymore. How I'm going to do 16km tomorrow is beyond me.

Now back at work...image I have so much work to do, I have no idea how I'm going to be able to go on leave on Monday.

Rach - Sentier is pretty well located. To get to the start line, you'll either need to change Villier, or you can walk to Les Halles and catch a direct A train. You can plan how to get around at http://www.ratp.fr/. This is in the 2nd arrondissement, near the Opera and the Stock Exchange but our resident Paris, er, residents, will undoubtedly be along shortly to extoll its virtues.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

For £1000, you could get the real thing. I may have morals but money is money image

• So, the result of 5 weeks 5k-specific training is....a parkrun time of 10s slower than 5 weeks ago image. And I was beaten by an under 14. image My only consolation is that it was a different course, but it was still pretty flat so that's not much of an excuse. Back to Edinburgh for the Christmas Day one - if I can't do a PB I'm eating nothing but sprouts for dinner as a punishment image.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I love sprouts...image Still, it means that a Boxing Day attempt will be wind-assisted and probably your best bet...

• RR nothing but sprouts for dinner on Xmas could also be classified as a punishment for anybody your seeing the during the festive period
  • 16 miles with 10 @ MP for me this morning....didn't feel too bad although I did have a couple of drinks/gel stops...

• No miles for me today image

Swimming session yesterday followed by half hour dreadmill run then some strength training in the gym ,, and no pains today image

Volunteer duties at my local park run today instead ! Cold wet and windy morning , but I got to stand and cheer people on , good morning all round
  • I wonder if santa uses sprouts to make his reindeer fly?

• 21 miles done this morning in the rain - but its the last long one in the bag before Disney, so now the taper begins image

• The Garmin stuff is again interesting.  When I run with a 910XT and BRF runs with her 210, we are about 0.3 miles different over 2 miles.   Today I used a 620 and she the 220 (which have identical gps chips and algorithms), and over 21 miles we were again 0.3 miles out.    

• It's because you're running at altitude.

• Reindeer Salad wrote (see)

I wonder if santa uses sprouts to make his reindeer fly?

Wind powered ....

• You are all inspiring me with your long runs! I did 13km this morning and had to stop once for gel and water (as it took me 1 1/2 hours all up, and i am practicing with gels).  I was buggered at the end but I did it. The furthest I have run in the last year is 10km, so i am happy. image   Now to keep pushing it as per my program and upping the long runs. image   I really shouldn't complain about the weather here when you are all   suffering with cold winters... at least here it's hot - just too humid!  

I'm taking my three little ones to the pool this morning so I can rest my weary legs and they can do crazy things that they like to do (like backflips off the diving board).. oh to be 7 or 8 again!  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just back from a quiz and we came 19th... the team that came first had a professional quizer on the team. Made me quite jealous how much random knowledge there is. 

RS - you will be pleased to know that Carly rae has made it to Belgium.

10km for me today asI'm planning on a longer run with boyska tomorrow hopefully.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done Rach on the LSR!! All the distance counts!

• RachMinAus - sounds lovely!  I am interested int he derivation of your screen name.  I have a theory....

• I will explain lol it is Rach because of course my first name.  M is the first initial of my last name, and then in Aus due to being in Australia!  Boring indeed!

What is your theory??  I hope it's something good!!

• Oh, not quite my theory but excellent none the less image  My theory was a bit more "out there".   I knew the Aus part was Australia.  And I figured the Rach was probably from Rachel  (is that your name?).  So, I made a few assumptions (something I am good at but often turn out wrong).

Rachel is a Hebrew name.  So, stretching that a bit further to Yiddish instead of Hebrew, and knowing that the Paris Marathon is new to you, I combined the Rach and the Aus into the Yiddish word Rachmonis (Rach Min Aus) - which means "to show mercy or pity" as it's your first Paris Marathon.

OK, I told you it was a little bit out there.

• LOL you will have to show me mercy or pity I can assure you! Probably around the 30km mark! 

Yeah Rachel is my first name.  I might have to adopt Rachmonis since it seems to hit the mark! image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Rach - great running. At this point it's not about speed, it's about teaching your legs about distance And you're doing a great job.

• Morning all 8 miles done today up the muddy canal through Watford didn't realise how much it rained last night so it was like hopscotch around the puddles. Got my highest mileage in this week i done my longer run last Monday and I feel good no more niggles 4 me hopefully. And apartment for Paris booked just need to sort out Eurostar and directions to the pub after!

Rach- well done on the run dw bout the times the longer on your feet the better build slowly.
  • Morning, a tidy 15 miles from me this good morning involving regents park and hampstead Heath and quite a few mean hills image 

feeling a little ropey, had an annoying cold which is still hanging around Like a bad smell.

well done on the long run Rach! image

RR, it's hardly been the right conditions for a parkrun pb. It's cold wet windy muddy. Good effort for even running it. You will see an improvement, if not in the dead of winter, then soon. I know you wanted to do the 5k specific training and compare the difference after a set amount of time .... It's bound to happen. Your training over the coming months will be so varied with a lot of mileage thrown in so I'd expect you to set new pbs at all distances. 

I've a large bag o sprouts here for crimbo consumption, nice

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Morning all. After a long absence I thought I'd better dip my toe back in this thread. 15 miles started my campaign for Paris 2014. Isn't it 15 weeks until Paris.

By the way Jimbob is your avatar a turd with a christmas hat on?

• Morning all image

Nice LSR this morning , started with heavy rain two mins after stepping outside , which turned into hailstones after ten mins , the hailstones gave way to sleet and the biting cold wind meant I could only see out of one eye at a time , the sun eventually appeared just to mock me after I had been drenched four times by passing cars ,my garmin was also giving up the will to live by this stage and kept losing it's satellite signal and pleading it had a low battery and could it go home

I did 13.5 miles , but it might've been more ,

If anyone needs me at all ,,I'll be in my bed sobbing like a girl most of the day !