Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• 16 miles along the canal done, all of them slow. I HATE that surface; full of deep puddles, big loose stones and potholes. Give me tarmac any day. HR monitor now behaving after being cleaned of scum and salt crust image

• Hehehe - WIAWW - you know you're hardcore when your Garmin begs for mercy image.

Another canal pedestrian here - only 10 miles but it's a start. This is my first week back to 5-days, marathon-style training, and it's really brought home how much I may have been kidding myself about my fitness levels. Over the summer I've more or less been playing catch up with my training and just bouncing from race to race. now is the time to get back to laying down solid mileage and I can't honestly say my legs are thanking me for it. I'm learning to love the Hokas though - they've sorted a minor Achilles niggle I was having, and I'm elevated above the puddles. image

• hO HO 5hO. You're showing your age there fella! Thats Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I see. Am I too young or too old regarding your poo thingy? Are u doing Paris this year Jimbob?

Congrats on the elevation RRalways nice to feel like you are floating. 

• Hello there peeplz. I ran a smidge under 20kms today image

At least that's what a careful plot on Google Earth said. My watch battery promptly died a couple of minutes after getting the satellite signal but before I got out my car. Funny how it can tell me I've got a low battery there but said nothing about it in the week. Anyway, 1h35mins of running done and I feel fine in my knees. Quads and hammies are in the corner grumbling at me though

• hO hO 5hO wrote (see)

I see. Am I too young or too old regarding your poo thingy? Are u doing Paris this year Jimbob?

Congrats on the elevation RRalways nice to feel like you are floating. 

It's a South Park character so you are possibly too grown up for a reckless juvenile tv show like that. 

Yes I am running Paris, and looking forward to it image

• Pleased to say the knee held up and managed a nice 12.5 mile between the downpours image at 9 am this morning didn't think it was going to be possible watching the rain come down but it cleared and sun came out for a couple of hours. Lovely ! 

• Nice one Hatter.  I have had a truly lazy day...fire is lit, we've watched Saving Mr Banks (which, if you're a Mary Poppins fan is absolutely fab), we're going to have dinner then watch the Mandela film.  I've not moved off the sofa since 2pm.  Very much needed, I have to say....

• A few million pages ago Defender Ken asked about unusual places we have run. I racked my brain cell and memories came flooding back of my time on a kibbutz in Israel. Every day I used to run round the 6 mile perimeter, which included a couple of miles along the banks of the river Jordan. For security there was an electric fence, Alsatian dogs in chains every 500 yards and a minefield between the track and the river. I never ran in the dark....

• Great running Rach and Hatter.image

And good to hear you that your run went well TD.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Seems to have been a day for Garmin problems. My screen froze halfway through my run, so I had no way of knowing my pace and just carried on running. 

It still recorded my route, which was good, so I did just under 30k at a 5:51 average - bit faster than I intended. 

Weather was really good, though, so ran in shorts and sunglasses (and a shirt, before you ask)

• Jimbob all the way wrote (see)

hO HO 5hO. You're showing your age there fella! Thats Mr Hankey the Christmas Poo!

Isn't he Mr Hankey the Christmas Stool? He looks like a 4.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

hmm maybe Sub 4?

• Simon - which Kibbutz were you on?    

• Dannirr, you took the words right out of my mouth.

• Dannirr - it was Ashdod Y'achov Ichud. ( I may have misspelt that) 

It is about 5 miles south of Tiberias. I think it is a holiday resort now. I spent a wonderful 9 months there back in 1980... Must get back there one day.

• Getting a little nervous about my flight to Edinburgh tomorrow. 80mph winds forecast. Worst case scenario is that we take off but can't land, and I spend Christmas Day in an airport hotel in Manchester. image

Good luck to anyone else on the move.

• Hopefully you get home before the weather deteriorates to much RR. The forecast is awful. image

Safe travels to everyone making journeys. 

• I'm getting travel nerves too RR. The Beeb seem to be talking about weather-meggeddon and I can't tell if this just a renaming of what we used to refer to as "wind and heavy rain"? MM has a flight over tmrw morning in a big crop-duster kind of plane and I've got a two hour ferry ride across the English Channel. Think I might pop out and pick up a few travel sickness tablets because it's going to be a bumpy one (if it sails)?!? Legs don't feel too stiff after yesterday's longer run so am happy with that.

• Great news about yer legs, TD.  You wouldn't catch me getting on a boat at any time, mind, never mind tomorrow image

There is something deeply wrong about a barfing smiley in a Santa Hat....

• RR - if you land at Newcastle, give me a shout and you can have Christmas Chez Gonzalez. It's not very festive tho, I have to warn you. My decorations consist of five cards on the mantelpiece. Or I could drive you up to Edinburgh - spare you the horrors of spending Boxing Day with my family.

Safe travels everyone else.

Dec 26: Chevin Chase: Leeds Rob. Worden Park 10k: Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Knacker Cracker 10k - Suzy M. Serpentine 10k - Brix, RR. Wymondham 10k - Keyser Suze.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 4-5: Enigma Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - BRF, Danni.
    Jan 10: Tiberias Marathon - Stewart.
    Jan 11: Great Winter Run 5k - ATM, Defender Jo, Defender Ken, Eggy, HS, Scott.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday. Inskip Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Naples Half - Lawyer Aaron.
    Jan 26-27: Paris-Mantes Overnight 54k - RR, TP.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 2: Foulees de Vincennes 10k - ATM. Watford Half - Arrows Lou, RS.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 6-9: Quadzilla - Emmy.
    Feb 9: Longleat 10k - Benign Murmuring.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 16: Brighton Half - Iain.
    Feb 23: Blackpool Half - Orbutt, Uisige Jo.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday. Stanley Park 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Mar 2: Bath Half -Benign Murmuring. Paris Half - PF. Silverstone Half - Arrows Lou, HS, Iain, Jimbob, Keyser Suze, Leeds Rob, Phillip Mansfield, Pottermoss, RS, Suzy M, Wohlf, Yer Maj. Steining Stinger - Emmy.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 9: Finchley 20-miler - Jimbob, Leeds Rob. Grizzly 20-miler - TrevO.
    Mar 16: Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T, Pottermoss, RR, RS. Sweatshop 10-miler - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Mar 23: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Garioch Half - Uisige Jo. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Richmond Half - Smelly Melly. Stanford Hall Half - Leggy Mountbatten.
    Mar 29: Eco Trail de Paris 30k - TP. Troi Rocs - 1T.
    Apr 6: Paris Marathon - Mary, Bert, Jane, Michael.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Palestine Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Apr 13 London Marathon - Danni, OO, RaRa, RS, Wiola. Rotterdam Marathon - Emmy.
    Apr 21: Boston Marathon - RR.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    Apr 27: Great Edinburgh Run - Eggy, HS, Iain. Marseilles Half - ATM. Plymouth Half - Keyser Suze, Jimbob.
    May 4: Sunderland 10k - Iain.
    May 11: Leeds Half - Andy W. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 18: Brussels 20k - Iain.
    May 23: Suzy M's birthday.
    May 25: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt.
    May 26: London 10K -Jimbob.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 14-15 Tough Mudder - HS, Kaz, Scott, Weedy.
    Jun 21-22: Wales Trail Marathon - TP.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon Mac.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Eggy, HS, Kaz, Keyser Suze, RR, Simon Mac, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, DV, Iain, Maus, TD, Yer Maj.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday.
    Oct 19: Denver Marathon: Orbutt.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.

• I had a bit of an adventure on my LSR yesterday, which, truth be told, wasn't really a long LSR. Only 16km. But on the back of Saturday's 10km, that's a long mileage weekend for me. But it's week 1 of training in the bag.

My cunning plan of running out to the only department store on the Isle of Maus, other than M&S, and catching the bus back backfired on me a little. As I reached the end of my scheduled distance, I wasn't sure how much further I had to go to my far flung destination, so I went to check on the map on my phone, which promptly crashed.

Thinking it was the battery running out, I ploughed on walking an extra 3km or so to reach my destination. By the time I'd done what I needed it was absolutely pitch black and far too dangerous to brave the country roads back to the bus stop. So I had to wait 20 mins for a cab to come. Only to try my phone again to find it working normally. Strange. It was probably the fairies.

But.

I am unshakeably, nauseatingly, ridiculously happy today. Because tomorrow I get to be with TD for Christmas and there ain't no storm that can budge me.

• Been away from for a few days... so to catch up:

Emmy / TD - having checked the training plan for week of 13th, it calls for a 8M easy and a 5M with 3M at HM pace for mid week that week - i'm happy to go with whatever fits best for all and the timing, for me the 8M pace would probably be around 9 - 9.30min/miles. Looking forward to my first Forum meet up!

First week of the 16 week plan did not go to plan, the cold I thought I had beaten a couple of weeks ago came back this week with avengance resulting in a chesty cough which didn't bode well for running. I did the parkrun on saturday as a test and it felt ok, LSR however was modified given the low mileage week and not wanting to prolong the cough so yesterday did a steady 5.5M run and a 7M dog walk. I was feeling pretty down about it as the week in general hadn't gone to plan with work and personal life issues getting on top of me, normally running would be the best fix for this, but just couldn't get out. However, I have started this week afresh, i'm braving the storms to travel to family for xmas, but have runs with friends lined up during the week, so hopefully wk 2 will be a little more to plan!

Hope all who are travelling have safe journeys! happy christmas day running to those who make it out! image

Weedy - another for the list - signed up for Lumphanan Detox 10K on 2nd January

• Happy Monday all!

My LSR yesterday was....6km! Woops. Life got in the way this weekend - work Christmas do on Friday, friend's birthday on Saturday then yesterday was Christmas dinner for 26. We hired a village hall and all pitched in with the food/decor etc. Someone made ale, we made trifles and we had an absolute stack of food. It was brilliant. We also played musical chairs then set up the projector to watch the best Christmas film ever - "It's A Wonderful Life". Not a dry eye in the house after that. 

parkrun was fine on Saturday - my 128th! Looking forward to the Christmas Day parkrun too - we haven't been around to do it the last few years. Who else is Christmasparkrunning?

A very merry Christmas to all of you - safe travels and wishing you a fantastic 2014 (although I'm sure I'll be about before then!)

• Safe journeys to all the travellers image.

JJ - hope you enjoy week 2 a bit more.

Week 3 of P&D done - Yer Maj - what schedule are you following to be on week 5?

• Jingle Jo  - Lumphanan Detox 10k image! I've done that twice now, it's a great race. Straight up a massive hill from the start, then pelt down the other side. And home made soup at the finish.

Weedy - that's a very kind offer, although the way things are looking at the moment I might end up in Oslo rather than Newcastle.

• Mennania, I am doing 18/55 but I started 2 weeks early, one week for stuff I already have scheduled and one extra week as always for illness/injury/CBA/life....

• Happy Christmas one and all! Haven't run since Sunday as I have come down with the lurgy from hell.  Four days in bed so far. Can't decide what's worse - worrying about trying to get ready for Xmas for 8 on what is frankly, limited time, worrying about my trusty fellow marathoner who is hospital with something hideous that means she will be in over Xmas or the fact that when I got on the computer I found an email declaring my services were no longer required from my only paying job.  Don't even get me started on how much I'm worrying about messing up my training.

Plus points - the weather sounds hideous out there and I'm snug in bed. I've finally managed to get some antibiotics so maybe I'm on the up now.  No matter how grim I am feeling it in no way compares to my poor friend.

Booked in for a New Year's Day 10k.  Will take it steady once I can get up and about.  I'll never take being able to breathe for granted ever again,

Hope you all get where you need to be over the next couple of days and have a very merry Christmas!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Weedy - I only log on for the film quiz. I've only just twigged. Bert and Ernie from Seasame Street were named after the Bert the policeman and Ernie the taxi driver in "It's a Wonderful Life !".  This weeks film is ........ excellent (I was trying to think up a better word).  The famous quote was never said. My favourite quote is...

A man knocked on his neighbour's door to inform her that he had run over her cat.  The man said that he would like to replace it.  The woman said that's ok by me but what are you like at catching mice ?  image