Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• E mmy wrote (see)

Orbutt - Oh my... my heart is all a flutter. Here you are Orbuttimage

/members/images/334358/Gallery/66813_896583115100_1683398009_n.jpg

Barry - I work in both... just to pass the timeimage I have a pace band per KM but track my garmin in miles as my brain seems to work better like that.

Phwoar! that's like the opposite to Orbutt's "Britney Lector" which is very disturbing ......

• Yeah well Britney-Lector doesn't look quite so bad now that I know what is written on the t.shirt ....... I saw the picture a few weeks back and thought the t.shirt said 'enema'!

• Had a minor collision with a cyclist today (which, I'm aghast to say, really was my fault) - thankfully they're okay, I've come off with really very minor injuries, scraped the side of my knee and so far it doesn't appear that there's any bruising/swelling. May not really be able to tell the full extent of the damage until I wake up tomorrow morning.

Was able to continue running afterwards for another 3 miles at about 8 min/mile pace so that was fine, got back to work and ran it under the cold shower for a while (no real access to ice packs sadly), applied some anti-septic cream and it still stings so now panicking about Sunday. I was wearing headphones, further to the debate the other day, and must admit I really feel like a fool right now.

Was really very stupid, the kind of injury that a few weeks ago I wouldn't have fretted over, but so close to the start line I feel pretty devastated about it.

This, combined with the burglary and a few other things, has made it very hard to maintain my usual sunny disposition!

• Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

Yeah well Britney-Lector doesn't look quite so bad now that I know what is written on the t.shirt ....... I saw the picture a few weeks back and thought the t.shirt said 'enema'!

it's the way he's got his leg cocked ..... well disturbing! image

• kaz1 wrote (see)

Cool and less sunny would be good for us Scottish folk! image

Yes! Overcast please, I go to pieces in the heat and I haven't trained in shorts so I can't wear shorts so I'll have to go in capris and I'll be too hot and I'll have to walk the last 26 miles...

tmbrntt wrote (see)

Had a minor collision with a cyclist today (which, I'm aghast to say, really was my fault) - thankfully they're okay, I've come off with really very minor injuries, scraped the side of my knee and so far it doesn't appear that there's any bruising/swelling. May not really be able to tell the full extent of the damage until I wake up tomorrow morning.

Was able to continue running afterwards for another 3 miles at about 8 min/mile pace so that was fine, got back to work and ran it under the cold shower for a while (no real access to ice packs sadly), applied some anti-septic cream and it still stings so now panicking about Sunday. I was wearing headphones, further to the debate the other day, and must admit I really feel like a fool right now.

Was really very stupid, the kind of injury that a few weeks ago I wouldn't have fretted over, but so close to the start line I feel pretty devastated about it.

This, combined with the burglary and a few other things, has made it very hard to maintain my usual sunny disposition!

Oh no, sorry to hear that! My first aid knowledge doesn't extend beyond RICE but there should be a doctor or two around to help you out, they'll be along in a minute...

In the meantime, think positive thoughts - there're still three nights and two and a half days to go, that's loads of time to heal. Bodies are pretty cool. 

Last few minutes of work now, quite excited! I'm going home to pick up the last bits and bobs (snacks and water for the journey, flapjack for Sunday) and then will probably repack the case as well! We are watching Frozen tonight, hoorah. My third time but Mr KS' first. He is in for a treat. 

We're leaving early doors tomorrow - 7am megabus from Norwich, then getting to Paris around 5pm. Taxiing to the Expo to get our race numbers, then taxiing back to the apartment to check in. 

On that note, does anyone know how much a taxi should cost? Should we get it from gare du Nord or will that be super expensive? We got swindled in Poland so I'm always aware of that when abroad. Plus, the black cabs outside Norwich station are twice the price of the taxis around the corner...Thanks!

• Yes, keep the positive thoughts going Tmbrntt.

Just a few more hours of work for me. Think I've got everything covered, even buying myself a travel kettle to make up my instant porridge.

Quite an easy journey for me to Paris tomorrow. Short walk to my station, then two trains and I'm there.

Packing tonight image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    KS...do you have loads of luggage? It should only take about 20 mins on the Metro and you avoid getting stuck in traffic. I ve no idea of taxi price. I ve taken one...for a much shorter distance and can only remember gasping at whatever I paid. Maybe Tartan' can give you a guesstimate..
  • Hi all, 

Well our european trip has been amazing! We are in Paris now and went to Disney today.  We were a bit disappointed at it wasn't as big or good as we had imagined, but the kids were still happy with it.  I did a 5km run around where we are staying this morning (the Louvre, Notre Dame etc), and it was lovely.  I don't think i'll bother running again before the race - as I will be walking a bit tomorrow (we are doing the hop on and off bus), and on Saturday will be doing the bus with very little walking! We are on the 5th floor (with no lift), so have been getting lots of exercise there.  

When is everyone heading to the Expo?  We have booked in the Eiffel Tour at 5pm tomorrow, so I thought I might head over to the Expo by myself after while hubby brings the kids back to the apartment. image   

I haven't been on here at all while on holiday so need to read back to see what everyone is planning for post race to meet up.  I am a bit concerned due to my holiday and lack of running (last big run - 30km was nearly 3 weeks ago!), but all good - if i have to walk some then I will walk! image  

• KS, you'll be travelling in the rush hour so avoid the taxi.  There are taxi lanes but traffic is usually horrendous on a Friday afternoon.  RER B from Gare du Nord down to Cité Universitaire.  Exit station and take Tram 3 direction Pont de Garigliano which stops at Porte de Versailles.  Should take 30 mins.

• Thanks TartanPimpednel and ATM-don't have loads of luggage but we'll have been travelling for ten hours by then so felt like a taxi would be nice to hop into!

we'll try the public transport option-might get a taxi on the way back-will it be a bit quieter then?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy, you are the anti-Lecter image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Rach - go back a few pages to this morningimage

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

KS - if you're on the Eurostar, they usually sell a book of 10 metro tickets in the buffet car, but you need to be quick as they can sell out. I try to spend as little time as possible hanging around Gare du Nord (tennis player Juan Martin del Potro had his bag swiped there) and the queues for metro tickets can be long so this should save you some time.

• Thanks RS - Just read back! Wow lots of chatting!!!!  image   

• After reading back just letting you all know don't think I'll be there Sat night - due to family and small kids etc but Sun morning I will be there before 8am to meet up with everyone at the Arc De Triomphe and to get pics etc. image   On Sat night if I am in that area I might quickly be able to say hi to everyone before you head to dinner.. image  

• Wow lots of posts to catch up today. I like the dragon stool image

Right steak an sausage kale carrot eaten

Time for packing, Manchester to CDG 12:30 tomorrow image
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I fly over tomorrow morning. Just in case I don't get to post it again the Breakfast Run meeting point is the Arc end of Ave Foch at 8:40am Saturday morning.

The runners list is:

Kaz
    Kaz mini
    KeyserSuze
    HayleyHamster
    Eggy

Any lurkers wanting to join us please feel free to do so. I'll be the tall, suave, sophisticated chap. Erm, well maybe not. The tall, peely wally looking guy who looks like he's never seen sunlight before might be a more accurate description!

• Last training run done thanks to RS for pep talk.  Felt a bit like a slug.....ran like a slug....looked like a slug image 

Packing is almost done.....sink plunger, tyre pressure gauge, small cactus, map of the Alps.... although my friend has discovered we are not allowed to take a tandem on Eurostar....Foch!  

We're travelling tomorrow in party dresses to be sure to arrive in style, I just can't wait!  Safe journeys one and all.  Look forward to meeting you under the Arc.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Interesting luggage Picklelilly

Can someone remind me the address of Pasta pappa as there are several and it's been a few years image 

Looking forward to an ATM big hug... 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

OO - Radar Sal did just that , this morning (about 4 pages ago image )

Radar Sal wrote (see)

Morning all, everyone's beginning to travel so it's time for:...

FINAL JOINING INSTRUCTIONS:(I'm going to get all waggly finger so remember the page 441...if you wantimage 

Pasta papa: Saturday 17:15hrs meet-up, 1bis rue Jean Mermoz - 75008 Paris, Metro: Franklin D Roosevelt. Check the menu: http://www.pastapapa.fr/menus/menus.htm

/members/images/337695/Gallery/Paris_-_PP_map.jpg

• All set for my journey tomorrow morning via Eurostar......

Good luck all, have fun, enjoy and smile 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Picklelilly wrote (see)

Last training run done thanks to RS for pep talk.  Felt a bit like a slug.....ran like a slug....looked like a slug image

Didn't realise I had given a pep talk but YAY me! image

• Whoops, sorry about the name mangling TP-clumsy iPad fingers!

all packed (apart from make up and hairbrush) and watching Frozen. Phewee!

happy journeys all and see some of you on Saturday morning and the rest later, hooray!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Got it, thankd Orbutt

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

For anyone missing meet up details.  They're on page 440.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone travelling tomorrow.I'm off to the Expo in the morning image . 

• Good luck everyone on your travels.  I won't get there till Sat morn.  Looking forward to meeting everyone for the pic. I've got back pain.  What's that all about?  I haven't done anything to cause it.  Something muscular I think.  Not too bad but twingey.  Think I'll slather on some ibuleve overnight.  Honestly! What's going on? 

Hope everyone who was/is injured or ill are making miraculous recoveries. xxx

• I'm off to bed and next time I'll get to post I'll be in Paris imageimageimageimageimageimage

Hope everyone has a smooth journey over there.

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Expo was pretty straightforward,  didn't take me long,  didn't linger in case I bought stuff I don't need.  Got a real buzz of excitement walking in the area reserved for runners and found myself grinning away like a mad woman.

I've done way too much walking today,  solo sightseeing is great but you don't half cover a lot of ground.  Great day though.  Need to be a bit more disciplined tomorrow.

Good vibes to those travelling,  injured, with lurgy or already here and feeling fab.