Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• wi wrote (see)

i can finally see the improvements: I swim with head under the water learning to breath through the nose.  Total immersion helped a lot.

Ahh..  I'm a strong advocate of the TI technique.  Highly energy efficient swim stroke.  It was developed by Terry Laughlin and I met him by sheer chance in Dover in 2010.  That chance meeting totally changed my approach to swimming.  

• Great videos, you lot are amazingimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I just watched them both... 1:35 on the official one still makes me well up, that was me in 2012....

Orbutt - yours is just wonderful...you realise you have a lifelong job now don't you??

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Liversedge Lesley2 wrote (see)

Great videos, you lot are amazingimage

There may be one video lurking around of RS and I singing at around KM25. That might convince you otherwiseimage

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

What the frilly heck were you singing??

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

The 2012 video will always be special for me, as it captures me breaking sub 4 after several failed attempts. Plus I find it amusing that after years of thinking of how I'd celebrate going sub 4 the reality was I was in shock at the time I ran!

Now if only I could get back to 2012 form before the injury happened. A year of PB's.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    yer_maj wrote (see)

What the frilly heck were you singing??

Call me maybe image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I was thinking more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX1YVzdnpEc

... but those guys are amazing.

• You'll be in there next year Lesley. Remember, smile for the camera image.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We'll teach you to O-bot once you have your smiling off pat...

• Dark Vader wrote (see)
    wi wrote (see)

i can finally see the improvements: I swim with head under the water learning to breath through the nose.  Total immersion helped a lot.

Ahh..  I'm a strong advocate of the TI technique.  Highly energy efficient swim stroke.  It was developed by Terry Laughlin and I met him by sheer chance in Dover in 2010.  That chance meeting totally changed my approach to swimming.  

Wasn't he the bloke who told you to stop whining about getting wet and to jump into the water DV?

Me and MM did 14.2km this morning, with her doing a very impressive fast finish on what is the hottest day of the year here in Belgium - 35C today. Lovely woman.

• Yes, TI changes everything, breaking freestyle into small chunks of movements helps a lot. Once I'm done with all the lessons I'll show you the clip with me before and after. 

Can't wait for the registration for London Triathlon to open. Is there any London Sports Event not overtaken by Virgin? 

I was just wondering, is our Dave The Ex-Spartan the same Dave The Ex-Spartan mentioned in the Acknowledge of the "Can't swim, can't bike, can't run" book?

• Ooooh a new house! Be careful what you do in here folks. You don't want a letter from the thread below. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wi - he is that very one image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Engineer - our neighbours know how noisy we areimage

• Hello ,,,, room for one more ??

my my my this place is even bigger then the last one , I wonder how many pages we,ll fit it to this place ,, ?

well I'm in , grabbing a pre race beer , well its nearly april after all ,!!!

now what's been happening , is this paris malarkey any good ?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Today I has my best run ever.  Better than my first marathon.  Better than going sub-4 in Toronto. Better than Paris. It was not my furthest run.  And it was not my fastest run. But it was the first time I've ever run with my son.

For those unaware, my 21 yr old son is what he calls an "über serious" runner.  At age 17 he did his first marathon in 3:02. He runs 80-100 mile weeks. And this is while he's a pre-med student, and has a research job, and goes out nightly with his friends till all hours. And so, we have never before run together..

So we ran about 9 miles today. He took me all over Nashville showing me cool stuff. We ran on roads and through fields and parks and some good hills.  I ran a comfortable 8:30 pace and he tolerated that.  And it was awesome.  We just chatted and ran.  No fixed route.  No fixed plan.  Just 2 guys out for a run.

Without doubt, the best running day ever.  

• I bet your son enjoyed it just as much as you did Dannirrr.

Up at KOC +2. Going to attempt 10 miles shortly - my longest run since Paris! Warm and 'breezy' out there so it's going to be tough.

• Dannirr - sounds like a cracking run. You must be very proud of him.

Massive thunderstorm here in the middle of the night. And up at 6 for long run. Er, yay  image.

• Sounds like a great run there Danni

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Today I has my best run ever.  Better than my first marathon.  Better than going sub-4 in Toronto. Better than Paris. It was not my furthest run.  And it was not my fastest run. But it was the first time I've ever run with my son.

For those unaware, my 21 yr old son is what he calls an "über serious" runner.  At age 17 he did his first marathon in 3:02. He runs 80-100 mile weeks. And this is while he's a pre-med student, and has a research job, and goes out nightly with his friends till all hours. And so, we have never before run together..

So we ran about 9 miles today. He took me all over Nashville showing me cool stuff. We ran on roads and through fields and parks and some good hills.  I ran a comfortable 8:30 pace and he tolerated that.  And it was awesome.  We just chatted and ran.  No fixed route.  No fixed plan.  Just 2 guys out for a run.

Without doubt, the best running day ever.  

Best. Post. Ever.

• Sounds great Dannirr! I am positive he enjoyed as much as you. I can't wait until me and junior can do that!.

8 miles done this morning in bright sunshine and winds. Gorgeous morning( I actually had a t-shirt on instead of a  fleece!), but pace was quite slow after yesterdays run.......LSR, maybe, tomorrow! 

Good Luck to everyone running this weekend, and Good Luck to Mrs  DV and her fellow cyclists!

• Happy days Dannirr.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

That sounds great Danirr! I bet that your son enjoyed it as much as you did!

little plod with pooch this morning. Pretty hot even at 8am. Despite a promise of showers and a thunderstorm - there's been nothing here yet image it hit 37.5'c yesterday.

whats everyone up to this weekend?

• 10 miles completed and I'm still in one piece. Nice steady pace, despite the wind, and finished in 83 minutes. A long way off my HM pace, but it's a start. 9 weeks to Glasgow....

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannir - brilliant image

• Danirr - that's a brilliant best run and I wouldn't say it was slow for us normal people. When's your boy making a Paris appearance? He'll probably be buying the drinksimage

• Dannir, great run, great post. Congrats on the silver wedding anniversary.

Hello all from Germany. The cutback week continues, took in 9 miles of tempo running yesterday through the countryside 2 miles of which were slow while I fannied around in various shops looking for ice cold sports drinks with the clock running. Apart from that the pace was good, the scenery fantastic but the heat was harsh. 30 odd degrees, no breeze and a few cheeky climbs. Understanding how the ITLR runners were suffering. Gels helped keep me alive but they ain't much cop in the heat. Picked up a cold powerade in the petrol station just after 7 miles that got me home. More heat expected tomorrow, will probably go long but not that long, maybe 20k.

• 20 miles in the bag this morning. Perfect weather, and out early so not as busy as usual. And an added bonus - the roads in the centre of town were all shut in preparation for Ride London. I may have had a private 'I am leading the London marathon' moment as I ran down the middle of the road along the Embankment image

This afternoon will be devoted to Lazing About.