Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Well done on your PB Eggy, great running.

I did 10K at 7am this morning, but it was still 30 degrees! A very slow and sweaty 57 minutes.... And then really tortured my legs on a jetski on a very rough sea. Eejit

CLR - I admire your determination, but you need to look after yourself. Nag, nag, nag.

And Kaz, 21 miles before breakfast. How do you do it?

Right, I have a 'sex on the beach' waiting for me. 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.

Rob - Look after yourself mate. Although I love the insane thinking of the long distance runner. Feel like crap, think of reducing 20 mile run to a paltry 18.5 miles because that'll make all the difference! I'm pretty sure we've all done a version of that at some point.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Rob - no bloody wonder you felt like sh1te when you've been abusing that temple of yours. Really, how could you expect to do all those miles and not feel cr4p?

What you can take from this is that you still managed to do 18.5 miles. That's pretty good going mate. 

• Emmy - that's a pity; I only found out about the race yesterday and signed up last night. I'm not sure I would do it again - it's a scenic enough course, and pretty flat, but the three laps is hard on the brain.

Eggy - insane thinking is right. I was watching the Stockholm tri this afternoon, and they interviewed one woman who'd recently been knocked off her bike and broken her arm. She was really pleased because of where the break was - it meant they couldn't put it in a cast so that meant she could still swim - as long as she only used one arm image.

Sometimes I think we all need a visit from the common sense fairy.

• RR.. I have some experience of one-armed swimming...  image

Is the message facility on RW shagged or what..?   I haven't been able to use it for a while...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Rob - take it easy, Good Sir. If you've not been eating/sleeping/training well - things will take their toll. How were you after some food?

Macperky - how was sex on the beach?image

RR - Thanks for the feedback. Was it the first time that the HM was run? I've never heard of it?

5 beautiful miles this morning with the dog. He was happy to have me back and I was so happy to have my running buddy back image

• Awww, nice image

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Sometimes I think we all need a visit from the common sense fairy.

If the common sense fairy has any common sense, she'd steer well clear of us lot.

Yer Maj - how's it going?

Aug 31: Trailminers 22k - Emmy.
    Sep 1: Moray 10k - Simon Mac. Wolverhampton Marathon - Weedy.
    Sep 7: Aberfeldy Marthon - Clag.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday. Bacchus Marathon - Emmy. Cumbrae 10-miler - ATM, Eggy, HS, RR, Scott W, TP. Grantown Sprint Tri - Simon Mac. Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob. Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan. English Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 14: Eco Trail Brussels - Emmy, TD. Silkstone Shuffle - LR.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, Liversedge Lesley, OO, RS, Steve Duffy, Tiddy, Weedy. Kinloss Sprint Tri - Simon Mac. Round Norfolk Relay - Keyser Suze. Stirling 10k - Eggy.
    Sep 16: Paris registration opens. Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 22: Harvest Trail Half - Yer Maj. Huntly Standard Tri - Simon Mac. Ladybower 35 - RR. New Forest Marathon - Emmy. Paris Mud Run - PC91, TP.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, LR, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy. Inverness 10k - Simon Mac. Nottingham Marathon  - Weedy. Paris-Versailles 16k - ATM, TP.
    Oct 5: Lanzarote Half Ironman - Engineer.
    Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Eco Run 20k Vaucresson - TP. Great Scottish Run - Eggy, HS, Scott, Simon Mac, Wohlf. Jersey Marathon - PF. Kielder Marathon - Weedy. Royal Parks Half - Carl D, Jimbob's Mate Dan, Lawyer Aaron. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday. Cowalfest 5k - ATM.
    Oct 13: Cologne Half - Emmy. Great West Run - Jimbob, Trev O. Melbourne Half - JusT. Peterborough Half - Keyser Suze. Steamtown Marathon - Danni.
    Oct 20: Abingdon Marathon - Steve Duffy. Amsterdam Marathon - Emmy, Megs, Weedy. Cabbage Patch 10k - Nic E. Toronto Half - Danni. Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 20-25: Inverness to Skye 136k - TP.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Marine Corps Marathon - Fanfan, Rick. Northumberland Castles Marathon - Weedy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Oct 28: Dublin Marathon - Carl D.
    Nov 2: LR's birthday. Glen Ogle 3-mile ultra - Brendix.
    Nov 3: Derwentwater 10 - OO. New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-10: BCRC Cumbria weekender - Jimbob, RR, Yer Maj.
    Nov 9: Winter Ballbuster - Engineer.
    Nov 9-10: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 10: Athens Marathon - Wohlf.
    Nov 17: Boulogne-Billancourt Half - TP. Marathon d'Orleans - PC91. Valencia Marathon - Jimbob, Pottermoss.
    Nov 24: Adnams 10k - Keyser Suze.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 8: Newcastle Racecourse Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 12: Enigma Marathon - Weedy.
    Dec 14: Enigma Christmas Marathon - Emmy.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 4-5: Enigma Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Jan 9-12: Disney Dopey - BRF, Danni.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 26-27: Paris-Mantes Overnight 54k - TP.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 6-9: Quadzilla - Emmy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday. Nothumberland Coast Ultra - Weedy.
    Mar 2: Silverstone Half - Iain, Jimbob, Wohlf.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 16: Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T, RR.
    Mar 17: Week at the Knees Marathon - Weedy.
    Mar 18: Paris Half - PF, Suzy M.
    Mar 24: Wholefoods Market Breakfast 16-mile

• ...Mar 24: Wholefoods Market Breakfast 16-miler - Keyser Suze.
    Mar 29: Eco Trail de Paris 30k - TP.
    Apr 6: Brighton Marathon - Iain M. Paris Marathon - Russell Nash, Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 13 London Marathon - Danni, OO, TD.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 23: Suzy M's birthday.
    May 26: London 10K -Jimbob.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Weedy. Wales Trail Marathon - TP.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 4-5: Enigma Double - Weedy.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.
    Jul 26-27: Thunder Run maybes: DV, Emmy, HS, James B, Kaz, Keyser Suze, RR, RS, Simon Mac, Weedy, Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Sep: Loch Ness Marathon - Keyser Suze.
    Oct 9: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, DV, Iain, Maus, TD, Yer Maj.

• Morning all. It's been a fab weekend. Went with Maus to a great concert in Brussels on Saturday evening (David Byre - he of Talking Heads fame and St.Vincent), then we did a very hilly and muddy 22km trail race yesterday, finished the last 4kms holding hands which was terrific, followed by another 13kms of kayaking and a good meal out with my running club colleagues. Then an early morning dash to drop Maus back off at the airport and she's currently en route back to her island. My body fat measured this morning is at an all time low - 5.7%.

Yer_Maj: you have every bit of our empathy - being apart sucks.

Eggy -a new 10K PB, congrats. Is this the influence of your fast woman playing out?

CLR - stress, crap food and instability is not a good basis for distance running my friend. Hope you can pull this together soon.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TD - I can't say it was, as she was well out of sight from the start despite not having been able to train all week due to pain in her knee and running with it bandaged up. The bloke wearing the bandanna that I used as a pacer between 5 & 8km could claim some credit though!

It was a good flat course to run a PB on. I really didn't see it coming as my training pace recently hasn't been great. I just used my old tactic of not looking at my watch and just pushing as hard as I could and then trying to push even harder. The first time I glanced at my watch was about 150m from the finish line and when I saw I could get sub 47 I attempted a "sprint". I think it was more of a gurning competition that a sprint right enough. Official time is 46:51, a PB by 18 seconds. image

Now to see if I can beat that in Stirling in three weeks. image

• Hey wow! Eggy! Huge congratulations! Brilliant running and well-deserved.

What a great weekend it was, but I'm afraid TD has only told you half the story of the run. Yep. It was muddy. Yep. It was hilly. Yep. We crossed the line holding hands.

But what he's not telling you is that I was hurting. A lot. And I was slow. My pace meant he didn't even register a heartrate at his slowest recovery rate. Yet, (and if you'll forgive my aside into soppiness but it is at least running related...), in the greatest act of love I've ever known, TD ran every step of the 6 remaining excruciating kilometres beside me, nursing me along. He told me about interesting things happening around me, he told me what to do, he told me how close we were to the end, he matched my footfall step for step, he let me grab his hand as hard as I could, he kept talking even though I was incapable of saying anything in response.

If it weren't for him, I just could not have finished.

I really don't know what I'm doing with this running lark. I'm so shamefully undertrained at the moment, I don't even think I can call current attempts at "shuffling" running. I'm not even really sure I can get any faster.

But, by gum, the efforts are all worthwhile because I'm honoured to know all of you. It strikes me with great clarity right now how much inspiration you all give to one another.

So, very humbly, thanks.image

• Thanks all.

After yesterday's debacle I managed 1.5k today but deliberately short and slow - first run in Vivobarefoot shoes.

I think there were several things at play yesterday but main one was poor hydration in 24hrs before.  Took enough with me but judging by the time/quantity I drank before peeing yesterday I was poorly hydrated to begin with.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Eggy - that's a massive PB, as you thought you'd be above 50mins. Congratulationsimage

Weedy - how many marathons are you up to ?

MM - TD's heart rate monitor went off the scale when you were next to him that's why there was no reading.

YM - Mr YM seems a handful so it must feel very quiet at home at the moment but you're not alone, we're all willing to bother in a virtual way.

I've been shlurking (combined sherking and lurking) for a very long time, I have loads of excuses.  My P&D 55-12 week plan starts today, I'm not ready for it but looking forward to my run tonight.

• Nowt wrong with the HR monitor PC. I only need to collect data at certain times image

Maus - every single last one of us has had a moment where we feel like we must be the most crappy runner on the planet. It'll pass. Just keep training my dear and have a clear idea in your head what your priorities are to achieve. You showed admirable courage yesterday. Most other people would have splintered and given up.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Maus - every single last one of us has had a moment where we feel like we must be the most crappy runner on the planet. It'll pass. Just keep training my dear and have a clear idea in your head what your priorities are to achieve. You showed admirable courage yesterday. Most other people would have splintered and given up.

Never a truer word said. Listen to that one... he makes sense.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Maus - You did amazingly well. I think most of us have doubts about our ability.

I know I do, fairly frequently too. Partly as I never had a altheltic background. Worst runner in the school as a kid. Always dead last in any schools sports day. Only sporting background was playing as a keeper for the football team, and that was based on height and complete lack of regard of my own physical safety! Even now I've turned up at races and thought I might be last despite my race results telling me I'm very much a mid-pack runner these days.

This running lark isn't easy, mentally or physically.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Maus - Tricky knows his stuff. He has motivated us all at some point as well as putting us right when we are going wrong. You pulled out of Berlin because you were undertrained, you have just experienced this which shows that you made the right move. Also, Tricky is quite good at talking so that wouldn't have stretched him eitherimage

Had you been fully trained and still running Berlin, then you would probably still felt cr4p - I know I did yesterday image

PC - glad you de-cloaked image

• I would hazard a guess that there isn't a single person on this thread who hasn't said to themselves at some point during a race 'what on earth made you think you can do this?'. In fact, I would go a step further and say that if you haven't said that to yourself at some point, then you have scope to push yourself harder. It's only by challenging our limits, wherever they are, that we improve.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Wise words from you all.

Maus - does TD wear the HR monitor all the time?  I mean ALL the time?  And if so, can we see the graphs?

• No graphs, please no graphs. Especially not the phowar minute miling graphs image

Maus - anyone can run when it's going well. It takes real guts to keep going when all you want to do is stop. What you did is far more of an achievement than any PB race you've done. Congratulations image

PC - A measly nine.... so far image

• Dan: Given TD's considerable athletic prowess, it is naturally very important that he track progress in all of his training regimes, however, the HRM DOES seem to have the tendency to accidentally fall off in some sessions more than others.

If graphic depiction of training sessions results in unexpected data, you'll be the first to know.image

Weedy: Rest easy...even I can understand these graphs!image

But seriously, thank you all for your kind words of encouragement today. I don't feel there's anything to be proud of and certainly nothing warranting congratulations. My intention was to highlight the lovely acts of TD rather than anything to do with my run. 

I know I need to figure out what's next for me in training terms. I have some other life priorities at the moment and I'm doing the best I can running-wise in all the circumstances. But your words of advice are, as always, very inspirational and wise. 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

If graphic depiction of training sessions results in unexpected data, you'll be the first to know.image

They sell urine home tests for that kind of "data" nowdays

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

I would hazard a guess that there isn't a single person on this thread who hasn't said to themselves at some point during a race 'what on earth made you think you can do this?'. In fact, I would go a step further and say that if you haven't said that to yourself at some point, then you have scope to push yourself harder. It's only by challenging our limits, wherever they are, that we improve.

Completely agree with this. I think it every race image

Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Maus - anyone can run when it's going well. It takes real guts to keep going when all you want to do is stop. What you did is far more of an achievement than any PB race you've done. Congratulations image

Definitely agree with Weedy. It's easy to run when it's all feeling good. But continuing on when you don't feel entirely comfortable or are struggling is what sets you apart. You're not just a runner anymore - you're fricking hardcore!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Weedy - Nine? I thought you'd done more than that just this year!

• Orbutt wrote (see)

Hit me baby one more.........

/members/images/676282/Gallery/Britney.jpg

...Go on, I DARE YOU !!!

Any newbies lurking out there...?    Welcome....    do come and join us  image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I was listening to Marathon Talk about having a 'motivational' picture to get you through the last 6 miles of the run... I think i've just found mine. Thank you Mr. O

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Just wondering, are you chasing me or running away? image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Just wondering, are you chasing me or running away? image

I'll be chasing you down like a kid chases an ice cream truck image

• Can we please have a UN convention against posting that picture?

Eggy - Touch wood, I should hit 20 by the end of the year.

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

I don't feel there's anything to be proud of and certainly nothing warranting congratulations. 

We'll have to agree to disagree

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Eggy - Touch wood, I should hit 20 by the end of the year.

20 by the END OF THE YEAR?! Jesus holy moley and people call me crazyimage