Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good luck everyone! Was lovely to see some of you tonight

• Great that folks enjoyed pasta , I managed a carbonara and daughter had a veal and chips. Hi this is natty  - yes daughter and I managed to change to green pen so my plan is to be at its back- Welsh dragon vest c Rob on front - maybe similar head buff  orblack cap. Sleep well folks it'll soon porridge o clock

• Can you sneak in a different pen I was a bit cautious when applying and really want to be the next pen up
  • Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Completed my last LSR for London this korning and promptly followed it with a cold bath (it was bleedin cold) to sooth the tired legs.

Thinking of you all over in Paris. I really enjoyed it last year.

Sad to be missing it but sortof glad I have another week to rest my weary legs.

You should all be asleep my now trying to get rest.

Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow. I will look forward to the race reports. image

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

What's the green wishband for?

I wish I felt tired.....

• Good luck everyone x went to Macmillans pasta party as running for them otherwise would have loved to meet up with u all xxxx

running in a green mcmillan vest with Julie on it if any one is in the pink pen xxx

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Carl D wrote (see)

Completed my last LSR for London this korning and promptly followed it with a cold bath (it was bleedin cold) to sooth the tired legs.

Best of luck to everyone for tomorrow. I will look forward to the race reports. image

Carl D wrote (see)

Did my last pre-Londo  LSR today too.  Feeling just tired, tired, tired.  Not much running panned this week.

Missing all of you in Paris this year.  Run well and enjoy.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Wishing all the Paris runners a  great day and top admiration to you all as I bailed out after only week 3 of training(very poor show). Enjoy and hope to be with you 2015 or 2016 !

• Good luck to all the runners today. Hope to see as many as possible in Corcorans afterwards. However your race goes, you'll have a guaranteed audience who want to hear your war stories and celebrate with you. Spare your nearest and dearest the blow by blow account of your magnificent negative splits, or the precise details of how you're going to change your fuelling strategy for next time. We want to hear it all image.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    It's going to be quiet in here this morning. ..
  • RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone today! Enjoy!!!
  • Have a great day everyone - new mantra

1st half don't be an idiot

2nd half ie after 20 miles don't be a wuss - dig in 

( oops 630 alarm didn't work , ! Porridge eaten now for kit

• Anyone know if tracking is available somewhere? Thanks

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK. I will be heading to the pub in the next hour. I'll be downstairs with beer and the stool flag!

• I had the pleasure of meeting some of you. Unfortunately I will not be able to meet up with you tonight. I hope we will keep in contact.

Stewart
  • Is it just me or was that particularly tough out there today!! I suffered which in itself is no big shock, but there seemed to be loads more runners collapsed at the side of the road in the Bois de Boulogne (translates roughly to English as 'the endless Forrest of eternal purgatory') than last time! And my folks who were spectating said a lot more runners looked quite rough!!

Hope you all had a good run! Last year I set off too fast and died horribly over the last 6 miles so I learned my lesson this year and set off nice and slow........... and died horribly over the last 6 miles!!! So a whopping 20 minutes slower than last year! Hey ho!! I'm still happy though and I like my new medal and t-shirtimage
  • V hot out there. Definitely noticed more runners in trouble on the course. Hope there was nothing seriious

• The runners will be on later to tell their own stories, but I was proud to b a part of that today. We saw most of them at km8, stopped briefly at km 20 and saw a few more, then legged it to km 41. It was a tough, humid day, and people had to dig deep. There's no such thing as an easy marathon and some people had an especially hard one today. Congratulations to you all.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Okay, the running is done. To the pub! Emmy, see you soon!  Ms brown is having a nap first, bless. (There's a really cool picture of a kitten strutting with Party instructions: walk in, phuck shit up, leave on it but I can't upload it from my phone)

• I found it pretty tough out there - did a slower time than planned but I finished so all good!!  Sorry didn't make it to corcorans - I'm stuffed and in bed already!!  Early flight tomorrow to malaysia so need to be rested!  It was lovely to meet so many and start the run with Kirsten.   Kirsten can you pm me your email and I'll email the selfie of you and me! image 

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Nice to see some of you supporting along the way today - I waved and got a ave and a cheer in return! It was very tough for me, first marathon and not enough training, but I'm still keen to do another and even managed a 'sprint' finish.

Radar Sal - thanks so much for the supporters instructions - he followed to the letter and managed to get to each one so it was really nice to see a familiar face along the way.

Wrexham Rob -  I think my partner too a photo of you at KM 20 water station - he too a photo of anything with a Welsh dragon on it in case it was me. Welsh vest, and Wales flag buff on right wrist?

And thanks to you all for tips and expert knowledge - will be back here next year if I do this one again and try to work up the courage to say hello in real life this time!

• Managed a 4:18 --- 2nd best of 30marathons

Found Coolins for Guiness tho' my wife was standing outsite corcorans.

All in all a great day - anyone still at corcorans ??
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Marathon de Paris race report: wasn't a PB but give it a good go from the off (music at start was Chariots of Fire). Great atmosphere, 50,000 runners but there was a big intruder in the sky I've not seen for a while during training called the Sun. It was hot, very hot and lots of people suffering like a good summers day from 9am. I tried to seek shade under buildings in the first 6 miles but no escape thereafter apart from in the first tunnel which was dark, playing Night Fever with disco lights at mile 16 and it was hot in there. So back to the race, my strategy was a simple one - pace at 8:23 to hit a PB of 3:40 and take a checkpoint mile 10 to see if on target and still feeling good. First 8 miles and I was on track with 8:19, 8:23, 8:22, 8:30, 8:21, 8:28, 8:20, 8:32. But my checkpoint come early as I was struggling a little with the heat mainly. By the way I was able to wear my STAC vest and shorts 'twas so hot. Next 5 miles pace slipped slightly 8:47, 8:44, 8:38, 8:37, 8:33 and at half way I was two mins off target at 1:52. Which meant no way of recovering as the last few miles are usually slightly slower and this probably also ruled out a sub 3:45 so I carried on with sights of Notre Dame from mile 14, 8:56, 8:59, 8:58 before hitting the infamous tunnel at 9:28 (there were quite a few walkers in there), then mile 18 in 9:18 and keen to push the pace alongside Eiffel Tower when I fell ... other runners asked if I was ok and I was up quickly and continued with a split of 10:41 to mile 19 including fall and short stop for water, just a couple of cuts below right knee rinsed off the blood and mile 20 in 9:07 and 21 in 9:10. At this point we were in a park until the end, mile 22 9:37, mile 23 9:36. I was pleased with 24 and 25 in 9:15 and 9:11, mile 26 was a little slower 9:36 but managed last half in 3:49 (8:17)... 26.5 miles according to garmin (bear in mind the tunnels). In summary, mixed, hard, great atmosphere and I started to enjoy it more when I was less focused on achieving a PB. Still managed sub 4, coming in 3:56:32 according to Garmin and about to check the official result now!!! Think this is a fair result in the circs, fitness not peak and really hot.
  • Hope you're all suitably merry image

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Great to meet people today, especially having Rachel to keep me company for the hour or so in the pink pen. Silver achieved: 4:49:58. Hard but happy. Sorry I bailed early from the pub, was ready for a stroll and the comfort of my bed.

I had a wee behind a bin at around 4.5 miles, quite pleased with that.  Hidden in plain sight.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Seems like it was a tough day to race, but I am immensely impressed by all the threaders.

• Back at appartment with decaff coffee, this detox from alcohol for 14days and then marathon does make tiredness set in image safe journeys folks - ware the medal on route home or finisher shirt !