Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Didn't see Matty and he's gone AWOL from the thread.  If he doesn't turn up soon, I'm going to claim his time.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Jellybum - haven't done Provence, sorry.

Ward 6 wrote (see)

How long do people generally take away from running after a marathon? I can't imagine I'll be in a fit state to run this week!!

Emmy generally goes about 17 hours before she does another one. As for recovery, I'd stick with Tricky Dicky's advice to rest, but keep moving.

ooh - how could i miss Jelly's mesage. Wheres ONETIT and Elizabeth? Fancy a provence jaunt?

17hours? You're too kind image At least i dont run 7 in 7 daysimage

LloydR wrote (see)

A bit slow to get back to this thread and I've got plenty to catch up on.

I had a fantastic experience at my first marathon. Paris was fabulous, it was great to meet up with the thread and to join you all for the PastaPapa meal. Thank you for your company and your stories.

I've learned an incredible amount by having run a marathon. My targets proved to be a bit high and after running bang on target for three quarters of the course my legs ran out of steam and I finished ahead of my bronze target in 3hr 55m. Only 10 mins outside what I thought was a realistic target. Delighted to get in under 4!

A quick glance through people's comments shows that there was a real mixture in successes and mishaps. Congrats/commiserations to each.

Keep grinning to myself now that I can say "I ran a marathon" and once the ache in my legs calms down I might even consider doing it all again. I now have a shiny new PB to chase.

WELL DONE!! image Was great to meet you on saturday and so glad to hear how you got on.

PC - wrote (see)

Didn't see Matty and he's gone AWOL from the thread.  If he doesn't turn up soon, I'm going to claim his time.

Was it good?

Where's Xena? I spoke to her at pasta papas but dont know her last name or if i've even spelt her first name right to try stalking her. Anyone have any idea?

• Options

Blimey, I've just read back through three days. Some scary and some maddening and some amazing stories.  Impossible to sum that up in a few lines words but best wishes and hugs to everybody who took part or supported.

If this forum hadn't twisted my rubber arm I would never have registered for the marathon. And it would never have been half as much fun without you. As it was I had a brilliant time and a great race. I hit my 'gold' target but maybe because it was just too cautious (04:40:16). More importantly I loved almost every minute - even the 'woods of death' were OK thanks to all the good advice about pacing and nutrition from you lot. I just kept waiting for the pain and suffering but it never really happened. I felt completely endorphined-up; my last 4 miles were actually the fastestimage

Stuff that really worked for me was; not going out too fast; 8 gels in 4hrs, mild painkillers at 14miles, anticipating seeing the stool flag after 40k. Oh and Imodium; I'm just hoping that normal service will resume some time soon image

Is it acceptable to stalk other people's results before they have post here?

• Options

Normal service resumed - 10k easy run with some stops for stretching. image

• Options

Orapidrun - I ran on Sunday and although I usually only follow Malcs' thread I popped on here to read some of the reviews. Just wanted to share with you my experience of running through the tunnels in Paris in the hope that it may be of some small assistance.

I was wearing sunglasses for the marathon and when I ran into the first tunnel and was hit with the strobe lighting I immediately felt unwell. I have no previous experience of difficulty with laser lighting, epilepsy or anything similar and when I took my glasses off I felt a bit better. As soon as I was out the other side of the tunnel I felt fine, but for those brief few moments at the start I felt like I could be sick. Not sure if that's of any help, and obviously your reaction was much more serious but if you're wondering if other people had issues with the tunnels and the lighting the answer would be yes

Hope you're feeling better

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    E mmy wrote (see)

PC - wrote (see)

Was it good?

Where's Xena? I spoke to her at pasta papas but dont know her last name or if i've even spelt her first name right to try stalking her. Anyone have any idea?

Let's just say I think Matt ducked out of Corcorans to avoid buying a round. Zeena finished but it was a long day, like for many of us.  Hope she enjoyed herself despite the difficulty.

I will post the medal tables soon as I can.

• Options

BM - it's perfect acceptable to stalk other people's results. Just don't get caught.

• Options

Trigg - I quite enjoyed the disco tunnel, but I wasn't wearing my sun glasses. I can understand how it could effect some people though. And it was very warm!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I liked the disco tunnel. It might have been the only bit I did likeimage
  • Options

Tunnel with lights was bloody awful. 

• Options

I loved the disco in the tunnel Triggg - an innovation for this year - it was the bright sunshine I was struggling with. I consciously left my running sunglasses at home as I was certain I wouldn't need them. Also, the antibiotics I was on had two main side effects - not supposed to be exposed to sunlight I got some sunburn on forehead and shoulders, and they also contribute to softening tendons - but thankfully mine are plenty tough enough.

I really missed not bumping into MattyWarr in Paris. I suspect that one of the things that is difficult to grasp if you are fairly new to the forum, is just how much it extends into the real world. A web of friendships has built up over the last 7-8 years as this thread has rolled on and many of us have developed lifelong friendships.

So running and Paris marathon is at the heart of things, but we share and support each other through all aspects of life. Getting together is very special. The marathon is a big knees up and a celebration of our collective efforts. I really encourage people to stick around, to post often, to talk about anything they like.

I have likened us in the past to being a bit like a virtual village. The more you turn up and chat in the queue at the Post Office, the more you will know and be known. So don't all fade away, ESPECIALLY if you plan on coming back to Paris next year.

• Options

TD - as a newbie to the thread I can say that meeting up is a lovely idea ... but very daunting! I was very tempted to make the pasta meet-up but flunked it at the last minute! Maybe next year when I have posted more and lurked less image. I just realised I said 'next year' .... oh God I hope I don't go and enter it again, my supporter (mother!) is desperate for another 'run out', but it's just a shame that it has to involve ME doing the running!!

I hope that Mattywarr had a good race, I have been following his posts as he's got quite a 'zero to hero' story going on there, I hope he smashed it!

I found the disco tunnel amusing, but hard work, not being able to see my own feet was a bit disconcerting.

After renewing the 'earphones' debate last week it turned out that I didn't use them at all, couldn't bear hearing someone prattle on about inconsequential things when I was in such agony!

• Options

I thought the disco tunnel was great took my mind off how hot it was ! 

TD - like you I wasn't prepared for the sun no glasses and no cap and with my bald  head that's not ideal ! 

• Options

Heroine - I was thinking of you last week when the news about the re-opening of the train line in Dawlish came on. I really wanted to meet you. Please come to Paris next year. We have become good at grafting in visiting supporters too, so they don't feel left out.

I've now run 5 Paris maras and supported at one of them. OO posted yesterday that he has missed the previous 3 races having lived and raced in Paris for years beforehand, but had always stayed in touch with the group. We are a good bunch to come back to and we are trying really hard NOT to be cliquey, despite there being some very strong friendships amongst us.

Sure you may be shy and prefer being at the edges, but countless people who may be more introvert by nature have come to find us to be a very embracing, encouraging and supporting group. And sometimes we even run together.

• Options

Hi, taken us a while to get home, via London to pick up kids and am now catching up! Thanks for the concern, Emmy!

Really delightful to put many names to faces at PastaPapa. Yes, it is daunting as you say, Heroine but stepping out of your comfort zone brings such rewards. Didn't make it to the bar on Sun eve as by the time we'd got back to the hotel it was dinner time! Nobody mentioned that running a marathon would use up a whole day!

Was lucky enough to bump into Steve several times over the weekend. Wishing you luck and good vibes for Sunday my friend!

Paris was amazingly hard work for so many reasons, and only getting to 14 miles in my training surely didn't help. Took it incredibly slow for the first half - fear of the unknown, but then the bands and music were what helped me up the pace. The samba bands in particular were such a massive boost, The last 6 miles were the toughest. Everyone was I passed at this stage was walking and realising that I still had an hour to go was rubbish. 40K wine was a godsend then the last push to the finish superb. What I don't understand is why I was never out of breath, just always about the legs. Finished in 5h27 which is way slower than I'd ever anticipated, but I did it, and that's all that matters, with no walking at all - I think I must have broken some records for the slowness of my running pace!!!

Well done to each and every one of you. The preparation that goes into a marathon is immense and it's not until you've done it yourself (or attempted to do it in my case) that you really appreciate it. I don't think I'll be doing one again but what a great experience to have under my belt, and that you all for being a part of it.

I have one very swollen ankle now which suggests I was correct in thinking I had a sprained ankle prior to Paris image . Just shows what a good bit of taping by hubby can do!

TD  rotten luck. Hope you're nursing TinkerBel back to good health.

Lloyd good to hear that your first went well. I thought you'd be keen to have the souvenir supplement so got you an extra copy from L'Equipe. Inbox me your address if you'd like me to post it to you.

Happy easing out those tired legs to you all, especially those that have more fun in store this weekendimage

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

I found the drums really inspiring and great to run to. (Better than the country music that appeared at about half-way point). More drums I say.

I also enjoyed the midnight tunnel disco. It was a real unexpected treat. Tried my best John Travolta impression during Night Fever but sadly there aren't any pics yet! Was nervous running in darkness and not being able to see underfoot.

Zeena: How thoughtful of you. You're too kind. I've messaged you.

• Options

No problem Lloyd. Couldn't have you missing out on your name in print!

Yeah disco was amazingly surreal. Long tunnel that one. Thank goodness for the distraction.

• Options

Well done Zeena - no walking! You beat me on that score thenimage  And Lloyd, if you even attempted a bit of Night Fever in the tunnels then you were doing just great.

I managed to find MattyWarr's time - I think he will be very happy with that. Come on Matty - back on the thread - share your story fella.

• Options

Hi all,

I finished my debut marathon in Paris in 3h20. Thank you all for the advises I followed on this forum!

Cheers from Belgium

Axel

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I' m still in Paris with thread access at random moments but I've loved keeping up with all the race reports. Well done, everyone. *'Particularly glad that orapidrun's day wasn't worse. It kind of puts everything in perspective..*

I've had a wonderful time... as opposed to getting a wonderful time...but am still in ' never again' mode. 

Quick, tartanpimpernel, post the goldfish!

+1 for the disco-tunnel. It was fab.image

• Options

One question: I thought I saw emergency services zip someone in a bag at the Quais next to the Seine. Was it that bad, has someone died during the race?

Things went too quick to be really sure, but maybe someone knows about it?

• Options

Definitely - for everyone who might be a bit shy, please introduce yourselves and please keep joining in. Paris might be over for 2014 but there's always another race around the corner. 

I stumbled across this thread in a panic in October 2012,  when I couldn't find the UK in the list to register for Paris, and was overwhelmed by the support I got instantly from numerous people.  That support continued and provided somewhere for me to get and, sometimes, give advice. I'm so proud to wear the BCRC logo because it represents a fantastic group of people who go out of their way to support everyone, everywhere - it doesn't matter how many marathons you've run or what shoes you wear, or how fast you are. 

It was brilliant to put names to faces (Zeena, Lloyd, Steve, Andy, BenignMurmuring, UisageJo) in real life too. Heroine in a half shell, I was looking for you at the meal as someone I wanted to meet, along with the rest. Honestly, we're lovely and you'll get a warm welcome!

So I've regsistered for 2015. Who else? 

And they need to get rid of that tunnel - that was what finished me off, I think!

• Options

I am definite no for next year. image Too much other stuff going on next year I'm afraid so anything I do will need to be closer to home and at a cost of less then £2500. image I sound very 'tight'!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about the Jerusalem Marathon (March 13) next year....  anyone else want to go play in the Holy Land?

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Still here enjoying Disneyland, last day tomorrow. Pre-registered for 2015, but not sure at this stage. Really enjoyed the experience, my 6th marathon in the last 3 years since I started marathon running. A number of races still lined up this year including Yorkshire marathon ... See Weedys list image

I paid ???4.99 for personal race video at registration back in Sept 2013 ... Will this be posted to me with the timing for my medal or made available online?

Just about to order the photos. Although slower than my best, it's good advice that if hot to revise targets downwards, must have contributed to my fall after 18 miles but you have to keep pushing on to finish ... That's the challenge 3:56:32 exactly 16 mins slower than my PB 6 months ago but I'm still happy and still in Disney image
  • Options
    Well done for finishing Andy .... Yes I bought the vid, expect email in day or 2 with download link .....
  • Options

Yep I'm registered for next year and strangely find myself being drawn to Shakespeare marathon in 3 weeks time ! Don't know why but its nice and local and Im working on the fact that the triathlon season doesn't really kick In till may and I might as well use all this training as a good base image 

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

I'm someone who was too shy to say hello on the day. I did get to the arc whilst you were all still there (just) but I'm really very shy in the real world so it was a bit daunting to say hello and I just didn't know who to approach despite my partner trying to prod me on! I've applied for next year so I must have enjoyed it (even the tunnel!) and this time round I'll be able to join in from the start rather than a few weeks before, and will be in time to add my name to the pasta meal image

My first marathon - I enjoyed it, ran as much as I could but took to walking for a minute each mile for the last six. Feet were killing me by that stage - I've just watched the video and can see myself wincing with each step! Finished in 5.40 when I was initially hoping for closer to 5, but I'm very happy to have finished considering how badly my training went and the heat for the first half. I've learnt a lot from this weekend, and am hoping to return next year stronger and fitter. And possibly with more sleep in the weeks before... working 16 hours a day ins't very good preparation really.

It's lovely to hear how everyone's day went - look forward to hearing more and joining in next year.

• Options

KS and TD - Next time I will be braver, you are all very welcoming and the tips and support has been extraordinary, but I am a social wimp! image 

TD - Yes the first train went through on Friday just as I was getting on the plane to Paris! Unfortunately though the massive hole in my access road is still there, and they are saying it'll be at least another 2 weeks before it is usable, but one day I will be back sleeping in my own bed!!

I have registered for the cheapo ballot, if I get it then I will of course do Paris 2015, baring any complications! If I don't get it then I shall have time to reassess whether I really want to put myself through all that winter training again, rain, rain and more rain!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I'm probably running elsewhere next year too.

That being said, I'm going nowhere. This place is home, I like the way it smells.