Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Superb Matty - big congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Dannirr wrote (see)

I'm thinking about the Jerusalem Marathon (March 13) next year....  anyone else want to go play in the Holy Land?

Dannirr, I'm definitely considering this. I live in the north of Israel and a trip to Jerusalem is almost like travelling abroad (but much cheaper), We can discuss details nearer the time,

Malcs wrote (see)

And then after we cleared the T-shirts and fruit we ran into none other than TD which was just brilliant. MJKK then had to go so I waited and had a great chat with TD. We waited for a while when Eggy and then Emmy and Usige Jo arrived. There was another chap too but I'm embarrassed to say I can't recall who it was? image

I think that was Israel Steve? I could be mistaken? Names are a blur at the moment. Was lovely to finally meet you Malcs and well done on meeting your target!

Emmy, you are almost right, I spoke with you before and after the race and met with Malcs, TD, Eggy and others. The name is Stewart, The Israel part is right.

I had my photo taken with yer_maj before the race and you know what? She isn't as scary as some make her out to be image, Seriously, a lovely lady image

As for the race, I missed my bronze target by a minute and a half, 4:01:29, although according to my Garmin, I ran 42,85 km, When my watch showed 42.2, the time was 3:58!!! Can I still call this run a sub 4 hours?

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Congrats Matty, our last day at Disney today heading back to Calais tunnel around 4pm.  Awesome week!!!

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Congratulations Matty on all of it.  Well done! Proof that hard work and sticking to a plan works... So pleased for you!

• Options

Congrats to matty and the now soon to be mrs matty image  ..

happy Wednesday to you all ... Woken up to a stunning day and no wind off road cliff path trot with the boys (dogs Reg & basil) ..... May the sun shine down on you al ..???? 

• Options

Ahhh congratulations Matty, what a brilliant weekend!

It was lovely to meet you in Corcorans KirstenLL. Have you had any more thoughts about what number two will be? 

And well done to everyone else, I'm loving hearing everyone's stories. It's interesting to get the different opinions on Le tunnels of disco - wonder if they'll have them next year.

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Matty that is just brilliant! Massive congratulations - what a weekend for you!

When she said yes, we're all assuming you mean your partner and not Minni Mouse?image

Ooh imagine the convenience of being married to a Disney legend - you get to live in the castle and best of all you have Paris as your local marathon - sure you made the right choice?image

• Options

Congrats Matty.

Back to work today, and although Wednesday is a Rest day in my schedule I am tempted to do tomorrows run as I know that otherwise I probably won't have time tomorrow. image

• Options

Congratulations Matty on a weekend you'll never forget! Fantastic.

• Options

Awww, congrats Matty and soon to be Mrs Matty.

ATM - to the hat shop, pronto.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Matty - that's brilliant, made up for you.

• Options

Matty - what a weekend image Congratulationsimage

• Options
    Aww, Matty, you've got me welling up again image.

Keyzer Suze - on Sunday I have a loose plan so far of going to the start (I live very close), then going to the road past the Royal Naval College (Romney Road) just after mile 6. It shouldn't be quite so crowded as the centre of Greenwich and there's a long straight stretch so we can get the flags up and they should be quite visible. Not sure where we'll go after that - probably Canary Wharf somewhere to start with.

If anyone else wants to join us in a bit of flag waving and yelling, please let me know ( but if you send me a message on the forum please mention it on the thread as the notifications are a bit hit and miss).
  • Options

Wow,  mattywarr - fantastic report, huge congratulations on getting your goal and digging deep and massive congratulations to both you and the Mrs Mattywarr!

RR, thank you for your 7 mile salute, you lovely lady. We're loosely planning of going to the start too - my friend is on the Green Start so if he's okay with that, we'll go with him for moral support. We'd love to join in a bit of pompoming and flag waving, thanks!

I was talking to Mr KS about Paris, and how it felt like a hometown marathon for me. The supporters along the way, seeing other BCRCers and familiar faces and shouting to each other - it was really amazing. Most amazing of all was the tap on the shoulder I got about mile 8ish, from a guy who introduced himself by saying 'I recognise you from UCI Norwich'. Turns out we worked together when I was at uni more than a decade ago! I can't believe he recognised me from the back, although I was wearing my Norwich vest so that might have helped!

Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

Kaz - I really enjoyed Lochaber but it couldn't be more different to Paris. Very quiet (about 300 runners), out and back on open roads. No support! Pretty flat and has good PB potential. I was lucky with the weather - sunny, no wind, 0 - 5 degrees. No midges! And there is a Travel Inn 1 minute walk from start/finish.

I think my Dad was talking about this last night - he got his PB here (about 3:45, he says). Could be a nice one to do, kaz1. It depends what kind of run you're having but personally, I find lots of support can be a bit overwhelming if it's a bad run. 

• Options

thank you for the feedback re Lochaber. It is definitely the cheaper option, and the girls feel like Fort William is their second home so I would feel ok with them being on their own. Also looking at the Glencoe Marathon for next year amongst other things. 

• Options

Simon - running after bike is ok, do it loads already but really need help with rules?? 

• Options
    Well done everybody, it is great to read your inspiring stories and hear tales of resilience in face of adversity. I did the race last year and it was an "experience". That was also a sunny day after months of solid winter weather but I don't think it was too hot. Sounds like it was more of a factor this year.

I have finally got over the "experience" and have signed up for Valencia in November. Anyone else doing this one?
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    LloydR wrote (see)

Keep grinning to myself now that I can say "I ran a marathon" and once the ache in my legs calms down I might even consider doing it all again. I now have a shiny new PB to chase.

Yes - you did!

yer maj wrote (see)
    I liked the disco tunnel. It might have been the only bit I did likeimage

Another one who LOVED the tunnels! It was awesome!

Zeenawarrior wrote (see)

Hi, taken us a while to get home, via London to pick up kids and am now catching up! Thanks for the concern, Emmy!

Paris was amazingly hard work for so many reasons, and only getting to 14 miles in my training surely didn't help. Took it incredibly slow for the first half - fear of the unknown, but then the bands and music were what helped me up the pace. The samba bands in particular were such a massive boost, The last 6 miles were the toughest. Everyone was I passed at this stage was walking and realising that I still had an hour to go was rubbish. 40K wine was a godsend then the last push to the finish superb. What I don't understand is why I was never out of breath, just always about the legs. Finished in 5h27 which is way slower than I'd ever anticipated, but I did it, and that's all that matters, with no walking at all - I think I must have broken some records for the slowness of my running pace!!!

Well done! image Great news!

Axel 33 wrote (see)

Hi all,

I finished my debut marathon in Paris in 3h20. Thank you all for the advises I followed on this forum!

Cheers from Belgium

Axel

Ooh - another from Belgie. Where do you live Axel? TD is in Brussels and i'm north of Antwerp.

KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Emmy, there are some cracking 'Call me maybe' photos of us in the official photos, hehe.

I must go check! image Thanks for the heads up!

Big hugs to everyone out there who's feeling the pain or just having post marathon blues.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Matty - Congratulations.

Great to hear everyone's stories. Sorry to hear some had a tough time of it.It was great to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones.

I had a good day and a great weekend. I liked the disco tunnel idea, just not the heat of the disco tunnel. The fact they were playing the Star Wars theme when I was running through it was awesome! image

A big shout out to all the supporters this weekend. Your support was amazing and seeing you all along the course was a huge boost. Thank you all.

• Options

BM - I am sorry about your husband, he is obviously of the same mentality as mine - he was rolling his eyes at my tales of pain last night, but I suppose I should be happy that he did offer to pull me out of bed this morning if my legs weren't going to co-operate - that's love for you! image As it happens my legs feel much better today, I was contemplating going for a jog when I woke up this morning at 05:30, but then I fell back to sleep, because I can!!

Tired Legs - I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your run. I personally think that you did brilliantly. Paris was my first marathon as well and it was so so much harder than I anticipated. I wasn't injured, training went as well as I could hope for etc, but if the race had been a training run I would've chucked the towel in and gone home at 10 miles. The streets were littered with people who had had to do just that, but you got over the finish line even though you were in pain - that is the resolve of the marathoner, and I salute you for gritting your teeth and getting the job done. Unfortunately in a race that is so many miles, there's so much opportunity for something to go wrong, but next time will be your time and you'll smash it!

Matty - Congratulations! I expect getting down on one knee was even more nerve-wracking with legs like lead, it's possible you might never have been able to get up! image Congrats on your run as well, I thought from your posts that you were going to have an amazing time.

Hmmpf - still no news on my lost suitcase and medal, I did sort of think that the lost property office at the airport would at least respond reasonably promptly, what with it being the sole purpose of their existence and all! image

• Options

Matty,congratulations a wonderful day for you on and in the course.

Update, my bum is still sore ha ha and my hip is aching again but London is around the corner and a double physio appointment should get me on the start line Sunday.  Forgot to say thank you to the supporters on the course it's was fab seeing someone out there especially when you run on your own so cheers guys.

Tricky, fantastic organisation of the meal etc, thank you for doing that the pasta was lovely.

Lloyd, well done on your first marathon that was a great effort and it was lovely speaking with you.

Zeena, you are a star for taking on the challenge and seeing it through, it was fab meeting you and your husband make sure you stay on this thread.

Emmy, what can I say, a bloody legend I thought I liked my drink, but hey girlie you put me to shame lol. Fantastic meeting and speaking with you stay in touch.

ATM, thank you for all your earlier e-mails and advice about Paris in general the information was invaluable, your a star.

Their are so many others who deserve a line on thier own for making my weekend the special one it was but I'll be here all day writing ha ha. Thanks to all of you for being a part of my weekend and taking time to speak with me, I love you all.

I've already registered for next year and am determined to be there either running or supporting, well done to everyone I couldn't of done it without you thanks Steve xxx

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Drum roll..... Here is the medal table.  It is smaller than last years due the difficult conditions so you should be especially pleased.  Well done

Gold image

5583 Roundman - 02h58
    26696 Eggyh73 - 03h58
    54533 Mattywarr - 03h59
    14377 Kaz1 - 04h28
    53233 Benignmummering - 04h40
    26220 ATM - 04h44
    60399 Steve Ayling - 05h18
    58106 SmellyMelly - 05h39

Silver image

15755 Joe Spraggins 2 - 03h29
    31247 Luke Wordsworth - 03h34
    40742 Scott the Walker - 03h53
    52661 Uisge Jo - 03h59
    31725 Hatter 88 - 04h00
    27496 Keyser Suze - 04h12
    51631 thisisnatty - 04h14
    58102 Kirsten Lancs Lass - 04h49

Bronze image

3169 The Jimbob - 03h13
    12047 Malcs - 03h29
    31602 Lloyd Richardson - 03h55
    52193 TinkerBEL - 04h39
    58566 Leggy Mountbatten - 05h17
    62952 Peter Sherri - 05h31

Everyone else, better luck next year.

Eggy - Brilliant run, broken the 4h curse.

Matty - Congratulations.  I wonder if the future Mrs Warr would have said yes if your weren't a sub 4 ! 

Tinks - now are you a runner ?

• Options

Cheers PC, felt like a gold when I crossed the line,so thanks for issuing me one.

• Options

PC - I got my silver, please could stick me on the virtual medal table! 51582 - 04hr50. Thanks! image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Drum roll..... Here is the medal table.  It is smaller than last years due the difficult conditions so you should be especially pleased.  Well done

Gold image

5583 Roundman - 02h58
    5245 Pickalilly - 03h29
    26696 Eggyh73 - 03h58
    54533 Mattywarr - 03h59
    14377 Kaz1 - 04h28
    53233 Benignmummering - 04h40
    26220 ATM - 04h44
    60399 Steve Ayling - 05h18
    58106 SmellyMelly - 05h39

Silver image

15755 Joe Spraggins 2 - 03h29
    31247 Luke Wordsworth - 03h34
    40742 Scott the Walker - 03h53
    52661 Uisge Jo - 03h59
    31725 Hatter 88 - 04h00
    27496 Keyser Suze - 04h12
    51631 thisisnatty - 04h14
    58102 Kirsten Lancs Lass - 04h49
    51585 Heroine in a half-shell - 04h50

Bronze image

3169 The Jimbob - 03h13
    12047 Malcs - 03h29
    31602 Lloyd Richardson - 03h55
    52193 TinkerBEL - 04h39
    58566 Leggy Mountbatten - 05h17
    62952 Peter Sherri - 05h31

Steve - your gold was Pub. image

• Options

Oh yeah and I made it there ha ha 

• Options

hi all,
    congratulations to all who took part on Sunday's race....it seems that some had more fun than others.
    just want to share my experience...
    During training I had lots of issues with my right foot (Achilles, then pain on top of foot). Missed so many runs, including the 18, 19 and 20-milers. The longest I did was 15.5mi.
    I decided to go to Paris (everything was already booked and paid for) and see how I felt.
    To my surprise I started really well, not feeling pain on my right foot. Drinking water on every station + taking carb. gels. Running at pace between 4h15-4h30 mark. Maybe I felt overconfident.
    At Km30 I started to feel a bit low in energy, than at Km32 I knew I was de-hydrated and everything was compromised. I decided to jog/walk until I could find the Red Cross paramdedics (Km35).
    Approached them and told that I had low blood pressure and needed help. They put me on a stretcher and kept monitoring my HR, pulse, etc. By the time I was already vomiting and begging them to put me on a drip. Instead they thought I would get better after sometime, which was not the case.
    In the end I had to wait for 3 hours before being transfered to a hospital. Once checked in, the staff did all checks, X-ray of my chest, etc. They were brilliant! I do not speak French and they made an extra effort to talk to me in English (plus understand my strong accent). Once receiving rehydration solution I started to feel better again.
    Everything checked, cardiologist gave me the green light and I was discharged.
    Lessons learnt:
    1) Never underestimate the effort required to run a marathon;
    2) Put the mileage in your legs, otherwise you will have a difficult time;
    3) Learn how to replenish salts during a race (work-in-progress);
    But this is life and just waiting for the pain on sole of my foot to ease so I can resume the runs again.
    Amsterdam wait for me as I will finish and beat my PB in October!!!!
    Cheers, ric

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

Hmmpf - still no news on my lost suitcase and medal, I did sort of think that the lost property office at the airport would at least respond reasonably promptly, what with it being the sole purpose of their existence and all! image 

image Sorry to hear about that. Hope that they get back to you.

Steve Ayling wrote (see)

Update, my bum is still sore ha ha and my hip is aching again but London is around the corner and a double physio appointment should get me on the start line Sunday.  Forgot to say thank you to the supporters on the course it's was fab seeing someone out there especially when you run on your own so cheers guys.

Emmy, what can I say, a bloody legend I thought I liked my drink, but hey girlie you put me to shame lol. Fantastic meeting and speaking with you stay in touch.

Their are so many others who deserve a line on thier own for making my weekend the special one it was but I'll be here all day writing ha ha. Thanks to all of you for being a part of my weekend and taking time to speak with me, I love you all.

I've already registered for next year and am determined to be there either running or supporting, well done to everyone I couldn't of done it without you thanks Steve xxx

Steve - was SO great to see you and spend time with you. You're a complete legend and was great to have a few drinks with you over this weekend. I hope that it goes well with the physio. How is your hip? still taking any meds?

• Options

Spitfire - scary stuff image Are you an especially heavy sweater? I took an electrolyte drink as soon as I got up on Sunday to try not to start the race with electrolytes over diluted. Sometimes I think its hard for paramedics to work out whether you've got simple dehydration or hyponatremia (+ other over-dilution things) They are treated in different ways and you need to know what precise drip to give so that you don't make things worse.

Steve - it was great to meet you. Good luck for London image