Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Stuchbury - I assume it was you I stood next to at the Arc but I don't think we talked much either. I tried really hard to get round and say hello to everyone too. Shame on me.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

I hugged both Stutchbury and RachMinAus at the Arc - mind you, I think I hugged everyone. 

DefenderKen - what a tough woman Jo is, real determination. 

• Options

Ken - whoa! Your wife should get some individual special award for mental toughness. I just can't imaging being ill and sore and hanging on in there for that long. Hope the whole family is recovering. It's great that you're still left feeling positive after the experience.

Kaz - you do sound wise and serene and like you know what you want image

Does anyone stick their photos of the day on here? I'd love to see one of the group photos from Pasta Ps or the Arc image

• Options

Ken - that's an amazing story your wife deserves her Medal ! 

TD - Im sorry I missed you at the arc, I was there and ATM pointed you out to me but didn't get a chance to say hello. 

anybody else feel a bit deflated today ? I have been on cloud 9 all week but today just feel a bit down image partly due to a cold, have tried to cheer myself up by booking a couple of early season triathlons and been looking at autumn marathons. What's everyones plans ? 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Stuchbury wrote (see)

I met Rach M at the l'Arc - she was there for that bit - it was you wasn't it? You have blonde hair? 

I swear that I met Rach M too... Tricky - you were busy kissing Tinkerbel in the cornerimage

• Options

Thanks for all the kind comments, Jo has been sat on the sofa all day reading them while I've been bringing her many cups of tea. We are both touched.

Mum has had her own doctor round and is on road to recovery. Jo just needs a couple of weeks to rest the leg before we try and tackle what caused it. She followed the same plan as me, nailing the 18, 20 and 22 mile training runs at sub 11 min miles - but something went wrong after that last one. We fell back to 13 miles between each one which really worked for me. Maybe when tired form goes and her shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus) aren't right and caused the injury.

Believe it or not she just said to me, have we registered for the Paris ballot yet....was meant to be once in a lifetime thing for us....20th wedding anniversary coincided with the race by a few days......but I think unfinished business means we will be back........and next time....Cocorans!

Autumn marathons - I like the look of York, being based in Northumberland, but it is sold out, maybe Chester - anyone else doing that?

• Options

Who said trail marathons? Now I fancy doing one of those now image

There are some video highlights on YouTube, including the British Eurosport coverage, if you want to catch the elites. Apparently, the Forest of Death is "peacefull and tranquil"

Photos are up BTW http://www.maindruphoto.com/en

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

BM - send them to atm and she'll put them in the who's who. 

Hatter - ahh the post marathon blues. Yup, very common and about bang on schedule.  It's very common to feel a bit down. There's a few factors at play.  You're body is in shock from the marathon, your head is in shock from achieving your goal...so what's next? or not achieving your goal...how do I process this?

Sorry I haven't responded to all the amazing events of the weekend good and bad. Am in a bit of a weird place myself with having to do another one this weekend but it'll pass, as it will with anyone else feeling a bit out of sorts at the moment.image

• Options

*Waves to BRF* -- We chatted at like km1 when I recognised the jersey image hope you had a good race. 

Defenderken also considering Chester Marathon. I like the city, it's flat, I have friends who are running it, but most excitingly they provide lucozade sport elite at every 10k ! Just can't decide if I want to do running training through the summer.... This dry weather beckons for after work MTB sessions, and my kitesurfing kit has been neglected since October....

Am gradually becoming less disappointed with my time, and have definitely been bitten by the marathon bug, and racing in general. I am still frustrated at Paris (crowd issues) and need a little more thinking time to decide whether the mental battle is a step too far or whether it will fire me up and make me more determined....

• Options

defenderken - that wife of yours is pretty amazing , to have the mental strength to complete the marathon after suffering so early is just incredible , she is a star

hatter 88 - im feeling the same way ,, the marathon high is subsiding

for some daft reason i signed up for the ballot for next years paris marathon , somebody shoot me image

• Options
    Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

I've entered Chester marathon today.  If I wasn't feeling inspired enough, catching up in the last couple of days' posts has made me want to go for it.   It will be lovely to have my family there this time.  Might chuck my name into the London ballot too and see what happens there.

• Options
    Tartan - thank you for your lovely offer to go to the airport and search for my case, what an amazing offer! I think you'd be wasting your time though, no one seemed to know what to do when I was there. I've pm'd you.

I hauled myself out for a jog last night, legs seem to be functioning as well as to be expected! A friend just offered me her Plymouth Half space which is in 2 weeks, so I will give it a go seeing as it's reasonably local. Also thinking of Torbay Half at the end of June. I have done a couple of Halfs before but never more than one in a year so this is a major step-up, don't even know why I'm considering it, this marathon seems to have broken my ability to be reasonable with myself!
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Pete Sherri wrote (see)

Who said trail marathons? Now I fancy doing one of those now image

There are some video highlights on YouTube, including the British Eurosport coverage, if you want to catch the elites. Apparently, the Forest of Death is "peacefull and tranquil"

Photos are up BTW http://www.maindruphoto.com/en

Where are you based? Im sure we can recommend a few? A few of us are going down to Giantshead in June (Dorset). I did it last year and had a ball!

Scott Le Marcheur wrote (see)

for some daft reason i signed up for the ballot for next years paris marathon , somebody shoot me image

Shoot you with what? fluffy cuddles? Well done - welcome to the sane side!

Kirsten Lancashire Lass wrote (see)

I've entered Chester marathon today.  If I wasn't feeling inspired enough, catching up in the last couple of days' posts has made me want to go for it.   It will be lovely to have my family there this time.  Might chuck my name into the London ballot too and see what happens there.

Why not!! image Try and see what you can get! My friend is running her 100th marathon at Chester this year. I'd love to be there but the connections from BE/NL are not ideal.

• Options

Happy birthday Kaz image 

• Options
    StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

TD - I was wearing a white hat with union jacks on it. I think we did say hello, or at least grin at one another! 

Orbutt - 'twas an excellent hug!

Hatter - my down day was yesterday. Tomorrow will look brighter.

Kirsten - considering London myself!

Anyone running London... absolute hats off to you. After today's run, I could not imagine running that far so soon. Very best of luck!

I ran... 5.5 miles. Very slowly. The local council have seen fit to approve the building of a link road across the fields I was intending to run through. I obviously haven't been that way for a while as the footpath has been shut for six months already and is scheduled to be shut until September image so I turned around... the top of my achilles was feeling a bit sore, just as well I couldn't go the whole distance. Saw some lambs. I have made friends with my OROD.

• Options
    So good to catcg up with all these posts on my commute! Very good community.

Has anyone ever been to a running coach / had biomechanical analysis (beyond normal gait analysis for shoes)? I'm thinking I may have slightly didgy technique (especially after my mum commented that I 'have always walked a bit funny'.. might explain my consistent injuries so thinking of getting a session with o e (particularly with the running school). Has anyone tried this at all? Also what do people tend to do for injury preventation (especially the more injury prone people). I stretch, foam roller and ensure im not over training, as well as keeping up my swimming...but just wondered if anyone does anything else thats effective?

Thanks all and good luck for everyone for Sunday! I'm currently debating whether to go and watch it in person, or if ill be too bitter and jealous!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

We need some support runwiththewind, should be a great day image

• Options

DefenderKen - you and your Mrs really are an inspiration. Keep up your excellent work.

Hatter - I'm with you too, feeling a bit down in the dumps and coldy. Bit of anti-climax. I like the idea of entering a new race for a new goal.

Maxs Mum - For future ref, I wanted to avoid exactly your dilemma, so I did a bit of research on the run  up to the marathon about trying to delay the joy of the month. Do a quick search on Google for Ibuprofen & Vit B6. I think it worked until I stopped taking the ibuprofen the am of the race (figured it wasn't a great idea to dose myself up on it for the run itself!). Might be worth a try for any others who struggle as I do?

Mattywarr - many congrats. Yours was the only surname I could remember from the thread and I was well impressed with your time when I looked it up!

Oct 5th Bournemouth Half - anyone else keen?

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    hatter:I felt a bit like that today,I'm just fed up lazing about but at the same time I can't be arsed doing anything.Im going to hit the gym next week while my I rest my knee.

Had a quick look at the calendar,about 8 weeks til I would have to start a16 week schedule for Loch Ness marathon,that should give me plenty of time for rest and to build a base mileage.
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Hatter - I think a post marathon come down of some sort is always to be expected. You've spent a good part of the year with thoughts of training plans and the race and once it's done and dusted then suddenly there is a big hole that all that planning and training consumed.

In the great tradition of running making you a mental idiot now that I don't need to go out and train I find myself wanting to go out and run! image

• Options

Evening all, having trouble keeping up. Runwiththewind - I had very good results withe Running School, a couple of sessions made a big difference to my running style. You might also want to get checked out by a podiatrist - if you have one leg longer than the other (very common) or some such other bio mechanical problem, that might explain the 'running funny'.

Defender Ken - what can I say? What a grim epic for all of you. Glad to hear it sounds like Jo and your mum are on the mend. A memorable weekend for all the wrong reasons. I genuinely think there have been more nightmare stories on here this year. I have the feeling there was more illness around before the race, as well as high pollution levels. Perhaps that's what contributed?

Called by the London Expo today and got a mini Orange Roller of Doom (a MOROD). Will be handy for travelling. And you can still fit one porridge pot inside image

• Options

My first marathon experience left me with these 20 points:

1. I can run a marathon
    2. I can run the whole of a marathon without walking
    3. I can hold my bladder for the entire duration of a marathon
    4. Others cannot...
    5. I may understand why the Metro smells of wee...
    6. Sometimes running without earphones is a really rewarding experience
    7. I loved strangers shouting my name...especially the guy who shouted "Go on Matt from Stoke"...I was wearing a STROKE association vest
    8. If you are given a head lamp at an expo take it for the race in case there's a couple of ridiculously dark tunnel sections (with jazzy lights and lazers, neither of which helped me during the scary couple of minutes running completely blind)
    9. Drinking from a cup of Powerade while running will mean that most of said powerade will end up down your front
    10. Running next to a guy who appeared to be holding a telephone conversation with someone on his hands free is slightly soul destroying
    11. I don't like running on cobblestones
    12. If previous experience shows you get some nipple chafing DON'T forget to use the vaseline
    13. Using some carb gel in place of vaseline mid race does work for about 5 minutes before said carb gel dries and makes the situation worse (although it does make your nipples smell pleasant for a little while).
    14. If you ignore knee pain at mile 16 of a marathon, finish, then spend three days sight seeing walking around Paris, your leg will NOT get better
    15. If you change the way you walk because of some knee pain you WILL develop pain in other areas, i.e left foot, which will also not get better by spending three days walking around Paris
    16. Leg pain will NOT stop me sprinting like a moron at the end of a marathon but WILL get the finishing announcer man mentioning my name (2.5 seconds of fame over with...)
    17. I can miss my race target of 3:30 but still be happy with 3:37 considering said leg pain felt like it would stop me finishing.
    18. The end of a marathon slightly resembles the aftermath of a train crash with people lying on the floor, crying, bleeding and systematically munching their way through oranges and halves of bananas (anyone else wanted a whole one really?)
    19. At several points towards the end I was welling up and just after i finished I had a little cry to myself
    20. I really want to run another marathon...SOON...or at least once my foot and knee has got better image
  • Options
    Ask and ye shall receive!

https://scontent-b-cdg.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31.0-8/10257719_10154010562420075_1877415306350931135_o.jpg

I asked a randomer to take a photo of us in front of the castle and while she was taking it I popped down on one knee! The photographer was more shocked than the missus but did a brill job, this being the best of the bunch.

What can I say, I'm a romantic... But getting back up of that one knee at 10am Monday morning was much more of a struggle than I anticipated!
  • Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Awesome photo matty - near the spot we've been watching Disney Dreams ... Hope your dreams come true

Also enjoyed makeyw list image
  • Options

TD - I'll be doing a race recap on my blog - prob today image

I did meet a few at the arc but not as many as I'd like!!!   Any pics been posted yet from the arc??  I'll read back to see.  

I am starting a 12 week challenge next week to get leaner with lots of weight training so will be interesting spending more time in the gym as I've been running outside and haven't been to the gym for ages!!  

• Options

Awesome photo Matty!!! 

• Options
    Zeena one gel warrior - I've signed up for Bournemouth marathon!

Rach - what challenge is that?

Running Rodent - thank you. Definitely woeth looking into a podiatrist too.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done everyone. Matty - was a beautiful shot!

Makey - that's a great list!

• Options

Lovely pic Matty!

Glad you have learned some important lessons Makeyw. Great list.

• Options

Runwiththewind - I'd say that any time spent with experts who can analyse running gait and offer corrections would be time and money well spent.

PeteSherri - have you run any trail marathons before?

Rach M in Aus - post the link when the blog is done.

Stuchbury - so many people were smiling at me on Sunday morning (I probably had a hole in my shorts or something). Anyway, glad that Orbutt managed to pass on the joy instead.

I've realised that the marathon I signed me and TinkerBEL up for yesterday, is not only in a desert region but is also at altitude, starting at 5,100ft. I doubt that's enough to warrant special training but probably enough to make muscles feel fuel starved. Might need to read up on this.

Have been invited to do one of the Flemish Classic bike race sportieve rides tmrw - this is where you get to ride the route of a big bike race the day before it happens. So no doubt my friends are going to smash me. Yikes. Better do a little jog today then as my first post-mara exercise. Wishing you all a great day.