Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Nice photo Matt, for a minute I thought it was Weedy and Emmy. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    PC - wrote (see)

Nice photo Matt, for a minute I thought it was Weedy and Emmy. image

No - we had our own at the expo. It involved Whiskey image

• makeyw, loved the points - very funny and a great recap of the race! Ouch to the nipples and the knee though. One thing sports bras are good for!

mattywarr, aw, that photograph is beautiful and oh so romantic. Congratulations again!

I'm so excited about spectating for London - I've done it twice but never spectated. Comfortable shoes, I think. And snacks. And arms ready for pompom and stool waving.

• Having trouble keeping up with this thread now! image

E mmy yes i know you were there, i read your very entertaining race report and watched the video! i believe you won this years competition draw too? well done!
    i came in half hour after you, so you may have not seen me as i was behind you all the way LOL! will try to spot you this year and say hello image

Ken what a story! hope things are looking better

Pete Sherri yes! do a trail marathon, they are a totally different animal - can recommend the Giants Head, or the Purbeck. both in Dorset

Zeena had i known things were going to be a whole week early i would have got some tablets from the doc i have had before that stops the whole thing. but sadly i thought i was far enough ahead. trouble is my age i think, cant rely on the calendar any more. the worse thing is finding room for all the 'supplies' among gels etc!

MakeyW great report! love some of those points and can sympathise!

runwiththewind Bournemouth Marathon is nice, i didnt run it, but i marshalled last year - lots of good feedback!

Tricky-Dicky thanks for your message!image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

*scrolling back * image Great stories, great photo, great list! Congratulations , matty.

I'm so sorry about the runs that went pear-shaped..especially for those who got into real difficulty. There's always another race...

We have a few cases of post-mara tristesse, I see...image From previous experience, that's normal. The cure usually seems to involve entering another race...but be careful of spending any time on your pc with a bank card in your hand over the next couple of days or you '' find yourself in Team MacPerky at Loch Lomond in July or something worse....

7k slow trot for me, in the early morning sunshine.

• MakeyW   fab list so true made me giggle 

Maxs Mum love trail running have only done a half well 14 miles !!! Had to do a detour as two very unhappy horses in one field zpx it was the the Bog and Bryn in Wales x doing the Offa Orror on Sunday looking forward to it .

Matty lovely photos 

I am making sure I read post this time xxxx 

contimplating a gentle 3 miler later , beautiful day here .

Xxx

• Phew!  It's taken me four days to catch up with the post-race news on this thread!  Oh man!!  The highs and lows of the marathon distance, it's pretty much all here isn't it?  From the numerous hospitalisations to the wonderful marriage proposal.....we certainly all had a unique race.  I gave birth at mile 19.  To twins.  Hmmmm, well, may be not, but I don't think anyone else has posted that yet.

MakeyW - I loved your list.

Ken - my heart goes out to Jo, I cannot believe she crossed the finish line....that is true grit!

HinaHS - if your luggage does not turn up, I'll send you my medal.  Seriously.

I'm disappointed to have had so little time at Corcoran's but it was a real honour to meet those of you I managed to say hello to.  Your wisdom and encouragement on this thread were invaluable and the welcome I received as a newbie to the Paris experience was truly sensational.  Thank you all.

Special thanks to the girls who yelled "Aunty Kate" at me around the course and the Stool flag bearers.....looking out for you along the way took my mind off the fact that I set off needing to pee and 3 hours later, I still needed to pee.  Stopping was not an option.....it was sub 3:30 or Die!  I am one of the lucky few who achieved their time with no major mishaps.....despite heat, banana skins and disco tunnels.  Reading everyone else's race reports is a humbling experience.  Runners, I salute you.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Maxs Mum wrote (see)

Having trouble keeping up with this thread now! image

E mmy yes i know you were there, i read your very entertaining race report and watched the video! i believe you won this years competition draw too? well done!
    i came in half hour after you, so you may have not seen me as i was behind you all the way LOL! will try to spot you this year and say hello image

Ken what a story! hope things are looking better

Pete Sherri yes! do a trail marathon, they are a totally different animal - can recommend the Giants Head, or the Purbeck. both in Dorset

Please do!! image Yes - you're right. I did win it and my sister one one of the draws the next day with Enigma. Mwahaha - we did have a great race last year! Are you camping? or do you live close by?

Well done Picklelilly!!

• Matt: what a moment for you mate!!!!!!

Makey: brilliant post

Picklelilly: congrats!!!!!

• Awww, feel the love in this place..... image

And Picklelilly, you ran a storming time. Very impressive indeed. How many marathons have you done now and how many minutes did you strip off your old PB?

• E mmy, no not camping, i only live in Poole image nice and local!

I am also supposed to be sweeper on another White Star event, the Ox, in May, so hoping my leg is sorted by then, or i wont be doing a lot!

would you consider the Purbeck in September?

• List fairy....can you pop my name down for Giant's Head and also the Bluebell Trail 10 on 4/5/14 please?

• Emmy, Spitfire, TD, thanks so much! image  I'm walking around with a face like this too imageimageimage

TD - Paris was my 4th marathon.  I've been gradually nibbling away at the time to cover the distance....started with 4:08 for my first ever, then 3:40, 3:35 and now 3:29. Precisely 6 minutes off last PB, to the second, heheh!  I know you were disappointed with your time as you are capable of a much faster race.....but - Gawd - you were so ill....it's a miracle you made it to the start, let alone the finish!!  Inspirational!

List fairy....can you put me down for Hannover marathon on 27th April?  Many thanks.

• ATM wrote (see)

We have a few cases of post-mara tristesse, I see...image From previous experience, that's normal. The cure usually seems to involve entering another race...but be careful of spending any time on your pc with a bank card in your hand over the next couple of days or you '' find yourself in Team MacPerky at Loch Lomond in July or something worse....

I can't think of anything worse than being in TeamPerky Triathlon at Loch Lomond.

• hi all, for those who finished the marathon last weekend do you guys build yourselves a training programme, or do you follow something like Hal Higdon's programme?

I am contemplating working with a running coach since I feel I need to do hill work to enhance my VO2. I have started a thread on the "training forum" regarding personal running coach by the way.

comments would be appreciated.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Mrs Bruffy - keep on posting, it's the future. 

To those who only joined this thread over the past few months, now you know why we dont leave image

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Matt: Fantastic pic! and congratulations.

Makey: Great list. Found myself nodding and smiling at your comments. I think I'm also just as proud about running the whole way and not stopping as I am about finishing.

Defenders: Take off my hat to your courage in adversity.

Not stopped grinning yet after Sunday. Not felt the blues. In fact, despite saying to myself 'Do I really want to do another marathon' as I crossed the line I find myself having signed up for Brighton 2015 and considering an autumn marathon too. Would have loved to do Paris next year again but this way I get to bring my family as otherwise it is just too expensive.

I'm going to be a marshal at London on Sunday somewhere near Poplar High Street. About 20 mile mark. No idea where or what I'm doing yet, will find out on Sunday. I will be looking out for Steve Ayling and OO as I know they're taking part. Good luck people, hope the conditions are good.

And well done Steve on finishing Paris. With your injury you weren't sure what to expect.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

That picture so sums me up! Been forcing myself not to click enter on a couple of events this afternoon.

• Funny picture ATM image  I recognised myself...

Picklelilly - many people will be asking themselves what you have done to keep on making yourself go faster. They are big and consistent improvements. Maybe you could post sometime some key ingredients in your training regime so others could learn from it?

spitfire51 wrote (see)

hi all, for those who finished the marathon last weekend do you guys build yourselves a training programme, or do you follow something like Hal Higdon's programme?

I am contemplating working with a running coach since I feel I need to do hill work to enhance my VO2. I have started a thread on the "training forum" regarding personal running coach by the way.

comments would be appreciated.

Spitfire - why do you feel the need to improve your VO2 and why do you think hill training is the best way to do that? VO2Max is rarely a limiting factor in a person's marathon performance. Quite simply, your lactate threshold is a much more important consideration, if indeed your goal is to be a faster marathoner.

Maybe this gives some insights?

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Lactate_Threshold_curve_2.jpg

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Maxs Mum wrote (see)

E mmy, no not camping, i only live in Poole image nice and local!

I am also supposed to be sweeper on another White Star event, the Ox, in May, so hoping my leg is sorted by then, or i wont be doing a lot!

would you consider the Purbeck in September?

I've considered it yes.. I ran new Forest last year and that's about the furthest I can travel back in one day.

Picklelilly wrote (see)

List fairy....can you put me down for Hannover marathon on 27th April?  Many thanks.

Hannover is a great marathon. It's on my to-do list too! I'll be in Duesseldorf that day image

• So the London marathon can soon be run digitally...

Who fancies an en masse BCRC run? No challenges of location/time difference, although I think you need access to a treadmilll. Probably one of their treadmills, actually. 

http://www.digitallondonmarathon.com/

• Some amazing stories from the weekend people. Again well done to you, all true superheroes, especially you Defenderken, some people would have given up on the whole trip. Glad to hear your family is on the mend. Not on the same scale, but when my mum came to watch me in my first marathon in 2007 she fell over a wall, she continued to support, but when got home found blood all down her leg and still has a kind of hole in her leg! I wouldn't have got round without her that day.

Good luck to all of you back pounding the streets on Sunday. I'll be out watching London with RR.  Will be thinking of your run too Emmy!

Love the pic ATM, I think a lot of us can relate to it!

I'm going to slowly get myself back into and have entered a 10k in June  - the Regents Park series on 1 June - could you put it on the list Weedy?  Then looking for a half in July and marathon in the autumn.

• Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

Spitfire - why do you feel the need to improve your VO2 and why do you think hill training is the best way to do that? VO2Max is rarely a limiting factor in a person's marathon performance. Quite simply, your lactate threshold is a much more important consideration, if indeed your goal is to be a faster marathoner.

Maybe this gives some insights?

/members/images/345267/Gallery/Lactate_Threshold_curve_2.jpg

I thought that VO2 would measure your "resistance" level...well i am probably talking bs...Need to do some reading image

thanks for the graphs

starting researching

• Hi guys, what is the cut off time for Paris? my husband wants to enter and he did London in 6.45 as he was a weight lifter back then not a runner. He has shed a load of weight and wants to do 6 hrs but is worried that he if he takes longer he wont get his medal image although I wouldn't want to argue with him at the end lol

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

runnersbean - I think the official cut-off time is 5:40, but I have heard of others coming in after that time and still getting their medal. The main issue he could encounter is them opening the route back up while he is still on it.

• runnersbean, a couple of the girls from my running group came in over 6hrs and still got their medals.

Heroine in a Half Shell, I've written to the organisers about your medal.  Not promising anything but if you could email me your story and name, bib number, address etc then hopefully you will get a replacement.  Sent you a PM here with my email address.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Runnerbean - cut off is 7 hrs from memory but check the website.

Lloyd - I'll be out there.  Running about 5:30-45 pace with a mate. Look out for paris calf guards, white cap and running backpack. I'll have paris finishers top on but you won't be able to see much of it under backpac. There maybe music coming from my person as have speakers in the backpack.image

Defender family - how's the recovery going? Mrs d is hardcore!!!