Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Did anyone else order the Results sms and not get a message? I've just remembered that I did opt in for that but no details to either number....

• Yes ATM..... Not one single txt did my mum or Alan get..image

• List fairy, can you put me down for the Giant's Head and also the Bluebell Trail 10 on 4/5 please?

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

List fairy, can you put me down for the Giant's Head and also the Bluebell Trail 10 on 4/5 please?

Excellent - I'm looking forward to prancing round the Giant Knob with you Rob.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ii know it was only a euro or two, kaz, but x all those runners, that's quite a sum...Everyone I've asked says the same..

• Did my 3.2 mile warm down run x felt good x x x 

thought my hangy off toe nail might have to decided to completely detach but no still there !?)£!

• TD that sounds so wrong x lol x

• Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

List fairy, can you put me down for the Giant's Head and also the Bluebell Trail 10 on 4/5 please?

Excellent - I'm looking forward to prancing round the Giant Knob with you Rob.

These fertility ceremonies are always fun.

• ATM and Kaz1 I got the results texts and so did my husband. 

• Absolutely ATM, if you paid for it you expect it. The price is irrelevant, 1p or $100 doesn't matter.. good old principle!!!!

•  

mrs bruffy3 wrote (see)

TD that sounds so wrong x lol x

Mrs Bruffy 3 - you have a feeeelthy mind. Myself and Mr. Rob of Leeds are upstanding pilloc... pillars of society.

I have about 185kms of bike riding to do tmrw - up and out at 07:30 (also known as  Kaz O'Clock+3). Mad. Must be flippin' mad.

• TD mmmm ok I believe you !?!

• I have five Stool flags in my house in preparation for Sunday. I'm not sure I can cope with the stress - what if I'm burgled image ?
  • StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

RR - the flags would be sure to go! They'd go straight on ebay too.

Pickelilly - an excellent result, congratulations!

A question for the trail runners amongst us... I have never owned a pair. Should I? Now the light is coming back, I can run out across the fields which is my preferred type of run. If I get trail shoes, which brands are best, what do I look for, how much do you usually spend in comparison to your road shoes, do I need to break them in slowly? I know I could do some reading around about them but I thought someone on here is bound to know proper info!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

My entourage didn't get texts either image

Stuch, my trail shoes are sauconys, same as my road shoes.  But I had them fitted in the same way so it's just coincidence that they are the same brand.  I tried several pairs on the treadmill.  They are Saucony Jazz - very happy with them.  My road shoes are Guides.  Didn't take much breaking in.  I think I wore them to the pub then ran Beachy Head in them image

• Personally I love inov-8s for road as well as trail.  Huge variety of types from long distance trail shoes, to Goretex, to hybrids, to fell shoes, to barefoot ones.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Bit behind the curve but many congrats to Matty War War - on yer for getting down on one knee after Sunday and well done on your sub4! Best wishes for your engagement, that's a marathon in itself...getting to the altar!

Lots of stories of highs and lows - great to read all the stories of perseverance, misadventure and of course those who smashed it....well done.

So, got all my tests back.....GREEN lights all round, tick. Dr phoned about 6.30pm to talk me through the tests and give the lowdown on everything. He's a runner himself so in a position to explain likely causes and possible reasons. Ultimately, I pushed too hard to get my 20-30k section inline, as it was lagging, with my race plan, on a hot day. I managed to find an override function within to ignore myself, causing a self-preservation trip switch to blow. Won't be making that mistake again image.

As my brother-in-law put it; "recover, regroup, re-enter", sage advice fro a young-un. I defo feel recovered enough now to head out on a gentle 10k tomorrow, easy easy. Good luck VLM-ers on Sunday, will be wishing you along!

I use Saucony Jazz 16's too yer maj. Stuchbury - trail shoes are a whole new world of choice, good luck, probably best to ask at your local running shop but I rate Salomon for off road stuff.

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Neither my hubby or friend got the texts, but it really helped me when I crossed those lines to think they were getting them, so I don't begrudge the cost, if that makes sense?  My little boy was following on the app and that sounds as though it was pretty up to date, so they knew I was making it steadily round.

Haven't really had a come down, but maybe that's because I have number 2 to look forward to in the Autumn.  I'm happy with my time in Paris, because from how I trained it was the realistic outcome: I went at my LSR plod pace.  Hopefully training more over summer with lighter nights might get me fitter overall, plus I know losing several pounds would help a lot.

At what point should one stop carrying ones medal around in ones handbag to be able to show people? image

• Kirsten Lancashire Lass wrote (see)

At what point should one stop carrying ones medal around in ones handbag to be able to show people? image

Hehe love it! 

• Well I was going to head back to Park Run this morning but a few dear friends came over last night to celebrate my Marathon run and we had a few too many drinks.... image  Needless to say there was no way I was capable of running 5km at 7am LOL  image    

Forget who asked me about the 12 week challenge i'm starting on Monday. It is this one:  http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html

I have a few friends who have done it and had amazing results so I am keen to get leaner and stronger.  image  I am going to still run as I am doing a 1/2 marathon in July but will have the first 4 weeks off from serious running - I will just be doing 5km x 2 per week for those 4 weeks. Then I will have a 8 week serious half marathon program leading up the half.  

• Orapidrun - good news, glad you have those green lights. I hope you can also learn to sense what your body is telling you, to calibrate your suffering with more experience.

Rach M in Aus - will look at your blog later.

Currently brekkying up for monster bike ride - this time of the morning does not suit me and it would take nothing to send me back into bed. But TinkerBEL has her foot in my back (OK, she is being wonderfully encouraging really) and has armed me with pocketfuls of tasty and nutritious food for the ride that she spent most of last night baking. I really am a lucky man.  See you later, happy running everyone.

• Porridge o'clock. Sigh.

Orapidrun - good news, that must be a relief.

Kirsten - about April next year image?

Trail shoes - until I got my Hokas I always wore Adidas Adios 2's, and in fact I still do for shorter runs. So got Adidas Kanadias for trails, and they are my favourite shoes. Very light and comfortable with good grip. I'm only sorry I don't do more trail running so I can wear them more often.

• Another thumbs up for Inov-8s for trails, I use the Trailroc 246, great grip in mud, bog and stones.  Salomon get a lot of good reviews too.  I'm waiting to try out Altra Olympus when they come on the market here shortly, they have a wide toebox.

Off to running group now, only 13k this morning, should manage that!  Tomorrow is the colour run which I'm not doing but lots of the group are.  

Best of luck for tomorrow all you London peeps, and Emmy in Rotterdam.

• Stutchbury, it depends on the sort of trails you intend to do. If nice dry forestry trails you can wear your normal road shoe.

If you are planning something a little mord serious you need more grip. I would recommend inov8 too for grip you cant beat them. I wear merrell pace glove for my normal shoe both on and off road but have some Inov8 bare grip for extra sloppy stuff!
  • TP - Do you have any recommendations for a Trail event, either marathon or ultra in France about Mid-Feb?? I think this is likely to be the only time I can get abroad next year... .

12 miles for me this morning nice and easy. Dug out the HR monitor again and stayed below 70%. No double run for me today- going to the pub instead!! 

I also use Adidas Kandida or Nike Pegasus Trail- they are practically the same as my Nike road shoes but with more grip. 

• Glad that you're well Orapidrun.

Hmmmm...shopping for trail shoes might get me over posr-mara tristesse. And I really need some.

Also, looking at my race photos, I'm a dreadful heel-striker. Given that I've been injury prone I think its time to fix this. I'm going to start working on my cadence - it seemed to work for MattyWarr. I might just up-grade my Garmin - I've got a 410 currently, which I have many issues with. Which models do the cadence count thingy?

Looking forward to watching VLM tommorrow on the telly. I will try to spot the thread runners and stool flags. I hope that a great day is had by all running, marshalling and supportingimage