Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Wow, excellent catching up on the thread, paris was great!!

Long shot but don't suppose any one picked up a male medium finishers t shirt when they wished for a small? In my pickled state despite going to medium line Madame gave me a small zut alors!!!!

If this is a yay, let me know I'll even throw a bag of mini eggs in with it!!!!if not them I'll have to cope with a more fitted version!!!!!

Good luck all with your next challenges!!!
  • TD - hmmm I'm deeply encouraged by your words and more than happy to share what I've done to improve my time each year.  Will post something in due course.  Meanwhile, sounds like you're feeling better...?  Enjoy the monster bike ride.

Kirsten - what do you mean 'carrying medal in handbag'?  It's been less than a week, not still wearing it??image

Orapidrun - our bodies are amazing and mysterious things, no?  Thank goodness you are okay now...wishing you well for the gentle 10K.  Let us know how it goes.

Just watched Brighton marathon on telly.....my home town race.  Brought a tear to my eye to have missed it, but it had to be Paris this year image

Sending out all my calming, strengthening, muscle repairing vibes to those marathoning tomorrow be it London, Rotterdam or anywhere else for that matter. Go, go, go!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

BM - have you got a footpod? Am pretty sure 410 does cadence but you will need a footpod for any garmin for cadence.

Orapidrun - great news!

• Ah, footpod. Will check it out, thanks RSimage

• Have fun on the bike ride TD

Good luck to all in London tomorrow, Emmy in Rotterdam and Mrs Bruffy doing the Offa Orror.

MacPerky wrote (see)
    I can't think of anything worse than being in TeamPerky Triathlon at Loch Lomond.

I think it was Oscar Wilde who said: "The only thing worse than being in Team Perky, is not being in Team Perky."

Good to hear Orapidrun

KS - Sounds interesting. Altho it's still running on a treadmill image

Kaz - Isn't the Eco Trail de Paris about that time?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Radar - one minor correction - the new Garmin's 220 and 620 don't use a footpod for cadence as they have the accelerometer built into the watch.  

Had a wonderful evening with Running Rodent and Radar Sal last night scoping out the start for the London race tomorrow and then a good, carb heavy meal. Am looking forward to the run tomorrow.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Dannirr - ooohhh...I will not be buying a new garmin...I will not buy a new garmin...I don't neeeeddd a new garmin...

DINNER for londoners update: We chatted last night and are a bit over pasta etc so dinner tonight is changed to Masala zone in Soho - 9 Marshall Street London W1F 7ER.  Let me know if you're going to pop along.  Same time as before - 6:30.

• Wise words Oscar.

Great news Orapidrun.

Enjoy the cycle TD.

Good luck to all the runners in London and Rotterdam. Not jealous at all. OK, just a wee bit.

• And two of my toenails have turned a horrible shade of purple. I am terrified to go for a run incase both of my feet fall off.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ocht woman up.  You can crawl.

• Went for a long walk and happy to report that both feet are still attached. First run planned for tomorrow.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Thanks for good wishes, it's a strange place; recovering from a bad marathon experience and waiting for 'the call'. So, 10k turned into 7 miles - loved it, remembered why I go for a run in the first place, took it slow and was mindful of effort. Similarly to kaz, I rummaged through my running box and got a slightly neglected HR monitor out to give it an airing. All good really, no aches, niggles or pains, tick. Ah, the learning curve. Should know better at 40 but still learning!

I am so looking forward to watching the marathon tomorrow, wishing those in it the very best, with pangs of wanting to be there with you....bon chance and ALLEZ!

Good to hear your feet are still attached MacPerky!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Attempted to go look at the finish today - all the security wont let you near it. I guess to see it I'll have to run. 

• I’m another one using Inov-8 trail shoes. The only problem I found with them is you have to spend a week working out which of their 60 model types is the right one for you. Sometimes we really do have too much choice. Kaz – do you get a cream to go with those trail shoes you’ve got? My ex used Adidas Kanadias and they looked proper good (and were dirt cheap too).  I shouldn’t say that as OO will be tempted to buy some – that man does love a bargain!

BM – I think you’ll find the FR220 and FR620 do cadence counting, not via a footpod but by an accelerometer built into the HR monitor strap. Oh, I see Danni just mentioned that! Or you could just get a footpod to go with either your existing watch, or a new watch but older model. I have the 310XT which is for triathlons so can be used in water and with biking accessories too. It’s at a good price point now.

Yes, upping the cadence will more than likely fix your heel striking and speed you up a lot. Cue MattyWarr – come on brotha, give a testimony!!

Best of luck to tomorrow's racers. May you experience joy and pleasure in untold quantities, may your feet move swiftly.

That TinkerBEL is an angel, sent to rescue me. Not only did she jump out with the big Belgian love flag as I was riding with my mates, but she surprised me by coming to the finish line of the event – with a car! – and scooped me up and drove me home, saving me an extra 25kms of muscle shredding, ar5e numbing misery. 155kms done today, about the same overall energy output as last week’s marathon. I am so flippin’ tired. Did I mention that my bum fell off about 3 hours in? Good night.

• Great effort TD. Try eBay for a new bum.

• image Ack, I really just used it as an excuse to go shopping in nearby Leuven.

Mend and make do, TD...I'm quite partial to your current bum.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

woah - supreme effort TD. I hear you can get bum implants (see modern pop divas for reference).

Securidee will be tight in London i guess, big city marathon and all....in these days. Didn't see or notice much in Paris though?

• huge hugs and best wishes to the London runners tomorrow! 

• Ooop.... I knew there was something wrong with that post....I blame auto correct on ipad!image

Good luck to all runners and supporters in London. I am checking out and do not know when I will be back....... its time to party! image

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

TD - the accelerometer is in the watch.  There is an additional one in the heart strap for the oscillation measurements etc.  I don't use the heart strap butt still get cadence. 

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    First run since Paris this morning (17.4 miles including parkrun). Feeling very tired now .... Legs ok but slow pace felt much harder today.
  • Couldn't wait until tomorrow, itchy feet, so did 5 miles in the woods. Felt great to be running again. And it's only been 6 days!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

To all of our wonderful loons running London tomorrow - I salute you.

I'm back running but I couldn't consider another marathon so close to Paris. To all of you, I doff my cap.

And to Emmy - hope you are well enough for Rotterdam

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Good luck London runners! the Stuchburys will be cheering from the sofa! Go Emmy, hope it was a passing cough and you're feeling on form tomorrow!

• Just getting ready for an early night before getting up at stoopid o'clock to drive to London to meet the support crew. I'm excited - I've never watched a marathon! Is it okay to say I"m a bit jealous as well? 

Good luck, super London runners! Good luck to Emmy too, go smash Rotterdam! 

• good luck everyone tomorrow will be watching from the sofa after 12 miles or so. Wish I could be there very jealous.. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Good luck!  Gutted that I'm not there....my lurgy and I will be watching from the sofa.

KS - I supported last year and I was surprised at how emotional it is...

• ...flexes flag and pom pom-waving muscles in anticipation.
  • Good luck all you London, Rotterdam and elsewhere runners tomorrow.  I'll be rooting for you all. 

Has everyone got the lurgy?  Came down with a sore throat, cough etc on Thurs and today I feel even worse.  Blaming it on the husband who was ill in Paris.

Ran 6 miles with the club today.  Feel OK in the legs but generally not well so time to take it easy I feel.  Watching the London marathon from the sofa sounds a good plan.

Any thoughts on why I should have a hole in the upper of my Asics after the marathon?  They've only done about 80 miles, I bought them in Feb.  Surely that's not fair wear and tear?  Or is it? It's where my big toe is.

Got my engraved tab for the back of my medal today.  Prompt service I thought.  But I also ordered a poster and I don't know whether I was supposed to pick it up or it was to be sent but there was no sign of anything when I picked up my number.  Anyone else order one?

• Leggy, better to have a hole in your trainer than a hole in your toe. My big toe nail is perilously close to parting company with my toe.