Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• and still no Paris email for me image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm obviously not as cool as others here. I spend at least 50% of my time running wondering why the hell I'm putting myself through this. The other 50% I tend to enjoy it. I think in truth I have a love/hate relationship with running.

Also I don't think I've ever stood on a start line and not been worried about completing it. I go from completely calm about it an hour before, to 'oh bollocks' in a second. Although I think that fear of failure is probably one of the reasons I tend to perform decently in most races.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jo - I cant quote your message image

I think for me it depends on the day and what's going on. During my morning runs I think about my day ahead, plan my emails, plan replies to colleagues.

During marathons I think about the wider stuff. My plans, where I want to be in my life and the wider topics... it's also the most important stuff in life: Why are lemons bitter?image

• I got the email, but 89 euros doesn't tempt me to part with my cash this far in advance

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    benignmurmurring wrote (see)

I got the email, but 89 euros doesn't tempt me to part with my cash this far in advance

Me too... If I didnt love you guys as much as I do - i'd not be going back. 90EUR for this race? Frankfurt is 70, Cologne is 60.

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Some fantastic running everyone!  Boston sounds fab.  I've only had little runs since Paris, but enjoyed every single step.  10k race on Sunday.

I've lots of birthday money to spend so am off to Sweatshop soon to look at heart rate monitors and might also get some trail shoes, or at least check which ones suit me and wait for a sale. And perhaps a lightweight backpack thingy. I'm keen to try a trail run and have a friend encouraging me, even though I'm a wimp on hills. It's so bloody flat where I live. Am assured people walk up the hills?

Spa afternoon today. Lovely. Have a great day everyone. 

• Kirsten Lancs Lass - Hmmmm... I want your day image

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Yes, and it started with a run.  That sounds like a song I know.....

• RR - just spotted this, do you think this is perhaps why you found it hard going so early?  

(see)
    Descending feels easy aerobically, but each step triggers muscle-damaging eccentric contractions in the quadriceps and lower legs, says Greg Wells, Ph.D., an exercise physiologist at the University of Toronto and the author of Superbodies: Peak Performance Secrets from the World's Best Athletes. On level ground, these muscles shorten as they fire; on declines, they elongate while under tension as they work to control your speed. This creates more micro-tears in each fiber, which stimulates muscle growth but leaves you fatigued and sore. That's one reason the Boston Marathon, with its four-mile downhill opening stretch, is such a hard course.

• I just got an email - I'm in for €99. Hmm. Was €70 last year.

KirstenLL, I also want your day! I did order some new shoes and a new sports bra the other day though, and I'm assured the order's on the way. Hoorah!

• My experience of thoughts during the Paris marathon were largely... that hurts... does it hurt too much... is that a niggle or just fatigue... it's meant to hurt it's a marathon... are we nearly there yet... ooh this tunnels dark... etc!

Happy Birthday Kirsten! enjoy the spa, nice and relaxing! +1 for running on the trails, I love being out and about in the woods, and it builds strength on the uneven surfaces.

• Happy birthday Kirsten.

Today I am mostly cutting bits of wood. Precisely. At angles. And looking forward to going to Geneva with my belle who Tinkels. Might get a chance to do some actual running. Preferably round a lake or something.

• Have a lovely day Kirsten. Sounds like fun!

Really loved your race report RR. A moving experience for so many reasons.

Got the ballot email, but 99 euros does seem like a hell of a lot of money (I agree Benign) considering I swore I'd never do another one! Begs the question why I registered. Hmm. Just looking at GSR - at £41 that's not cheap either. You've tempted me though Steve!

Went for an xray today as ankle still swollen from Paris, but luckily no bones broken. Feeling seriously unfit. Perhaps continuing to walk everywhere is not helping! I'll be content you're all running on my behalf image

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello all

I've been keeping up with the forum but didn't have much to add as I've gone from one lurgy to the next since Paris. Came down with the first on the day we got back from Paris (Tuesday the whatever it was, way back when...) and then as soon as I felt better from that one, another one came along. I've had I think one day of being able to breathe normally since we got back! I've been told that post marathon colds are common as you're immune system is a bit fragile, but this is ridiculous. Am now on antibobits from the Doctor in the hope I'll feel human again soon and be back out running but I've been green with envy at all of you who've been out running in the meantime. Cabin fever has well and truly set in here! I have a couple of 10k races booked for May and the Hackney Half in June so would be good to get some training in before then!

As for trails / hills - I used to hate hills and would plan my runs based on avoiding them as much as possible, but I started working with a trainer last year and she had me doing hill runs, and also started going to a Parkrun which has a few steep hills. I quite like them now as I can keep pelting to the the top as long as it isn't a mile long and slowly recover once I get there. Quite satisfying to pass all those who've passed me whilst going hell for leather on the flat/downhill bits as they crawl up the hills.

Just got my Paris ballot email too - €99. Would love to do it again, but might mull it over as it adds up a bit with the train and accommodation for two of us etc. It isn't much less than what I paid last October for this year so not much of an incentive to pay up now...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Nells - Yup, the post marathon lurgy is a very common thing. There's a few that have come down with it and there's a particularly bad virus going around this year. Look after yourself and don't go back too soon.

Hmmm...what to think about during a run...I start with the problems of my world...then get distracted by what's around me SQUIRREL!...do a wee check on the body...oh pretty building/lake/path/tree...what's that person doing...ohh actual squirrel...damn this hurts...how far to go?...so where is that plane...ohh cool song...as RRs book is titled relentless forward progress. I only focus 100% on the running during a speedy interval.

• Carl DCarl D ✭✭✭

Have just received my email from parismarathon.

Have been offered a place at E99 including free SMS text service. Does this mean that the 75 and 89 euro places (5000 each) have all gone in the draw ?

Does anyone know how many places were being offered via teh draw.

I am guessing I could get the 99 euro place anytime.

•  

I watched the winners coming in at the Melbourne Ironman Tinkerbell! Did your brother win? The weather was pretty windy and cool so must have been a tough one.

My Garmin is not working properly - won't switch off and has a funny symbol that doesn't appear in the manual.  And the HR monitor isn't being picked up either. I hate technology when it doesn't work. And I have hurt my calf - entirely my fault for running too far, too fast, too soon after Paris. And work is cr*p at the moment.Moan ... moan... moan.

Happy Birthday Kirsten. I hope your day is much, much, better than mine.

• Happy birthday Kirsten

Zeena if you are running Portsmouth (GSR) let me know and I'll meet up with you before the race and look after you and the family, good that you want to keep running. Hope your ankle gets better soon you have plenty of time before your next run so take it easy.

Paris 2015 : Bib number 51054 in the Grey pen, one less thing to pay out for later in the year and got in for 75 euros so bargain whilst it was on offer.

• Well done on all those already registered for Paris 1015. I admire your commitment and enthusiasm.  (Or are you just trying to save a few quid...)

RR - the throught of wiping down Scott's wetsuit hasn't really improved my day, but thanks anyway.

• Good luck with that ankle Zeena, hope you're back running soon.

Didn't mean to imply I won't be back in Paris because I'm not leaping at the 'bargain' price. I'll just let them fleece me for +100 euros later in the year.

Sometimes I get all the nasty stuff out on runs. I may replay conversations in my head with the people who have recently bugged me, often saying what I would have loved to say if it didn't involve getting the sack. Ha! Then I can move on and be all nice again. Its like squeezing spots - kind of horrible but better out then in. That makes me sound really passive-aggressive. Mostly at the moment I'm really thrilled by the Spring; it happens every year but its still amazing.

• Sorry to piggy back onto this forum, sure this has been covered before, but couldnt see it. I just wanted to ask about this whole ballot thing! So I entered the ballot, and got the 89 euro rate. Is this the only chance to enter? Will entry open like normal in September? (Obviously at a higher rate!) Couldnt see it mentioned on the site!

I am in the London ballot, and not sure my legs can do 2 captial cities in 2 weeks, not to mention the bank balance!!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Zeena - good news, hope ankle is better soon.

Nells - Welcome, get well soon

RS - Not many squirrels in Paris but they're red !

Kristen - image

Carl D - 5000 places at 75€ and 89€, 27000 places at 99€, 8000 places at 109€

When I'm running I think off what I can write, everyone else writes fantastic reports and I just want to be part of the action.  I also spend my lottery money, I'd better win billions because I have some crazy ideas.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Harriet - Yes, the ballot is only for cheaper places. The regular entry opens in September as normal, but the entry cost will be higher.

• Eggyh73 thats great cheers...

Although now thinking I may just enter at the price they have given me, and not mention it to the other half until the London ballot is announced! Too cunning?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

As a person who was insane enough to do a Paris/London double last year, go for it!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Conditions of the draw and tariff band of the race :

NUMBER OF PLACES  - PRICE
    5000                                75€
    5000                                89€
    27 200                             99€ (Sms pack for free)
    8 000                              109€ (Sms pack + poster for free)

Warning :

• Only pre-registration can offer you access to best prices.
    • Sold out tariff bands won’t be avaiblable after the draw.
  • Eggyh73; I'm taking that challenge on next year.  So help me God.

(And I've also been asked to do the Manchester Marathon two weeks beforehand? I didn't even know it existed.  but oh well)

• TD, no - no loudhailers, except the tannoy at the start. Lots of military and FBI, although not obviously armed to the teeth as I though they might have been (although who knows what the ones I didn't see were doing). At the start apparently there's usually a fly-past from military fighter jets, but this year we got formation air ambulances from the National Guard who, sadly, were all too busy last year.

• Eggyh73 nice to see you on the other side. I am tempted, just worried about injury etc. Rebecca Runs - heard good things about Manchester image

So basically the ballot was just to allocate the cheaper bands randomly. guessing it will be 109 euros and up come september then!

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

HS - I read, "Sold out tariff wont be available after the draw", as, if the tariff is not sold out then it WILL BE available after the draw.