Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Harriet Simpson wrote (see)

Rebecca Runs - heard good things about Manchester image

Oh god, Harriet, don't say that! So very very tempting.

I'm currently tossing up between Copenhagen or the London2Brighton 100km at the end of May.  Glutton for punishment?  I suppose it's easier to get back from Brighton; I could have a night out as well..

• PC - good point, dare say a few people wont take up their offer, so they would be available places. My observational skills fail again!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Harriet - Next year they are two weeks apart, which is the same as when I did it. I was told not to race both, so I pushed in Paris and went easy on the pace in London. For the most part I coasted around London quite well, but I will admit that I really suffered in the final few miles at London. More pain of fatigue and earlier than I normally would on a marathon.

It's certainly do-able. Although I must admit the hardest part for me to adjust to was the thought of running another marathon so soon after finishing one. That certainly screwed up my head for the two weeks between the events.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

It's certainly do-able. Although I must admit the hardest part for me to adjust to was the thought of running another marathon so soon after finishing one. That certainly screwed up my head for the two weeks between the events.

That's not good. Though, that being said, last year I had that after I finished for the first time, for a month I didn't even want to run for the bus. This year, two days later, I recovered so much better, I was back out later in the week.  Still not as high in energy levels, but happily plodding along.  I'll do a long hard one this weekend and see where that gets me, what mindset I'm in.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

It wasn't so much not wanting to run. It was the feeling of not really having finished after Paris, as I knew the next one was approaching. That and the tricks my brain plays on me about how much training I should be doing, or what I should be eating.

It was more the elation or good feeling from completing a marathon didn't arrive until I'd ticked off both. The two weeks between was a mental limbo land for me.

• Ahhhh I see.   Ooh, that will be interesting! 

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    I'm in the ballot for London next year.I'll wait and see how that goes first.I'd like to do Paris again,although I thoroughly enjoyed it I still felt anxious all the way round,my injury was constantly on my mind and I couldn't fully relax.

Had a quick look at my garmin data from the marathon and the lead up to it.Going by the data my HR was very high for the pace I was running.No idea what could have caused it as I felt ok.

6/4/14Marathon:Pace 10:35,HR 169bpm(84%)

Up to 13mile pace 10:09 HR 171bpm

13m-18m pace 10:29 HR 169bpm

18m-finish pace 11:20 HR 167bpm

23/3/14 13m run: pace 9:00 HR 164bpm

Pre holiday/injury 22/11/13:15miles pace 7:32 HR 171.

Between my injury and the marathon I lost around 3 minutes per mile for around the same HR.

Hopefully I'll get back to my pre holiday level in time for Loch Ness.
  • Hi all - following all the talk of heart rates I dusted mine off for the first time today, ashamed to say it has been in a drawer since I bought my Garmin.  As I explained previously I'm not too fit at the mo and wondered if anyone had any tips for getting started with it, or direct me to some good reading?

• Don't suppose anyone knows from past experience as to what month seville marathon opens up its doors for orange loving runners? Searched and contacted but no joy.
  • Jellybum, put the monitor on every time you go for a run. Save all the runs on garminconnect. give them names like "easy run" or "steady run" or "long run" depending on what you do. Leave notes if u notice anything about the run like if it felt good, or a struggle. After a while you will see the patterns of your normal heart rates for different work outs......

• Kirsten BKirsten B ✭✭✭

Thanks Jimbob too. Bought mine today, only tried it for 5 mins while cooking dinner and I should be dead with the average rate it told me. But I didn't really wet the bits it went on about, or tighten the strap. It works at least.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Remember the saying "You can't bank time, only energy"?   Here is more along the same line:

"There is no such thing as 'time in the bank'. The bank charges interest, and often demands a balloon payment at the end."

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Agentpenguin - it's a geb marathon that doesn't sell out so will probably open July-August. if they're not publicising entry dates then you should be fine to get in.

I commonly have a spike on my hr monitor in the first few mins as the points get sorted. It screws up the average and can't adjust specific points on garmin connect. Humph!

• Eggyh73 and Rebecca Runs thanks for that, a 2 week gap would be better for me recovery wise, but I do worry about that whole head game bit!

Going to have to sleep on it for a few nights then decide! At least they give you some time to stew it over!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rebecca Runs wrote (see)
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

That's not good. Though, that being said, last year I had that after I finished for the first time, for a month I didn't even want to run for the bus. This year, two days later, I recovered so much better, I was back out later in the week.  Still not as high in energy levels, but happily plodding along.  I'll do a long hard one this weekend and see where that gets me, what mindset I'm in.

Its 95% mental I think. If I look back on how I was I used to make such a big deal out of it but if you take each race as it is, prepare and recover well - anything is possible mentally.

agentpenguin wrote (see)
    Don't suppose anyone knows from past experience as to what month seville marathon opens up its doors for orange loving runners? Searched and contacted but no joy.

Orange loving runners? Nog een Nederlande?

• Back on things to think about when running, when I first started doing 10Ks my running buddy and I would play a game of coming up with the best random fact at each Km marker... whiled away the time, and normally had us giggling - not sure I've got 42 random facts though, let alone 26!

• Harriet Simpson wrote (see)

Eggyh73 and Rebecca Runs thanks for that, a 2 week gap would be better for me recovery wise, but I do worry about that whole head game bit!

Going to have to sleep on it for a few nights then decide! At least they give you some time to stew it over!

Hi Harriet Simpson, I also did the double last year of Paris and London. I did Paris 10 minutes' quicker (a 20 minute PB). London was tough and by mile 17 I was walking, but I put that down to the extra heat. Paris was something like 6 degrees and London was about 20, so there was a big difference! I didn't feel too tired - I think I did a fairly normal training schedule in between so back to running on the Wednesday, nice and gentle, with a 12mile Long Slow Run on the Sunday in between. 

My friend did Paris and London this year (6 days apart) and finished London nearly 45 minutes earlier! Just goes to show you the difference between a good and bad day. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Did the first in a 5mile series last night, intending to do 9min/mil. Did the first mile in 7:30. Woops. Decided half way through (19:39) that despite my niggles and sniffles I wanted a sub 40. Ended with a 40:12 ish. Still, there are two more to go so plenty of time to get sub 40! It was a great race actually, along the Great Yarmouth seafront. No real start line (just a bloke with a megaphone) and the finish line was three people with stopwatches and a blow up gantry. It was very club heavy but still felt friendly. Only £15 for all three races. 

Now to Plymouth via Dorset! TheJimBob, I'm not aiming for 1:45. I'm just not in the right place. Gold: sub 1:55 Silver: sub 2 Bronze: finish. Whee!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Uisge Jo wrote (see)

Back on things to think about when running, when I first started doing 10Ks my running buddy and I would play a game of coming up with the best random fact at each Km marker... whiled away the time, and normally had us giggling - not sure I've got 42 random facts though, let alone 26!

I've played this game too! We also did the "what we're going to eat after this" game. The eye spy game, simon says, the best chat up lines we've ever heard.

In Milton Keynes last year - we played the chat up line game and every km we had to go up to a fellow runner and say the line. Suffice to say - i started a marathon "train" for the 5.30 club and there were 6 guys and 2 girls. So.... did it hurt when you fell from heaven?

• Great games Emmy! On our training runs we played 'titles with colours in', 'titles with numbers in' and 'titles with names in' - films and songs. They work well because it requires a bit of distraction but not too much thinking. You'll also find you're thinking of songs or films for days afterwards!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ooh -I like that one Suze! I might give that a go this weekend.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Paris looking at the entrance for 12 euros you get insurance, does that literally cover you if you just change your mind and want to withdraw any time up to whenever the cut off point for it is? 

You don't have to prove your injured, you can just change your mind? If so.. Then I'm in. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Booktrunk - have a look at the fine details. I know that for the german races - they specifically call it cancellation insurance so if you decide not to do it - you're not penalised.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Suze - Great running. Sounds like you have some good speed in the legs just now.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi BookTrunk - Are you the lady that took up running a couple of years ago, went straight for a marathon, have done several since and a few utlras ???    If you are then wait a minute let me get the red carpet... If not, you're more than welcome to join us, pull up a chair and tell us about yourself.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello all. I'm thinking of entering Paris next year as have done London for last couple of years and am tempted to try something a bit different and also have never ran a marathon abroad, and Paris fits nicely in the school hols.

But, I could still enter London using a GFA place, and London really is a special marathon and a bit of a bargain; whereas Paris could be quite pricey.

So, need some honest reviews if any of you are willing to persuade me or otherwise?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Paris is a fantastic event and this of course is the best thread on the forum. You'll find most folks a bit biased about it around these parts, as many of us here have been over to Paris for the marathon several times now.

A good few folk have doubled up and done both Paris & London around these parts too.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I did think that, but I'm not a very quick at recovering so maybe not wise.