Options

Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options

Thanks Eggy! I don't really know where that speed came from, have been struggling to maintain 9 min/mil since Paris... Must have been the scone and jam I had pre-race!

E mmy wrote (see)

Ooh -I like that one Suze! I might give that a go this weekend.

Excellent! What are you up to this weekend? Marathoning?

15West - I've done Paris and London twice and would recommend Paris over London. The route is a lot nicer - no skyrise office buildings to wind through, nor a 9 mile turnaround. I've found the atmosphere to be a lot nicer than London - there's an international feel in Paris which seems a lot more inclusive. It feels a bit more exciting too, I think that's because it is overseas. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

If you are looking for a marathon abroad then Paris is a great pick. Great city, good course and you'll find plenty of help and support in this thread. If you've already ran London I'd give Paris a turn.

Depending on when you set your GFA time for London I'm pretty sure that should stand for two years, unless they've changed the rules.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

PC: hehe that's me *blush* 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh, you get to choose your name for the front of your bib image hehe I can run as booktrunk. image trouble is I think I'd have to lie about my time.... Then get right to the back of the pen... I like the sound of the colour of the 3:45-3:59 bib more. I'm not a green person image&

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Hi 15West - Paris is not just a race, it's a long weekend.  If you book early, Eurostar and hotels are reasonable.  The race starts on the Champs à l'Elysee, past Place de la Concorde, along the Louvre, Bois des Vincenes then you head back along the Seine, get an Eye Full, up towards Ronald Garros and Longchamps, around Bois de Boulougne then finishing at Avenue Foch with the Arc de Triomphe in the back ground.  Being a GFA you probably won't have time to admire the sights.

Paris is fairly flat, many on here have PB the course.  It's well organised although we find excuses to have a grumble.  Many people have said that London is exceptionnal so wherever you go it's going to impossible to top but if you've already done London a few times then Paris is a great option.

Eggy wasn't being pretentious we are The Best Thread on the Forum.  There are loads of great people who are willing to share their knowledge if you need information on anything from accommodation to calf guards.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Booktrunk - That's the best way, choose a pen which is a bit ambitious and start from the back.  If training goes better than expect or you have a problem then it's easy to switch pens at the Expo, a lot of things can happen in 352 days.

Not meaning to embarrass you, affectionately people like you are called 'Nutters' and there are several on nutters here.  The thread evolves around Paris but many people do other races.  I think you know Emmy (30+ marathons last year), there is Weedy, Mr 7 marathons in 7 days, Dannirr and Running Rodent are off to Comrades, to mention only a few.  But beware of Scott !

• Options

Yes, it's the famous booktrunk, another veteran of the Ladybower race (although she did the full 50 miles, not the lightweight 35 option image) *waves*. 

Dont worry about the pens, you don't have to provide proof of time unless you're in the front one, and you can change pens at the Expo the day before, so it doesn't much matter what you put on the entry form.

• Options

Have just entered for 2015.  My first overseas marathon.  Already very excited, I might be unbearable come 12 months time!

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

MarmiteClaire - come on in!! We're open 24/7 365 days of the year. Marathon obsessing and over excitement is our gameimage

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Sod it, everyone seems very nice... Going to fill the form in nowimage 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Hello RR image I've signed up for it again this year, hope to just treat it as a 50m LSR this year, so not much quicker than last year, but have a race for 26.2m with Andi the sunday after up in Loch Ness. I also have got my first 100m coming up in October so LB should be a nice gentle training run. 

• Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Booktrunk:I had cancellation insurance.I looked into it and what I could make if it is,you need a doctors letter which you need to send to them.Its then a waiting game for the refund.It felt like too much hassle to me,I'm glad tho cos I would have probably opted out running in paris,now I've got a finishers medal instead.
  • Options
    JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    15 west: it's defo possible to get flights and accommodation cheap if you book early enough.Ive entered the ballot for London next year and find it incredible that the price is so low compared to other marathons
  • Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Eeeeps! I've signed up image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds good. When do people start booking hotels and transport? What is best area to stay.

BT you nutter!

• Options

Ooh lots of us now.  exciting isn't it.  just to get on with that training now then!

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

I'm now thinking Paris and London...if I join a club I could get myself a champs place at london which would be exciting. I may jog round Paris and "enjoy" the sights and go for it at london.

This may be a terrible idea though.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

15West - The best area in terms of the race is anywhere near the arc de triomphe. That's good for both the start and finish area. Although anywhere in Paris with a decent Metro link (Line 1 & 2) to that area is fine. Hotels in that area can be expensive, but booking apartments on airbnb is very popular and cheaper. Montmartre is a good area for cheaper hotels with a short Metro ride to the start.

From transport it depends where you are traveling from. The London based forumites tend to Eurostar it when the tickets become available. Everyone else tends to book a flight.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

NEW BLOOD image I love it!

15West wrote (see)

Hello all. I'm thinking of entering Paris next year as have done London for last couple of years and am tempted to try something a bit different and also have never ran a marathon abroad, and Paris fits nicely in the school hols.

But, I could still enter London using a GFA place, and London really is a special marathon and a bit of a bargain; whereas Paris could be quite pricey.

So, need some honest reviews if any of you are willing to persuade me or otherwise?

I said that i'd never run a race twice... and i'm going back to Paris for my third year next year. London - i've done once and would never do again. That kinda says it all for me...

PC - wrote (see)

Hi BookTrunk - Are you the lady that took up running a couple of years ago, went straight for a marathon, have done several since and a few utlras ???    If you are then wait a minute let me get the red carpet... If not, you're more than welcome to join us, pull up a chair and tell us about yourself.

The IMFAMOUS Booktrunk. Your legend and reputation proceeds you!

KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Thanks Eggy! I don't really know where that speed came from, have been struggling to maintain 9 min/mil since Paris... Must have been the scone and jam I had pre-race!

E mmy wrote (see)

Ooh -I like that one Suze! I might give that a go this weekend.

Excellent! What are you up to this weekend? Marathoning?

Duesseldorf on the count that i can secure a doggysitter for Sunday. I like the idea of a nice little german gaunt with beer.

MarmiteClaire wrote (see)

Have just entered for 2015.  My first overseas marathon.  Already very excited, I might be unbearable come 12 months time!

Welcome to the thread Claire! image Will you disown me because i dont like marmite? ;0)

booktrunk wrote (see)

Sod it, everyone seems very nice... Going to fill the form in nowimage 

We are.... I love everyone on this thread. Even Jimbob image

booktrunk wrote (see)

Hello RR image I've signed up for it again this year, hope to just treat it as a 50m LSR this year, so not much quicker than last year, but have a race for 26.2m with Andi the sunday after up in Loch Ness. I also have got my first 100m coming up in October so LB should be a nice gentle training run. 

YOU ARE MY IDOL. I love it how you call a marathon a gentle traini

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

...cont'd... a gentle training run image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'll need to remember Loch Ness is a gentle training run, particularly around mile 20 when no doubt I'll be in death march mode!

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

So I won't say I was really, really stupid and I'm doing the Spine Challenger in Januaryimage 

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I showed this page to my OH he called me a loony image 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    booktrunk wrote (see)

So I won't say I was really, really stupid and I'm doing the Spine Challenger in Januaryimage 

You're MENTAL. The Spine is an awesome challenge. Hows your navigation skills?image

booktrunk wrote (see)

I showed this page to my OH he called me a loony image 

Nah. You're not a loony. You're awesome. If he wants to look at loony tell him to look at the 100marathon clubimage One of the guys there is nearly up to 1000 marathons! As PC mentioned - you're amongst good friends image

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Welcome OT , pull up a chair, make yourself at home. image

• Options

Welcome BookTrunk, 15West and MarmiteClaire. 

Like they've all said Paris is awesome. I did it for the third time this year, but sadly will not be back in 2015. image And although hot this year it was a lovely little training run for whats to come!image

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Emmy. In need of improvement.... walked the first six miles, of the Pennines way, f**k me it's bloody steep, image got myself a compass and all the maps basically most weekend if I'm not doing a long run, I need to be out hiking with my oh and dog just getting time on feet, carrying a rucksack and map reading. Apparently my rucksack will be around 10-12kg. 

• Options

If you want training carrying a bag Booktrunk you could come do my job for a week and I could have a holiday??image

• Options

12kg ouch, I've just lost that in weight, not sure I want to hump that about.  Sounds amazing.  I'd get lost in the first mile.